The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 07:20 AM

Default Need some guidance... Alvarez Masterworks, Takamine Pro, etc

Whelp, it's been a couple of years since I've owned a guitar now due to a divorce and money issues. I'm ready to jump back in. I've missed it greatly.

I'm trying to decide between a few guitars that unfortunately don't seem to be available locally, so any insight could be a big help. My options are also limited. I'll be financing this, and I have an account at one particular online store. So I'm sure there are other great options in my budget, but those doors are closed for now.

My playing style is primarily strumming, fairly heavy and percussive. Think along the lines of Dave Matthews or Frank Turner and you're on the right path. I almost never fingerpick. I like dreads with a cutaway, but the cutaway is negotiable. I definitely want all solid woods. Electronics are a plus, but not required at this time.

Basically I'm looking for the most guitar for the money under 1100 or so.

The models I'm torn between are:

Takamine P3DC
Alvarez Masterworks MDA70CE
Yamaha A3M or A3R
Ibanez AVD60
Guild D-140
Martin DRSG

I've always really liked the Japanese Takamines, and they have a really good deal on this one. It's probably the frontrunner. I like the sound of a cedar top, but I've heard it's not best for heavier playing.

So, that's my story. Any and all guidance greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:02 PM

I believe the takamine P3DC has a satin finish top as well as no pickguard. Then considering it's cedar I'm not sure it would be my first choice for hard playing, although if the price is right, and figuring you could always add a pickguard, perhaps...

Can't comment on the Alvarez Masterworks MDA70ce as I've not played it, however, I do have an Alvarez Masterworks, MDA66SHB, and am quite happy. My guitar, and it seems the entire line, have an awful lot of good in all areas for a relatively modest sum. I would anticipate the same from the MDA70ce.

I've played the latest rendition of the Yamaha A3R and must say it is such a classy feeling instrument. It plays ever so smoothly and is absolutely gorgeous, too. Just straight acoustically, it really has the rosewood thing going on, with shimmering highs and bold lows. Maybe more than some folks might favor. I will say the materials and build are really first rate, every bit as good as guitars costing much more.

Haven't played the Guild D-140 but I do have a MIC westerly Guild and like it, other than I wish it was a bit less glossy. I played a GAD-140, the predecessor, and remember it to be a pretty classy, understated looking, instrument, with quite good, although not super memorable tone.

At my local little store I've been playing a Martin DRSG a bit lately. It happens to be made in Nazareth, PA, which I don't think is usually the case(most are made in Mexico). It is full gloss but doesn't seem as thick as what the MIC guilds come with. First class build, playability, etc., all the attributes that make a Martin. Tone was Martin-like but a bit restrained, less sparkly, as compared to a D-28. Yet still, not bad just different.

Last, and to me the most intriguing of the bunch, is the Ibanez AVD60. Although I've not played or heard it, it strikes me as best for your stated needs. I think the Adirondack top, along with the solid hog back and sides, would work well with your percussive style, maybe a bit better than sitka and rosewood. Furthermore, should you want to plug-in, a passive pickup like the K&K pure mini would not detract from tone nor appearance. And concerning appearance, the AVD-60's plain Jane look appeals to me. Just thinking about your stated needs the Ibanez stands above the others.

Last edited by Elroy Bean; 04-21-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:17 PM

I know you can't go wrong with the Alvarez. I have its brother the MD60. I am more and more impressed with it the more I play it. I have owned it now for about a year and a half. I have played a few Takamines lately and they are nothing to sneeze at either, IMHO. I don't thing the ones I played were the model you were looking at but there sounded quite good but not quite up there with my MD60.

Last edited by Steadfastly; 04-21-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elroy Bean View Post
I believe the takamine P3DC has a satin finish top as well as no pickguard. Then considering it's cedar I'm not sure it would be my first choice for hard playing, although if the price is right, and figuring you could always add a pickguard, perhaps...

Can't comment on the Alvarez Masterworks MDA70ce as I've not played it, however, I do have an Alvarez Masterworks, MDA66SHB, and am quite happy. My guitar, and it seems the entire line, have an awful lot of good in all areas for a relatively modest sum. I would anticipate the same from the MDA70ce.

I've played the latest rendition of the Yamaha A3R and must say it is such a classy feeling instrument. It plays ever so smoothly and is absolutely gorgeous, too. Just straight acoustically, it really has the rosewood thing going on, with shimmering highs and bold lows. Maybe more than some folks mighty favor. I will say the materials and build are really first rate, every bit as good as guitars costing much more.

Haven't played the Guild D-140 but I do have a MIC westerly Guild and like it, other than I wish it was a bit less glossy. I played a GAD-140, the predecessor, and remember it to be a pretty classy, understated looking, instrument, with quite good, although not super memorable tone.

At my local little store I've been playing a Martin DRSG a bit lately. It happens to be made in Nazareth, PA, which I don't think is usually the case(most are made in Mexico). It is full gloss but doesn't seem as thick as what the MIC guilds come with. First class build, playability, etc., all the attributes that make a Martin. Tone was Martin-like but a bit restrained, less sparkly, as compared to a D-28. Yet still, not bad just different.

Last, and to me the most intriguing of the bunch, is the Ibanez AVD60. Although I've not played or heard it, it strikes me as best for your stated needs. I think the Adirondack top, along with the solid hog back and sides, would work well with your percussive style, maybe a bit better than sitka and rosewood. Furthermore, should you want to plug-in, a passive pickup like the K&K pure mini would not detract from tone nor appearance. And concerning appearance, the AVD-60's plain Jane look appeals to me. Just thinking about your stated needs the Ibanez stands above the others.

What a fantastic, well thought out response. Thank you.

I was honestly expecting the Ibanez to be written off first by popular opinion here, but it seems we share the same thoughts about it. I've played many of the cheaper Artwood models and always been impressed by their volume, projection, and tone for their price point. But I've never played one of the higher priced solid wood models. It definitely seems like a lot of guitar for the money.

I took a trip a town over to GC this morning and played some other guitars. They didn't have the exact models I'm looking at, but I was able to play some cheaper Alvarez guitars and an A1R Yamaha. I really didn't like the Yamaha at all. The neck was uncomfortable to me, and it was really synthetic sounding. It was pretty, but that's where the appeal ended for me.

Also, I understand that the Masterworks series are a step above, but I played 5 other Alvarez models and I can't say I cared for a single one. The lower E, A, D strings sounded dull and lifeless on every one. Didn't appear to be old strings either. The Masterworks may indeed be much better, but that was enough to discourage me from ordering one sight unseen. I've felt the same way about almost every Epiphone Masterbilt I've ever played too, incidentally.

There were three stars of the show though. A Martin DRS1, Taylor 110ce, and a used mid-nineties Japanese Takamine with cedar top and mahogany back.

The DRS1 kind of floored me with it's volume and projection. I don't know how the consistency is with the Road Series, but this was a good one.

The Taylor also had volume for days and the punch I'm looking for from the lower strings. I play a good bit of power chords, so it's important to me that they sound lively. It's laminated back and sides, but sure didn't sound like it.

The Takamine was used and had seen better days. Was in desperate need of a string change and the frets definitely needed polishing. It was dirty and dusty. But even with all that it still sounded fantastic. I can't imagine what it could sound like with some TLC.

So, I still have some homework to do and a decision to make, but this mornings trip was very productive.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

I am reviving this old thread.

First off I am blessed as I have a few nice Gibsons and Martins. I have been gigging with them, as well as another beater. As of this weekend that beater is gone, and I bought a new Takamine P3DC from a local shop. The top was marred from a ding, and the deal was right.

Anyways, I am gigging with it tonight, and am thrilled. I have been playing it for several hours yesterday and today, and simply love the playability of the neck and the tone.

I am going to look into a pickguard for it, but I really dig this guitar a surprising amount.

Do not overlook these satin-topped Taks. The P3DC is fantastic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion