The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-17-2008, 05:19 PM

Default $200 practice amp with mic input

I'm looking for a practice amp to use primarily at home. Requirements are:

1) new only
2) must have input for mic
3) would like aux inputs too
3) $200 max

Based on reading online reviews and past posts in this forum, I have narrowed it down to the following:

- Vox DA5 with the Jensen Mod 6-15 upgrade
- Vox DA10 (no speaker upgrade)
- Crate CA-15 Cimarron
- Roland CM-30

Primary use will be home practice to figure out if I actually can play the guitar and sing at the same time (the jury is still out on if I can do either one of these things separately). Mostly acoustic guitar (Taylor 214 with Fishman Matrix Infinify or maybe the occasional strat) and mic. Playing along with an aux input could prove to be fun and useful also.

I am not an acoustic purist. I don't care if my guitar "sounds just like my guitar only louder" as long as it still has a pleasant, accoustic-y sound.

I bow to the collective wisdom of the AGF...
Help me spend my $200.

thanks,
Scott
Old 11-17-2008, 05:30 PM

Use a pair of Roland Cm-30s for small venues and use them singly as a small amp when needed.Use them as recording monitors at home. Swiss Army Knife of monitors.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:23 PM

The DA-5 is an excellent choice. So is the CM-30, and it has a lot of flexibility, but does not run on batteries or have effects. But I would suggest the DA-5, especially if beginning, since you might want to play around with the effects by a waterfall somewhere.....:-)

I also would look at the Roland Mobile Cube, which is small, sounds great, and is very flexible (I also have that). I sold my DA-10 (modded with speakers) for the CM-30, since the DA-5 is plenty loud enough for casual gigs even on batteries.....
Old 11-17-2008, 09:59 PM

Hey Chuck...just the guy I was hoping to drag into this little thread. Interesting that you sold off my option #2 to buy my option #4. Guess that narrows me down to two choices. Since volume doesn't seem to be a problem, looks like I'm landing on the DA5. I had a MicroCube that was cool, but didn't quite have enough bottom end. Hoping the DA5 will resolve that while still being flexible, portable and loud enough.

I'm gonna have to get one with the cloth grill cover...can't stand the metal for whatever reason.

Was the swap to the Jensen speaker a fairly straightforward affair? I've built some furniture and installed the Fishman pickup into my Taylor...how hard could a speaker swap be, right?

thanks,
Scott
Old 11-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Liberty Trio

I think the Crate CA15 Cimarron has only one input.

For two inputs, I think you need the CA30 Taos, but it is about $30 +/- over you price mark.

'87 Guild GF-30 Bld (blonde)
'89 Seagull S-Black Velvet
'06 R. Taylor Series 1 (koa)
All 3 Taylor Liberty Tree Guitars
2 mandolins, 2 dulcimers, 1 mandola, 2 bodhrans

"It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are."
--Red Green, "The New Red Green Show"
Old 11-17-2008, 11:53 PM

The swap to the DA5 is very straightforward; the DA-10 required some scraping around. The problem for me with all the Cubes (except the Mobile Cube) was that they weren't FRFR, necessary for acoustic.

The DA5 isn't FRFR even with the Jensen, but it is pretty **** close, and sounds very good. I think the DA10 is better, but it is bigger and heavier - it does use a standard cord instead of a wall wart, if that is important to you.

However the effects are identical, and you probably won't notice the difference in power; 1.5 watts will fill a living room very well indeed.

But the Mobile Cube and the BR-600 (which I use for my amp and effects/drum machine) now fit in the sport pack of my motorcycle, and I don't even have to bring my computer for simple backing tracks.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekeeman View Post
Hey Chuck...just the guy I was hoping to drag into this little thread. Interesting that you sold off my option #2 to buy my option #4. Guess that narrows me down to two choices. Since volume doesn't seem to be a problem, looks like I'm landing on the DA5. I had a MicroCube that was cool, but didn't quite have enough bottom end. Hoping the DA5 will resolve that while still being flexible, portable and loud enough.

I'm gonna have to get one with the cloth grill cover...can't stand the metal for whatever reason.

Was the swap to the Jensen speaker a fairly straightforward affair? I've built some furniture and installed the Fishman pickup into my Taylor...how hard could a speaker swap be, right?

thanks,
Scott
Old 11-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Go by your nearest Guitar Center and try one of the little Acoustic AG30's. Combo 1/4" or xlr inputs on each channel, 30 watts, effects, plus an Aux input. Has a nice monitor-wedge shape that will point the sound up at you. I played through a friend's AG60 (60 watt version) and was pleasantly surprised. I haven't tried the AG30 as yet, but it is exactly at the price you're looking to pay ($199). Should be worth checking out.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:16 AM

Default DA5 is the winner...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've finally decided on the DA5. It looks like this should do everything I want it to do for now. If I ever upgrade to a full-blown acoustic amp or PA, it will still be a nice little portable amp to have around.

thanks,
Scott
Old 11-18-2008, 01:21 PM

Don't overlook this Behringer.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification