The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-26-2018, 10:33 AM

Default Tonedexter w/Fishman Loudbox Mini + QSC K8

Just a quick note. I was using a parametric EQ (Tech 21 Q\Strip) to attempt to get the Tonedexter to sound natural through my Fishman Loudbox mini as either a primary speaker or a monitor with output to powered speakers.

I was successful. However...

I found that the Fishman Loudbox Mini (and potentially other Acoustic Amps) are really designed to take a 1/4" input directly from a guitar's pickup / preamp. The Mini colors the sound in ways that are helpful when going direct but potentially counterproductive when coming from the Tonedexter.

I found that I was making some pretty significant EQ adjustments to counteract the internal coloration of the Mini and I ended up with a somewhat "processed" vs natural sound. I was able to keep things much flatter (and hence, natural-sounding) when running through a QSC K8.

The combination of the Mini and K8 doesn't really work for me, as I would have to EQ for the Mini (monitor) and then hope the XLR-out would carry the Mini's coloration with it to get the same tone from the K8. This is unlikely. And best-case, I would be delivering a "processed" sound to the audience.

I think I'll use the Mini when I go direct (a Jam for example) and potentially buy a K8.2 to use as monitor with my existing K8 as a main when I have the ability to run my own PA. Or retire my current K8 and run a K8.2 monitor and a K10.2 main
Old 03-26-2018, 10:36 AM

I could try the XLR input on the Mini but that's dedicated to my microphone. My pedalboard is configured for 1/4" out and I don't want to run an external mixer. So I think 1/4" it is...
Old 03-26-2018, 01:16 PM

Give the Auxiliary Input on the back a try as it is an uncolored input. I am pretty sure the Mini has some fixed eq built into it on the regular input channels.

If you are running through a parametric eq use the line level output from it when using tbe Aux input. The master volume controls the total output from that Aux signal so put it on half and dial the level from the parametric starting at zero so as to not saturate the aux input and possibly burn it out.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_G View Post
Give the Auxiliary Input on the back a try as it is an uncolored input.
Awesome idea!! Thanks!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification