The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-10-2021, 04:21 PM

Default Removing a decal

I have an Alvarez Rd 10 acoustic guitar. I believe the guitar is about 20 years old and the decal it's fading. I'd like to remove the decal completely and replace it with something else or just keep it blank. However I don't know how to remove this without damaging the veneer on the headstock with harsh chemicals.

EDIT: I don't know if the word decal is the accurate word to describe the the symbol on the headstock.

The link is to my blog which contains a picture of the headstock.

https://europeanroyalhistory.wordpre.../guitar-decal/

Last edited by Andromeda; 06-10-2021 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

It's one of the most attractive decals out there, to my eye...

Maybe you could put on a new one. St. Louis Music Co. is the importer.

When it comes to decals, finishes, etc. there are others who know a lot more than I do. Best of luck on your project.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:55 PM

Not sure why you want to remove it? It looks like it belongs on a 20 year old guitar. Still is legible and adds to the vintage vibe of your guitar. Looks like is was screened/painted on to my eyes. I like it.

Daniels - Bedell - Guild

"Tomorrow is promised to no one"
Old 06-10-2021, 11:54 PM

Harsh chemical such as paint stripper, acetone or lacquer thinner will not hurt the veneer.

But I'd suggest that you carefully sand it off. It would be easier and quicker.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:28 AM

Default A thought

The chemicals mentioned won't hurt wood veneer but may well destroy whatever finish is on the headstock.

If OP does not want to remove the tuners and nut and not worry about refinishing the headstock, proceed. If not, leave it alone in its faded glory.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

"I don't know if the word decal is the accurate word to describe the the symbol on the headstock."

I'd suggest "headstock insignia." That describes its location and that it is akin to a maker's signature. The word label could be used, but it's already taken: that's the paper you see through the sound hole.

The method of applying the headstock insignia could be a decal, an inlay, a stencil, hand lettering...
Old 06-13-2021, 02:00 AM

I doubt very much you can get rid of it. The headstock will have absorbed different levels of sunlight over the last 20 years, the area underneath your logo will have received less. You maybe able to remove the logo but the wood will still be different shades.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:19 AM

You could use a razor blade (box cutter type) and scrape it off. You can stop when you start feeling "I don't know if this is a good idea."
Old 06-21-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
You could use a razor blade (box cutter type) and scrape it off. You can stop when you start feeling "I don't know if this is a good idea."
Alternatively a scraper for a vitro ceramic hot plate will probably give you the necessary fine control.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair