The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-14-2017, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Unless the Lotto ticket comes in, I doubt I will ever own one - maybe a heavy scratched used one in a few years time after Mr Gomm or such is finished with it!....
Jon Gomm has his own Signature model from Lowden. I think he will be using that after his old Lowden gets too thin...

and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 06-14-2017, 05:58 AM

Since we have Alastair on the line - how about telling us about the qualities of this wood from a serious tone perspective? It can't be all marketing after all.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 06-15-2017, 12:17 PM

[QUOTE=Dru Edwards;5372159]I received the Lowden email on it. "... only eight are available to buy". I'm guessing the cost is out of my range by a factor of many but I'd love to try one.[/QUOT
As I am going to be in Ireland, and near the Lowden shop I also received an email from Lowden as to pricing....11K
The only guitar I ever bought with out playing it first was my SCGC 1934 custom. As I have owned 4 prior SCGC instruments I had a high degree of confidence as to how the 1934 would sound.
From what I read here on the AGF the Lowden sound is unique.....
But I to will have to hear/play one before spending that much.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 06-15-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
Since we have Alastair on the line - how about telling us about the qualities of this wood from a serious tone perspective? It can't be all marketing after all.
George is a big fan of redwood soundboards. We made one Bog Oak/Redwood prototype a few months ago and discovered that it had a lovely mellow tone.
Redwood offers a warmth and clarity that really suits our guitars and in the right wood combo can give amazing sparkle and note separation.
That said, we were all surprised by the mellow warmth and depth of bass that the Bog Oak lent to the sound. Very unique and different to anything else we have to offer!
Old 06-15-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Jon Gomm has his own Signature model from Lowden. I think he will be using that after his old Lowden gets too thin...

Which is why it has a two-ply top! I saw Jon recently and Wilma is really is starting to look battered - won't be the same with a new guitar, though.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Which is why it has a two-ply top! I saw Jon recently and Wilma is really is starting to look battered - won't be the same with a new guitar, though.
The official version is that he had two prototypes: solid top and spruce/cedar laminate - and much preferred the sound of the laminate.
and a guitar-shaped-object

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
lowden, whiskey