The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-30-2008, 06:13 PM

Default Godin 5th Avenue, Finally My Review!

Well, after badgering others on this forum to review the new Godin archtop for me, I finally received my own cognac burst 5th Avenue today. It really looks and feels great. The finish is typical of a Seagull Coastline, that is, sort of a satin sheen, but shinier than matte. The top wood grain is a little distracting as it looks a bit like plywood, but the cognac burst really is nice and subtle. The action was high out of the box, but a couple turns of the thumb screws on the adjustable bridge did the trick. I really like the thinner body, too -- it's only 3" deep.

As for the sound, it's very snappy and midrangey, of course, but it has a hint of bass, which is more than I can say for the old Kay guitars it is emulating. Jazz and blues comping is what this guitar was meant for and it might be sort of a niche guitar. Open cowboy chords sounded a little metallic to my ears, but that might be the strings, too. Perhaps this guitar will prod me to learn more old jazz standards and swing tunes. Well worth the money, I think, but I'll have to see where this one fits in the collection.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:42 PM

Saw one of those in the latest GP...thought they sounded like a nice niche guitar for a small $ investment...looking forward to hearing your further impressions?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:43 PM

Default Received mine last week

My wife gave me one for my birthday. I love to play bluegrass, and it is a fun guitar for that! I am really liking it...and I would agree with the reviews I have read so far..it is an archtop and has a different sound. It plays very well, and the action was high on mine as well. I love the looks, and the sound is different than any other guitar I own, so that is just what I like.

I am a very happy owner, and for such an affordable gutiar..it is a huge value.

I wrote Godin to find out what strings it comes with and they replied it comes set up with Phosphor Bronze 12-53's.

Here are some pictures of mine I took last night.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:49 PM

Default Godan

I learned to play on a Harmony that was much like this. I may have to get one of these to hang in my studio to keep me grounded. Oh wait...I am already grounded. My wife won't let me out of the house until I promise not to buy any new guitars. DANG.... "Catch 22"

(Really nice pix photomat.)
Ayers O-07CX
Guild Starfire IV
Godin 5th Avenue Archtop
Ibanez AF200 Archtop (Japanese Made)
John Webb Hand carved 17 inch Archtop Astoria Model

Author: "How to Play Guitar In One Easy Lesson...
If the Lesson Lasts Fifty Years"[/I]
Old 07-02-2008, 05:13 PM

Hey Photomat, does your 5th Avenue have an adjustable truss rod? I took off the cover plate on the headstock and found a deep hole!

I'm still trying to decide what I think of this guitar. It's much brighter sounding than I expected, which I think is good (better than muddy sounding). I think I would be more impressed with it if I had not played Tom Ribbecke's Halfling Archtop in Montreal last Sunday!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:36 PM

I will take a look tomorrow and let you know.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:54 PM

Historically, I don't think phosphor bronze strings are appropriate for a guitar of that style. I'd try some ground wound (semi-flat) nickel strings and see what they do for the sound. I'd probably start with .013s.

Bryan
Old 07-03-2008, 02:04 PM

I love the natural yet classy look to it. It may warrant looking into one myself! Thanks for the review!
Old 07-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

i just ordered one of these, (same as photomat) from musicians friend- they had a 15% off coupon.........for $*** i had to pull the trigger and for once what i was yearning for was not on their exclusion list.

Last edited by Forensicguy; 07-07-2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: price discussions not allowed per forum rules
Old 07-03-2008, 07:45 PM

Sweet... I would very much like to get one! I have always been impressed with the value that the entire Godin line offers...

Hey now, is that coupon deal still good?
Old 07-04-2008, 03:05 AM
Charter Member

it was good for 4 days starting yesterday.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:16 AM

Music 123, the same company has a 20% coupon, this weekend.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:33 AM

Great pictures photomat...that's a nice looking guitar. I'm looking forward to trying one when they hit the local stores. It reminds me of my first guitar, a Sears Silvertone archtop in sunburst.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

musicians friend is matching the discount- that plus free shipping and no tax ....music123 charges tax in some states...........made it all the sweeter. just tell the MF operator that you have the JULY4th coupon from Music123...........
Old 07-04-2008, 08:13 AM
strummin' an x12

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomat View Post
My wife gave me one for my birthday. I love to play bluegrass, and it is a fun guitar for that!
Speaking of fun, it even comes with a Mini Me.

At least, that was my first impression, viewing your top two pics side by side (as they appear[ed] on my screen). :-)

What a beautiful guitar, and awesome pictures,too. Thanks for sharing!

- Sarah S.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops