The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-17-2018, 03:33 PM

I have used both passive and active pickup systems. Active systems are best when you need to plug into a multitude of systems (with and without DI) and need the best chance of a good impedance match and gain control, and sometimes tone control. Passive pickups are great if you always carry a DI or control your own sound.

Other than Trance Phantom and MiSi (maybe some other new offerings) everything needs a battery. Most systems will give you 100 hours or more of stage time. The battery bag is simple and works. I use Energizer Lithium 9V which just about double the battery life. They are a little lighter too.

Passive is great if it works with your amplification workflow. It’s more troubling than a battery if you don’t always have control of what you’re plugging the other end of the guitar cable into.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I have used both passive and active pickup systems. Active systems are best when you need to plug into a multitude of systems (with and without DI) and need the best chance of a good impedance match and gain control, and sometimes tone control. Passive pickups are great if you always carry a DI or control your own sound.

Other than Trance Phantom and MiSi (maybe some other new offerings) everything needs a battery. Most systems will give you 100 hours or more of stage time. The battery bag is simple and works. I use Energizer Lithium 9V which just about double the battery life. They are a little lighter too.

Passive is great if it works with your amplification workflow. It’s more troubling than a battery if you don’t always have control of what you’re plugging the other end of the guitar cable into.

What martingitdave said! True words of wisdom
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-18-2018, 12:06 AM

I am one of the few barn-door propagators around and it's definitely a great solution for working musicians. A lot of acoustic guitar professionals also use barn-door preamps to have greater control over EQ/volume/feedback issues so don't let the fear of having a hole get to you! Soundports are great anyway if you eventually choose to have a gaping hole at the side
Old 04-18-2018, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

I have used my new Emerald X20 with a Baggs battery in a bag for seven months, and so far no problems...well, in the sound setup for a performance a few weeks ago, we found there was a weak signal from my guitar. With the offset soundhole, it was easy to reach in to access the battery and replace it. While I would still prefer a more secure attachment method than velcro, it seems to work okay.

Last edited by zeeway; 04-18-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 12:54 PM

Default Baggs/D-100 udate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHytonen View Post
IME it's not the bag that's a problem - it's the battery (or the AnthemSL.)
Even without playing it or plugging in, the strings last WAY longer than a battery - or two, three, or four batteries. Even without using it, the (fresh Duracell 9v) battery's down after only a few days.
Changing it often, is a problem with locking cutoff tuners.
It costs you a set of strings. (And I hate new strings!)

I'm moving the batttery outside the guitar, and using a rechargeable
(Sanyo Eneloop NIMH made for pedalboards) mounted on the strap (like a radio,) on a 36" (snap to barrel) cable. I may even make a flat ribbon cable for it, to go along the outside of the guitar - if I can find cable that's not white.....

Those batteries have a charge indicator on them -and they come in black.
UPDATE: I ran a thin cable out the tone hole, along the fingerboard/top joint and a mini-connector at the neck joint (bass side of course. Anyway, I almost never play acoustic that far up the neck.) BTW- with the Baggs, the big battery (important), & a WIIO (HiWatt, clean) pedal; the $100 Epiphone D-100 Dreadnought sounds better than a Martin (imo) and the listeners RAVE about the guitar sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification