The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-13-2021, 02:29 AM

Default Martin 000-18 Questions

I'm thinking about going down the Martin Custom shop route and was speccing up a 000-18 with Adirondack top and sinker mahogany back and sides. A couple of questions, as I am predominantly a strummer, would the short scale length still be suitable for this method of playing? Also, would a different top have any bearing on what to choose based on a strumming style?

I have also specced up D18 and OM28 models so any advice would be much appreciated. I will not be taking this guitar out of my home and it's for my own personal pleasure in the comfort of my own living room.

I 'think' I have a preference for mahogany over rosewood but don't think that would be a deal breaker.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:56 AM

I don’t see why the short scale would influence strumming or not. I prefer short scale guitars because I have small hands and correspondingly short fingers. Therefore, I find short scale guitars more comfortable. In the same way, I avoid Dreadnaughts which are just too big for me.

By coincidence, I have been looking at the possibility of a 000-18 and a couple of other models might be an influence on me (000-17 and 000-28) but I have suspended the idea for the moment because there is a shortage of stock here in the UK (and probably elsewhere) and for the amount of money that would be spent, I would like to play any prospective new instrument before I buy.

I, too, like the sound of mahogany and my other preference would be a modified low oval neck shape, again because of my hand size. I find them much more comfortable than the modified V.
Old 06-13-2021, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinguitar View Post
I don’t see why the short scale would influence strumming or not. I prefer short scale guitars because I have small hands and correspondingly short fingers. Therefore, I find short scale guitars more comfortable. In the same way, I avoid Dreadnaughts which are just too big for me.

By coincidence, I have been looking at the possibility of a 000-18 and a couple of other models might be an influence on me (000-17 and 000-28) but I have suspended the idea for the moment because there is a shortage of stock here in the UK (and probably elsewhere) and for the amount of money that would be spent, I would like to play any prospective new instrument before I buy.

I, too, like the sound of mahogany and my other preference would be a modified low oval neck shape, again because of my hand size. I find them much more comfortable than the modified V.
Thanks for the reply, sort of hoping that the general consensus is that they are fine for strumming. I'm in the UK too and feel your pain re. stock levels etc. I have been told from one of the UK Martin Custom shop experts that a build just now has a 12-16 month lead time. At least it gives me a bit more leeway for saving as I had a quote from Martin recently of over £5000 for an OM28 (I did have some upgrades on it to be fair but the pound price came back higher than the dollar price on the quote).
Old 06-13-2021, 03:15 AM

Yes, I had heard a similar timescale from somewhere which I have forgotten and probably the earliest that a build would be forthcoming would be the summer of next year which marries with your source.

Did you know that the importers to the UK are a company called Westside Distribution? It is through them that authorised Martin dealers get their instruments. It might be worthwhile emailing them if you have any specific requirements. They may give you an overview of the situation and then you will need to go through a retailer if I understand it correctly, but maybe you can get, off the peg, what you want from any retailer once the volume picks up.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:23 AM

For strumming I would go with Sitka rather than Adirondack for the top, but that’s just my personal dislike for the harshness of new Adirondack.

Rb
Old 06-13-2021, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

The short scale is fine for strumming. I play in a couple of Irish/general trad sessions where at least 50% of what I do is rhythm/backing. I bring my 000-28 to cover this and everything else and it sounds great strummed behind the leads.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 06-13-2021, 06:46 AM

It would be fine for strumming (unless you are trying to channel your inner Pete Townsend and cover "Pinball Wizard".

But for singer/songwriter stuff it will do what you want.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
For strumming I would go with Sitka rather than Adirondack for the top, but that’s just my personal dislike for the harshness of new Adirondack.

Rb
I did mull that one over but as this will be a once in a lifetime purchase for myself, I'm happy to let the Adi top break in over time. This one will be my one and only major guitar purchase.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:20 AM

Rammer:

Gruhn Guitars in Nashville has some custom shop OM28's and 0000-28's and also some style 18's with Adi tops. I don't know if they ship to the UK but it would be worth an email or phone call to find out.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
Rammer:

Gruhn Guitars in Nashville has some custom shop OM28's and 0000-28's and also some style 18's with Adi tops. I don't know if they ship to the UK but it would be worth an email or phone call to find out.
Thanks but as far as I am aware, Martin do not let their dealers ship to UK any more.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:41 AM

My 000-18GE had an adirondack top and was a fantastic strummer.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:48 AM

I have a 12-fret Martin Custom Shop 00-18, and strumming is not a problem on an even smaller guitar than a 000-18.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 06-13-2021, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

I have two 000's(24.9"), one mahogany, one RW. Both are fine strummers when I want/need. You mentioned looking at an OM-28, so why not try out a 000-28 while you're at it? Also, since you're thinking of going Custom Shop, if you can get into a shop(s), play as many examples as you can, including diff neck profiles and 12 fretters. Martin's approach to 12 fret 000's extends the body length and has nice impact on tone IMO. Given your use (@home for personal enjoyment) I'd probably save the money and go with Sitka over Adi, though you could go with an alternate Spruce (Lutz, Engle, Euro). Again, going CS lets you choose a lot of tone affecting construction items like: top wood, bracing, torrefaction, etc. You may want to search some of earlier threads -and elsewhere- about these items as well. Enjoy the quest!

Last edited by gmel555; 06-13-2021 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:01 AM

Great advice guys, thanks. 000-18 is looking like the way forward. 14 fret model I should add.

What would be your preference on a topwood? Adirondack or high altitude Swiss spruce? Is there much difference in tones? Will they both take a period of time to open up fully? Would any be better from a strumming perspective? One of my reasons for choosing Adi would be that it generally has more headroom and will open up beautifully given time apparently.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Hi Rammer,
I’ll chime in as saying I feel that 000 18s are excellent all-rounders. I currently own a 65 and a 2004. Both mine are Sitka. I’ve not had a chance to do a direct contrast to any other top wood.

I am a short-scale guy. It’s what I’m used to.

Optima dies, prima fugit

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion