The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-25-2018, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Default Pedal for uber-ambience effect

I'm looking for a small-ish footprint pedal that gives that real haunting ambience effect. Saw a guy in concert last night who used it on a few songs and loved it. Is this just a really good reverb pedal with multiple choices and amounts? I just tried a delay pedal thinking that would get me by but it did not give me what I wanted.

Suggestions?
Old 03-25-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I'm looking for a small-ish footprint pedal that gives that real haunting ambience effect. Saw a guy in concert last night who used it on a few songs and loved it. Is this just a really good reverb pedal with multiple choices and amounts? I just tried a delay pedal thinking that would get me by but it did not give me what I wanted.

Suggestions?

Can’t go wrong with one of these
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TC-Elect...fects-Pedal.gc
Old 03-25-2018, 09:16 AM

I can get some interesting sounds out of my A3 pedal.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 03-25-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post

Suggestions?
It's hard to tell from your description just what effect you're talking about. It could be be any number of reverbs and/or delays. Can you link to a recording or video that gives an example of what you're looking for?

Louis
Old 03-25-2018, 10:29 AM

For a one stop shop single pedal, you might not get what you're looking for but any of the delay/reverb combo pedals should get you a good way towards doing the job.
The Wampler Ethereal, the Keeley Caverns and the Earthquaker Devices Avalanche Run are the immediate ones that come to mind, they should be at least in the ballpark of what you're looking for.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:38 AM

The Neunaber WET (stereo if it applies to your situation) is a great choice for this.

They have a few other pedals that riff on the same concept depending on how much you want going on in the reverb, but the WET by itself is a great choice.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:09 PM

been toying around for awhile and haven't come
up with a pedal yet that floats my boat but it's fun
trying them out. I recently paired a hall of fame
2 with a tremelo pedal that was kind of cool and
otherworldly. i think i used spring and church on
the hof. With the tone cranked right and the level
about 10:30 ..depth about noon..
One of the nicest ones i've used is old school rack
mount unit called alesis midiverb. (ebay 50 bucks) 80s technology.
setting 23 was my favorite with guitar and mandolin.
I think tommy emanuel used one of these.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsone View Post
For a one stop shop single pedal, you might not get what you're looking for but any of the delay/reverb combo pedals should get you a good way towards doing the job.
The Wampler Ethereal, the Keeley Caverns and the Earthquaker Devices Avalanche Run are the immediate ones that come to mind, they should be at least in the ballpark of what you're looking for.
Spent a bunch of time on YouTube looking at some pedals and this one seems to offer a lot of what I'm looking for. Right around the 11:15 mark is kind of what I'm looking for.

The Mooer Ocean Machine is pretty sick too. Over the top but I like the built in looper. Skip ahead to the 9 minute mark.

Last edited by Methos1979; 03-25-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:40 PM

I hadn't seen that video, but the Wampler looks and sounds like a great start point.

My personal setup for any ambient bits i play is a 3 pedal setup (hopefully with a 4th eventually) its a Neunaber stereo wet, one of the most incredible reverb sounds for this style you will find, a TC Electronic delay pedal, and a volume pedal. I plan to acquire (one fine day) a POG or some other polyphonic type pedal.
I think the Stereo wet does a really good job on its own, but having the delay kicks it over into the real ambient endlessness and the volume pedal can take some of the initial attack out of the notes even if not always fully swelling in and out, just to keep the whole sound rolling along.

If i was coming from your side and just wanted one pedal to plug in and go, for something you don't do often, that Wampler is a nice option. if you wanted to get more into it, having a bunch of pedals builds up the sounds in a way a single pedal can't and also gives you a bunch of different sonic options.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:09 PM

Strymon timeline? I've never used one myself but it seems to make any instrument sound as large as the universe.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 03-25-2018, 07:50 PM

3rd-ing the recommendation for Neunaber WET (or Immerse if you want more tweaking). The Neunaber stuff is dead simple and just sounds deep-lush-ambient. Their tones really just leave me in a trance.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:05 PM

Electro Harmonix Canyon Delay on "shim."
Old 03-25-2018, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottledAwesome View Post
The Neunaber WET (stereo if it applies to your situation) is a great choice for this.

They have a few other pedals that riff on the same concept depending on how much you want going on in the reverb, but the WET by itself is a great choice.
+1 on Neunaber! ...I use a Seraphim that is very haunting and angelic. It offers a wide range of reverb AND shimmer effects, plus it is small. You order directly from Neunaber too.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:47 AM

I have this pedal on my board. Replaced a Timeline and Big Sky with it. Much more compact and much cheaper! The Strymons were overkill once I had ditched my electric to go all acoustic. The Specular Tempus gives some beautiful ambient tones, from subtle to deep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNz7NHp25Qc
Old 03-26-2018, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

The Strymon pedals are really quite something but they are over the top expensive for what I'm looking for/need. Can't find the Neunaber pedals on Amazon (surprisingly) so thank Noledog for the top that they must be ordered direct. Will check out a few of those as well.

I now know that shimmer reverb is primarily the effect I'm looking for. I am primarily looking for a decent pedal that is easy and fun to use with minimal footprint (for my music stand setup) and minimal price only because it's an effect that will be used sparingly.

The Wampler Ethereal is still a contender. It's a little on the large side for the music stand but I can get it in there. It's also on the upper end of price and it's more complex than I need but I do like the ability to use it for more than I need. It would be fun to experiment with different reverbs and delays.

Then there is the Mooer Ocean Machine which is way of the top in size, complexity and price (still well below Strymon price though). It would have to go on the floor but it would have to anyway since I would need to use my foot for the looper function. And that's the only reason I'm considering this unit is because of the built in looper.

So I'm off to YouTube to listen to a bunch of the pedals listed above which I found with a search on YT of reverb shimmer! I'll be back to tell you what more I learned and ultimately which way I went since I want to get this thing ordered!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification