The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-02-2017, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Taming the Beast

My room is small. It's treated but because of layout constrictions (doors, windows, and equipment), the treatment isn't ideal. I can't get bass traps in all the places I really need them so I'm still dealing with some recording issues. I've been thinking that I should add some kind of gobo to the mix and found this on GIK Acoustic's site. Two is probably what I'll need but there's no savings in buying both at the same time, so I ordered one for now (bright red with white veneer).

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-02-2017, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Looks like a useful design.

I made my gobos in a somewhat similar manner. I used door hinges so I can connect them together or disconnect when I want to store them.

I'm not concerned about vocals, just playing guitar while seated. So I made mine 5' high and 2' wide (4" depth using semi-rigid rockwool) with open backs. I usually connect 4 gobos together which gives me 4' width with 2' sides. I often put another gobo over the top for reflections off the ceiling. Not like a good treated room, but it gives me a pretty dead space to work with.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 11-02-2017, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I'm not concerned about vocals, just playing guitar while seated. So I made mine 5' high and 2' wide (4" depth using semi-rigid rockwool) with open backs. I usually connect 4 gobos together which gives me 4' width with 2' sides. I often put another gobo over the top for reflections off the ceiling. Not like a good treated room, but it gives me a pretty dead space to work with.
These are 6'6" high which is nice since I like to stand when I lay down vocals. I've got 3 2'x4' panels on the ceiling over my recording area, so I'm good there.

My room is only 11'x9', and as I said earlier, the placement of the door and two windows makes putting the bass traps in the ideal locations impossible given where the gear is laid out (and I can't really work that out any better either). So maybe with this gobo, the three bass traps I have in place already, and the one bass trap that's moveable, I can eliminate some of the nastiness the room imparts. I may have to grab a second of these but I'll make that call after I see how things pan out with the one.

YouTube
Old 11-03-2017, 06:50 AM

I have my bass traps (4" rockwool, 24"x48") hung on wall hooks, so can easily take two of the rear wall ones and set them up in a 'V' in front of me, or lean one against/in front of an amp as needed. I have front wall traps, and one on the side wall against the front corner making a nice trapped corner that I face when doing vocals (standing).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-03-2017, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
My room is small. It's treated but because of layout constrictions (doors, windows, and equipment), the treatment isn't ideal. I can't get bass traps in all the places I really need them so I'm still dealing with some recording issues. I've been thinking that I should add some kind of gobo to the mix and found this on GIK Acoustic's site. Two is probably what I'll need but there's no savings in buying both at the same time, so I ordered one for now (bright red with white veneer).
I use GIK absorption panels, great company, some photos when you get it set up would be cool

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-03-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
... maybe with this gobo, the three bass traps I have in place already, and the one bass trap that's moveable, I can eliminate some of the nastiness the room imparts.
Part of the issue with these one-room situations is that it's so hard to tell what your treatment has accomplished because you're listening to the result in the same room. If you have, say, a buildup in the mid-bass, things get recorded that way and when you play them back you get another dose of it. A two-fer.

Couch Standards
Old 11-03-2017, 08:35 AM

What exactly are these used for (as opposed to acoustic foam or bass traps)?

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 11-03-2017, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I use GIK absorption panels, great company, some photos when you get it set up would be cool
Will do. The shipping date is Nov. 10, so it should arrive the following week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Part of the issue with these one-room situations is that it's so hard to tell what your treatment has accomplished because you're listening to the result in the same room. If you have, say, a buildup in the mid-bass, things get recorded that way and when you play them back you get another dose of it. A two-fer.
True, but my situation is what it is until I retire and move into a bigger house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
To cut down on reflections ...trying to create a good smaller space inside a problematic room.

YouTube
Old 11-03-2017, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
These would be used as a portable iso booth... foam and bass traps are generally fixed position

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 11-04-2017, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Jim1960 & Friends - fr alohachris

Aloha Jim & Friends,

I really like the dimensions of those panels. Very Attractive looking. But to me, there are way too many reflective surfaces there: plywood faces & wooden frames are actually the antithesis of what we're trying to do with home & studio treatment, right? Despite all the pukas for foam.

I'd make your own DIY Owens-Corning OC 703 4"x2'x4' broadband absorbers a la Fran Guidry - without all the hard surfaces. You can make them in any dimension. They really work well for my purposes. No frames either. And mine are portable & free-standing so I can place them where needed.

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...-on-the-cheap/

My absorbers are also strategically placed around & above my mixing/mastering desk & also in the corners of the room as bass traps. All this for simple acoustic recordings - Ha! It's simple & relatively cheap compared to GIF or the panels in the picture.

Metering the room will tell you everything about where the trouble reflections are & where treatment should be placed.

Most home player/recordists freak out about how to make Room Treatment, where to place it, thinking it must be permanent or expensive, or worse, only think about it when they can't get consistency in their recordings. However, Room Treatment is absolutely necessary for just about all mic recording & is actually quite easy to do cheaply.

Of course, much depends on what you're trying to sonically achieve as well & what works in your space, budget & interest in DIY. I can get audible sonic differences in my recordings by varying the spacing of my free-standing absorbers to allow more or less room in my tracking area, depending on what I want to hear. I never achieved consistent recording results (after 35+ years of trying) until I made the full commitment to Room Treatment & learned how to use it about 15 years ago.

Just my opinions, Jim.

A Hui Hou & Good Luck, Jim!

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 11-04-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha Jim & Friends,

I really like the dimensions of those panels. Very Attractive looking. But to me, there are way too many reflective surfaces there: plywood faces & wooden frames are actually the antithesis of what we're trying to do with home & studio treatment, right? Despite all the pukas for foam.

Just my opinions, Jim.

A Hui Hou & Good Luck, Jim!

alohachris
"antithesis" per se ? actually not necessarily, diffusion ( specifically off of wooden surfaces) as well as absorption, is often employed in live tracking rooms and according to GIK these panels include diffusion and absorption in the design. Now how well they accomplish that, is different question.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 11-05-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Aloha Jim & Friends,

As KevWind has already pointed out, rooms are often treated with diffusion as well as absorption. And I should point out as well that I'm also trying to think ahead with this purchase. I'm retiring in 8 months and my plan is to relocate and buy a much larger home that will have a room much better suited to treatment and recording. For now, I have to deal with what I have. This panel may or may not work well for me in my current situation. I'll know that after I try it out. But I do think, given its versatility, it could be useful down the road, so I don't feel like I'm taking an all or nothing gamble with it.

Quote:
I'd make your own DIY...It's simple & relatively cheap compared to GIF or the panels in the picture.
I appreciate the suggestion but honestly, I have no interest in taking on a DIY project. My personal economics, thankfully, don't dictate a need to go in that direction, and from an aesthetic perspective, I prefer a more polished look then I'd likely be able to achieve doing it myself.

Quote:
Most home player/recordists freak out about how to make Room Treatment, where to place it, thinking it must be permanent or expensive, or worse, only think about it when they can't get consistency in their recordings. However, Room Treatment is absolutely necessary for just about all mic recording & is actually quite easy to do cheaply.
No need to sell me on the importance of room treatment. I have four 2'x'4'x4" bass traps in this room and a ceiling cloud made up of three 2'x'4'x3" absorbers. As I said earlier in this thread, however, the layout of the room prevents me from putting the bass traps in ideal locations so the room is still problematic. I'm hoping these panels will allow me to create a better space in one corner. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the input though.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD