The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2017, 11:12 AM

Default Lowden O25c vs. 032c (Cedar vs. Sitka Spruce)

I'm planning on getting one of these guitars, but I'm really not sure which to get. I play acoustic fingerstyle (think Mike Dawes/Calum Graham). I know that cedar is warmer and more complex, while sitka is brighter less complex, but I still have no clue what I want. Any thoughts?
Old 09-16-2017, 11:19 AM

Traditionally, cedar has been used by fingerstylists, sprune for flatpicking or strumming.

Have you tried playing the guitars to see if you like the sound they make? That's more important.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:32 AM

If we are speaking 'generally' with all things being equal:
- bracing
- build
- etc.

Then, yes. Cedar will have a warmth and immediacy whereas Spruce will have brightness and clarity.

In the O configuration, regardless of wood, you should expect resonance and increased bottom end. I have a Lowden S-25, that despite its 'parlor' size, produces a very big sound with plenty of low end.

I would imagine that if you want to play the larger body, it would be 'easier' to coax a variety of sounds with the Cedar top while playing fingerstyle.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

i would say both would suit the music of the two guitarists you mention. A responsive Spruce topped guitar such as a Lowden is just as suitable to fingerstyle (modern or trad) as a Cedar topped guitar, both bring something different to the mix. I enjoy playing both.

It might help to consider what it is about Lowdens that attract you and whether this dictates one or the other. If I was not sure and couldn't try the guitars I would more likely go for the Sitka topped guitar as a more versatile option.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 09-16-2017, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

I have a 035, cedar and Rosewood. Very warm guitar with strong mids. I use it as a gig guitar as the mids punch through for lead playing. It's a very nice fingerstyle guitar and superb in open tunings.
I prefer darker less bright tones so for me the 035 is just what I was looking for .
The cedar top is very soft and after two years of hard playing I have a wear spot near the sound hole where my fingers rub when I strum, something of nothing but similarly used spruce tops I have do not have this.
For me it's the perfect combination and I adore the instrument.
Good luck with what ever you choose, Lowdens are yummy regardless of wood combination so I don't think you'll be able to go wrong.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
Traditionally, cedar has been used by fingerstylists, sprune for flatpicking or strumming.

Have you tried playing the guitars to see if you like the sound they make? That's more important.

I've played the o25c and it sounded great but i want to play the sitka before buying one. Unfortunately, there aren't any lowden dealers in D.C.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
i would say both would suit the music of the two guitarists you mention. A responsive Spruce topped guitar such as a Lowden is just as suitable to fingerstyle (modern or trad) as a Cedar topped guitar, both bring something different to the mix. I enjoy playing both.

It might help to consider what it is about Lowdens that attract you and whether this dictates one or the other. If I was not sure and couldn't try the guitars I would more likely go for the Sitka topped guitar as a more versatile option.

Alright, thanks for the advice!
Old 09-16-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinwangmusic View Post
I know that cedar is warmer and more complex, while sitka is brighter less complex, but I still have no clue what I want. Any thoughts?
eh - no it don't quite work like that in Lowdie land - go try them.

Last edited by westman; 09-16-2017 at 12:38 PM. Reason: sp
Old 09-16-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
eh - no it don't quite work like that in Lowdie land - go try them.

I have tried some. What do you think it's like?
Old 09-16-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I'm planning on getting one of these guitars, but I'm really not sure which to get. I play acoustic fingerstyle (think Mike Dawes/Calum Graham). I know that cedar is warmer and more complex, while sitka is brighter less complex, but I still have no clue what I want. Any thoughts?
Quote:
I have tried some. What do you think it's like?
I would suggest that you disregard the material altogether and pick the guitar that speaks to you most. When it is all said it done, it will be the 'great sounding instrument that just so happens to be <insert top wood here>'.

I agree with the previous poster when it comes to Lowdens. The build and the shape result in a guitar that is incredibly responsive and resonant. Adding to my previous post regarding my S-25...a smaller guitar should have more 'focus', however I find the guitar to produce a sound with so much more harmonic overtones than my two larger square shouldered guitars.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:19 PM
Get off my lawn kid

All my guitars, with one exception are either spruce or hog top. The one cedar I have is unremarkable. Acquiring a cedar top of good quality is on my "to do" list. I play finger style ranging from Irish laments to blues and so far the spruce and mahogany are fine though. As Sutherland pointed out, find the one that says take me home. Sometimes what you think you want and really want aren't the same thing.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-16-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I know that cedar is warmer and more complex, while sitka is brighter less complex, but I still have no clue what I want.
Not sure I agree with this. If anything, I would say spruce is more complex than cedar, but I'm not sure I would subscribe to that either.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:00 PM

I have an O25 and I use it for strumming and fingerstyle. It has a big, complex, and rich tone. If I had a spruce topped Lowden O series then it would also have a big, complex, and rich tone.

It's about the builder, not the wood. Whichever one you get, it'll be a very fine instrument.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
I have an O25 and I use it for strumming and fingerstyle. It has a big, complex, and rich tone. If I had a spruce topped Lowden O series then it would also have a big, complex, and rich tone.

It's about the builder, not the wood. Whichever one you get, it'll be a very fine instrument.
Yep, what he said!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 09-16-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post

Ok, thank you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
lowden