The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 06:40 AM

Default *Warning* Do Not Play a New Martin D-18 ...

Unless you’re prepared to buy one.

I made the decision to trade my OOOC-16 in for something with a neck I could enjoy. I love Mod V necks and saw Taylor had two dreds in their 500 series with Mod V necks. Drove an hour to play them. Nice and comfortable to play but something was missing from the sound. Played a CEO-7 that sounded fine on strings 3 through 6, but the B and high E strings sounded way off, like they were on some cheap Walmart guitar. I’ve never heard that in a guitar before.

So I continue walking the Martin wall and feel a slight “Vness” to a D-18e Retro. I play it and it sounds good but it is surprisingly quiet. For comparison I pull off the D-18 and oh, boy, I’m done for. That baby starts singing and ringing and growling in all the right places and manners. A/B against multiple guitars, even a Clapton Sig model, and nothing gives me everything this one is giving. I take it back to the Taylors and play it over there. No corner can hold this beauty back. It’s a floor model and comes with a few swirl marks. No big deal. I start thinking “This is MY guitar. This is the one.”

I run through all of the songs that tended to cramp my hand or promote string buzz and nothing comes of it. Now I know this is the one. I hang it back up. Grab my OOOC-16RGTE and bring it in. The clerk opens my case and says, “Nice,” which makes me even more confident that this deal is getting done. Not so fast. Gut punch delivered.

I was willing to pay a couple hundred more (trade plus cash at what I thought would leave both parties happy) but we were still about $250 off.

So the OOOC is now up on Craigslist. And I know there is a D-18 in my future. I played a few pre-2012 D-18s and was never that impressed. This one though, oh man I need that thing bad. Haha. Heed my warning. Don’t try one out unless you’re ready to buy because it’ll break your heart having to walk away without it in hand.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:28 AM

Two D-18s appeal to me, a 1958 as it's my birth year, and a new one.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post

I made the decision to trade my OOOC-16 in for something with a neck I could enjoy. I love Mod V necks and saw Taylor had two dreds in their 500 series with Mod V necks. Drove an hour to play them. Nice and comfortable to play but something was missing from the sound. Played a CEO-7 that sounded fine on strings 3 through 6, but the B and high E strings sounded way off, like they were on some cheap Walmart guitar. I’ve never heard that in a guitar before.

So I continue walking the Martin wall and feel a slight “Vness” to a D-18e Retro. I play it and it sounds good but it is surprisingly quiet. For comparison I pull off the D-18 and oh, boy, I’m done for. That baby starts singing and ringing and growling in all the right places and manners. A/B against multiple guitars, even a Clapton Sig model, and nothing gives me everything this one is giving. I take it back to the Taylors and play it over there. No corner can hold this beauty back. It’s a floor model and comes with a few swirl marks. No big deal. I start thinking “This is MY guitar. This is the one.”

I run through all of the songs that tended to cramp my hand or promote string buzz and nothing comes of it. Now I know this is the one. I hang it back up. Grab my OOOC-16RGTE and bring it in. The clerk opens my case and says, “Nice,” which makes me even more confident that this deal is getting done. Not so fast. Gut punch delivered.

I was willing to pay a couple hundred more (trade plus cash at what I thought would leave both parties happy) but we were still about $250 off.

So the OOOC is now up on Craigslist. And I know there is a D-18 in my future. I played a few pre-2012 D-18s and was never that impressed. This one though, oh man I need that thing bad. Haha. Heed my warning. Don’t try one out unless you’re ready to buy because it’ll break your heart having to walk away without it in hand.

Perhaps leaving a deposit on the D-18 you like would be prudent, before someone else walks out the door with it. They are a great guitar but not all are amazing.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-21-2018, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Perhaps leaving a deposit on the D-18 you like would be prudent, before someone else walks out the door with it. They are a great guitar but not all are amazing.
I agree with what he said. Leave. Deposit or something because few that I played was nothing special. When you find one “that” one, you got to go for it.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
I'll second this. If the guitar blows you away make sure nobody else touches it.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:57 AM

I think that is a fair warning. I went to my favourite guitar shop two days ago to buy other items. Since they had new shipments, I've requested to play a D-28 for just few minutes. I should have not done that. Now my 000-17E was replaced with a new D-28!!!
Old 04-21-2018, 09:43 AM

I had one, it was impressive, but I sold it. Bought a Taylor 324ce instead. I liked that more.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

As an owner of a newer D18, I can attest to the fact that they are phenomenal guitars. I would put a deposit down for sure.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:57 AM

Run, don’t walk back to that store ASAP !
Old 04-21-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placida View Post
I'll second this. If the guitar blows you away make sure nobody else touches it.
I couldn't agree with this sentiment more. For years I had a Martin OM-21 that I liked but didn't love. Once while at Schoenberg Guitars (shameless plug for one of my all-time favorite guitar stores) they had one on the wall and I decided to play it just to see how it compared to the one I already owned. I wasn't looking to buy at all...just to compare.

The guitar blew me away. Even though I already had that model, I bought it on the spot...and I've never looked back. I don't ever expect to ever sell that guitar.

We buy guitars - not models of guitars. All of my guitar purchasing mistakes were when I talked myself into a model rather than buying a particular guitar that spoke (sang?) to me. If you loved that particular D-18, make sure to get it!

So why am I here? Just to find out what I should try.
Orangewood Oliver Jr. Mahogany
Gretsch Jim Dandy and...
Old 04-21-2018, 12:17 PM

Archer's Creek:

I just stumbled upon your post. Funny, 'cuz the guitar of my dreams is a D-18. I heard Jason Isbell play his on Chris Thile's radio show, and I said to myself, "NOTHING in the world sounds sweeter than that!" HOWEVER, it's $1500 above my budget. I just bought a new Guild F-150 mini Jumbo for 6 and a half, and it has a good, well-balanced sound. It's NOT a D-18 fer shure, but it sounds good enough to hold me until I save up enough to buy that D-18. Funny how we have the same great hearing!

2017 Guild F-150 Mini Jumbo

Last edited by poorArtist; 04-21-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:09 PM

Too late by about two weeks but you know what? My Alvarez Masterworks that I picked up used (in excellent condition BTW) sounds close to the D-18 I tried and although it's not exactly the Martin D-18 sound, I like it just as much as the D-18. I was quite surprised at this because I prefer the Martin sound over almost all others I've heard.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post

Archer, Amen, Brother. I was in McCabes about two years ago and played one. It was perfectly dialed, new strings, the whole nine yards. It just floored me.

Whenever I go into a guitar store, I intentionally leave my wallet in the car. Praise my lucky stars I did this time as well, or that thing was going home with me.

What a magnificent job Martin did on that remodel. Just flawless.

scott memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 04-23-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:56 PM

I just played on myself. It’s the third or fourth time I’ve played on. Every time, I have the same reaction. “Are you kidding me?!?!” They are so awesome. I generally fingerpick. Doesn’t matter. Still amazing.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-21-2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 04-21-2018, 04:31 PM

I hope you find a way to possess that guitar, otherwise, it will possess you! Seriously, the sound of that guitar will haunt you and if you don't get that exact one, you'll be chasing that sound for years!
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion