The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Default signs your guitar needs set up

How does one know when your guitar needs a professional set up?
My Webber plays real nice. I lowered the saddle a touch when I got it because I wanted it to play a little easier. But.........can it play nicer?? What will a Luthier look for if I take it to him??

dgd
Old 03-03-2011, 04:14 PM

Here's what I do and, more or less, what most luthiers do:

http://web.me.com/charlestauber/luth...r_Setup_1.html
Old 03-04-2011, 11:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

Could your guitar play nicer? Do you like how it plays now? If yes, I would say enjoy it. Getting the last few thousandths out of a great setup is do-able, but can sometimes be a lot more work than it's worth (and cost more too). We get tons of guys into our shop that greet us with a line like "Can you fix the buzzing and lower the action?"

My advice is don't be too greedy. If your guitar plays smooth, leave it. Now if you've never had a professional setup before, by all means, take it to a reputable luthier or repairman, and get him (her) to take a look at it. If you've never felt really good, maybe you don't know what it is. However, the caveat is if you like it now, why mess with it?

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair