The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-28-2018, 02:16 AM

Default LD Systems new offering - Maui P900 - wow...

If you ignore the price (which you would have to!) this looks as if it might be a very interesting piece of kit:

https://www.mauip900.ld-systems.com/

Bose have just lost the crown as the kings of the high price stick
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 03-28-2018, 03:29 AM

That is impressive. Regardless of sound or price, the design and ideas They put into this is great. I would love to hear this.

I could never see myself spending this, but it is impressive.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:06 AM

I can't see the price anywhere...what kind of insanity are we talking?

This thing is beautiful, by the way. It looks very capable.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

A new $4000 system with two inputs.

Okay.

I can't tell what/if the mixer is doing. The promo for that part of the system says "daring simplicity," and I think I know what that means.

I'm annoyed by the online presentation and lack of coffee, so that's coloring my response. I hate visuals that mostly show what the system would look like if you were an ant. And the "brochure" uses that lame make-believe-it's-a-magazine flipping-pages approach, I just don't have the time Maui.

I don't know what the deal is with Porsche design--I'm vaguely familiar with products they're involved in where they slap on a novel, sometimes attractive design on otherwise so-so products like a couple of Blackberry phones and then charge a ton more money.

I can't decide if this design is slightly weird or handsome; that's all in the eye of the beholder. I think I like the materials.

Anyway, to each his own. Spitballing, it seems like you can get more more performance for less money--and tons more for the same money.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:10 AM

Wow....that is a beautiful design, but......50 transducers? At some point in time (and I am gonna say that the "point in time" is reached long before the $4000 dollar mark), I would think one would be better served by getting multiple smaller units, as doing so would offer superior reliability (redundancy), scalability, and coverage.

Still, it is a really neat-looking piece of gear.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful design and with that many speakers and that much power it would likely be quite the incredible sounding and looking system. I notice no mention of weight and with aluminum body I imagine it would be quite a bit heavier than the Bose and other plastic bodied line array systems. Looks likes something that would be cool for a rich persons home stereo. Overkill for most of us as a gigging system even if we could afford it.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
A new $4000 system with two inputs.

Okay.

I can't tell what/if the mixer is doing. The promo for that part of the system says "daring simplicity," and I think I know what that means.

I'm annoyed by the online presentation and lack of coffee, so that's coloring my response. I hate visuals that mostly show what the system would look like if you were an ant. And the "brochure" uses that lame make-believe-it's-a-magazine flipping-pages approach, I just don't have the time Maui.

I don't know what the deal is with Porsche design--I'm vaguely familiar with products they're involved in where they slap on a novel, sometimes attractive design on otherwise so-so products like a couple of Blackberry phones and then charge a ton more money.

I can't decide if this design is slightly weird or handsome; that's all in the eye of the beholder. I think I like the materials.

Anyway, to each his own. Spitballing, it seems like you can get more more performance for less money--and tons more for the same money.
That really depends on how you look at these systems. If you need more inputs, this isn't the system to fit your use case. These are largely designed for solo and duo purposes, and if you want them for a band they are meant to be used in a 1-per-person configuration. More than 2 inputs almost defeats the purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
Wow....that is a beautiful design, but......50 transducers? At some point in time (and I am gonna say that the "point in time" is reached long before the $4000 dollar mark), I would think one would be better served by getting multiple smaller units, as doing so would offer superior reliability (redundancy), scalability, and coverage.

Still, it is a really neat-looking piece of gear.
As above, depends what you need. If you need all-in-one and really clean sight lines, spreading out your setup across multiple pieces turns into a liability.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:43 AM

It's the perfect solution for dudes with a lot of money who will use them in their multi-million dollar penthouse apartments, as pictured. For musicians who play out... not so much. LOL
Old 03-28-2018, 08:56 AM

@martinguitdave If you are already looking for something like the L1M2 with the B2 bass bin, something like this doesn't seem so crazy.

If I was doing solo and duo gigs exclusively for high end functions, it would be on my radar.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottledAwesome View Post
That really depends on how you look at these systems. If you need more inputs, this isn't the system to fit your use case. These are largely designed for solo and duo purposes, and if you want them for a band they are meant to be used in a 1-per-person configuration. More than 2 inputs almost defeats the purpose.
This has been discussed in detail so apologies for the repetition, but there are plenty of scenarios where a solo performer benefits from more than two inputs. Not to mention that most duos I participate in, and follow, require at least three and usually four inputs just for the basics.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:01 AM

Granted, seeing as my duo requires 3 minimum.

Nothing is stopping one from snagging a small mixer if they need more inputs. But at some point it becomes counterproductive.

A large variety of sources through a single stick (simultaneously) negates the benefit of these systems, which are at their best as personal amplification systems.

There's lots of choice out there. This would work for me. Might not work for you. No sweat off my back.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
@martinguitdave If you are already looking for something like the L1M2 with the B2 bass bin, something like this doesn't seem so crazy.

If I was doing solo and duo gigs exclusively for high end functions, it would be on my radar.
Clearly there is a market for the device. But, I don't think the "run of the mill" singer songwriter would go for this. It will be interesting to see how long they keep the product on the market before discontinuing.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

The L1M2 with a B2 is what I had in mind when I said it seems like you can get more performance for less money, and tons more for the same money. The L1M2 with a B2 = $2699, and for a mere (lol) $3198 they'll throw in the Tonematch T1, with four inputs, capable mixer with effects and saved scenes. And if you can wait for the annual 10% or 15% discounts, you'll pay even less. Maybe the Maui has a higher spl or something?

Incidentally, earlier this year I saw a L1M2 setup like that at a winery with an outstanding duo, two guitars, two voices.

Well, two guitars at at time. Throughout the day they played at least four different guitars and I think they had another line in for some percussion. If you think that two inputs were not enough for this duo, you would be right. Their outboard mixer had around 8 inputs IIRC.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Clearly there is a market for the device. But, I don't think the "run of the mill" singer songwriter would go for this. It will be interesting to see how long they keep the product on the market before discontinuing.
I get the idea that this piece isn't meant to be a big money maker. It is there to make a statement. YMMV.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:28 AM

There’s not really much useful information in this promo!
Martin J40

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification