The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Default I really need some help!

Click on my soundcloud link below and listen to the three songs. Just a part of each is all it takes. I'm trying to figure out why all of my songs sound dark and muddy? They all just seem to have a haze over them. I generally use a MXL V67g and a CAD M179. I will sometimes swap out for Samson C02 for the acoustic. My interface is a MAudio MTrack. I am mixing in Reaper or Mixcraft (usually Reaper).

I think it has to do with levels and EQ but I just don't know. Any ideas? My recording area is pretty bad too but I think it has more to do with how I am recording and mixing.

Todd

Last edited by BoneDigger; 04-06-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:54 PM

The first thing I do in cleaning up low mids is to put a high pass filter on a track.
Most EQs have a high pass or low cut filter with a slope that is adjustable.

Jim McCarthy
Old 04-06-2014, 04:06 PM

Nice playing and singing, Todd. I recommend that you give the final mix a little more treble which should provide clarity and sparkle. I think that is all that is needed to produce a better sound.

Also, try to keep your vocal centered (Baby Step Back). If the recording is just one guitar and one vocal, both can be centered and sound very natural...it is actually unnatural to separate them. Sometimes a slight tilt off center is okay, but a far left vocal and centered guitar is very unusual and awkward to hear.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 04-06-2014, 05:02 PM

Seems like a real narrow frequency range. I miss some bottom end and some space. If if were me, I'd experiment with doubling the guitar tracks, panning them left and right, and puttin the vocal in the middle. I'd also close-mic the guitar to give it some depth.

Last edited by AX17609; 04-06-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
The first thing I do in cleaning up low mids is to put a high pass filter on a track.
Most EQs have a high pass or low cut filter with a slope that is adjustable.

Jim McCarthy
I think Jim's advice about the low mids is dead on. Try some EQ cut in that frequency range and I think your mixes will gain some air and clarity. Overall I think you've done a good job of recording the tracks, but with the low mids up in the mix as they are now, they're crowding out your top end.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-07-2014, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Todd couple of thought's. There can be multiple things that can contribute to to muddy, or conversely lack of clarity. Bass can quickly become muddy,also crowding and build up of mids . Both of which can be made much worse by room acoustics.
Do not underestimate the importance of room. One quick way to help the room are absorbers and the DYI type can be very effective. If you search DYI acoustic absorbers there is a ton of info.
That said:

Do you know how to make a screen shots ? If so posting screen shots of your mix and edit windows and perhaps your EQs if you using them in the session could be helpful.

As has been mentioned EQ then becomes a useful tool. The biggest mistake IMO that new mixers make is just boosting and not attenuating ( or subtracting) first. Because the actual problem is there is already too much buildup ( or addition) of frequencies. Particularly in the mids and lows.

So a good rule of thumb is start with subtractive EQ first.
And also you should have an EQ on every individual track.
There are two types of subtractive EQ uses.
#1 eliminate the biggest problem freqz.
#2 to make different areas or space in (of the frequency range) more available for different instruments.

Then judicious use of small additive EQ at different freqz. for different instruments and vocal, if necessary or desired to add even more distinction between instruments from each other and the vocal.

I cant do it right now but I will post some screen shots about what I am talking about later.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-07-2014, 09:40 AM

In Reaper throw the ReaEQ VST on it and look at your frequencies this can show you if you have a build up in a certain range.
As already mentioned, you may have a build-up of low-mid frequencies in your recording space, and if you have a lot of soft surfaces (carpet, upholstered furniture or so-called 'acoustic' foam) you could be sucking all the high end life out of the tracks and still leaving the 'mud'.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

OK here is a session

and here is what I have done with the EQs

this is the soundcloud linc to the track
https://soundcloud.com/kevwind/question-nu-gen

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate ht advice. I think I certainly need to tweak the EQ settings and look into ReaEQ as well. I will keep you posted...

Todd

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD