The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorArtist View Post
I just bought a brand new Guild F-150 Jumbo acoustic steel string from Sam Ash Online, and I got a ridiculous price. On a $1400 (MSRP) guitar, I only paid $650. And now I know why. Because this guitar left the factory without the strings being adjusted. The action is like a Dobro, and I don't play slide guitar. It's really not THAT bad, but the strings are set pretty high, as if the guy at the Guild factory who files down the nuts and saddles to make the guitar playable was out that day. But I felt I should post a warning on AGF. It's really just a minor oversight, just a simple adjustment which I could fix myself, but it's something SOMEONE should have caught before the guitar got to me. Out of the box, this guitar is UNPLAYABLE! And I'm pretty sure that no one at the Sam Ash Company took this guitar out of the original shipping box as it came from the Guild factory to inspect or play it.

So, I contacted the Guild Company regarding this matter, and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I'm not a luthier, but I know a little bit about guitars, and I'm pretty sure that this a <$100 fix. At this point, I'm not going to nit-pick about the action, so it shouldn't be THAT expensive. I just want the guitar to be playable. I can worry about whether I'm a strummer or a picker later on. So my dream of running away to Nashville is going to be delayed a week or two, but I WILL say one thing: MY apartment smells soooo SWEET, with the scent of freshly-cut Mahogany filling my nose.
I always say you can't blame the manufacturer for setup problems. Guitars change action to environment. Just get it setup.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 04-19-2018, 07:01 PM

Default Guild F-150 Warning!

Honestly, those of you making excuses need to stop. There is nothing wrong with the guitar. There is something wrong with the OPs expectations, both in this thread and in his thread regarding custom built guitars for less than $1,000.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:17 PM

The Sam Ash store by me has their Guilds RIGHT across from a big humidifier and they go so much moisture, the strings felt tacky and looked discolored ( rust ? ). I suspect long term that could make the neck flex more and raise the action.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 04-19-2018, 07:28 PM

I thought an F-150 was a truck?
Old 04-19-2018, 07:44 PM

Do you have a Sam Ash brick-and-mortar store anywhere near you? My closest one has a guitar tech in-store, and he's quite knowledgeable. If it's a new guitar, your local Sam Ash should do a first setup for free.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
LAR:

So did I!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2018, 09:06 PM

Guitar George,
Little Wing,
Speed Wagon,
Mike (Lodi 55),
Steadfastly,
Osage,
Bruce Bubs,
Blues Freak,
Jabberwocky,
Merlin 666,
Rob J.,
John W.,
LAR,
And anyone else I missed:

Took my Guild F-150 Mini Jumbo to Western Hills Music (Cincinnati) to be assessed by Pete, the resident repairman. He looked down the fretboard, pulled out an Allen key, put a couple of turns on the truss rod, and now, IT PLAYS LIKE A DREAM!!!!! My fingers are a little sore, but that's to be expected after 35 years. He charged me $5.00. He said he had to charge me something. I felt guilty, so I bought a tuner, some Martin strings and 1/2 dozen Fender picks. Total damage: $40.00. Case Closed...LOL

Last edited by poorArtist; 04-21-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorArtist View Post
Guitar George,
Little Wing,
Speed Wagon,
Mike (Lodi 55),
Steadfastly,
Osage,
Bruce Bubs,
Blues Freak,
Jabberwocky,
Merlin 666,
Rob J.,
John W.,
LAR,
And anyone else I missed:

Took my Guild F-150 Mini Jumbo to the nearest music store to be assessed by Pete, the resident repairman. He looked down the fretboard, pulled out an Allen key, put a couple of turns on the truss rod, and now, IT PLAYS LIKE A DREAM!!!!! My fingers are a little sore, but that's to be expected after 35 years. He charged me $5.00. He said he had to charge me something. I felt guilty, so I bought a tuner, some Martin strings and 1/2 dozen Fender picks. Total damage: $40.00. Case Closed...LOL
There ya go! Fretboard/neck relief can also cause the action to feel a bit stiff at times. Now enjoy playing!
Old 04-20-2018, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
No, that's the F-250. The F-150 is just a toy.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:40 AM

Great to read it's better for you.
Don't be afraid to go to a slightly lower gauge string like 11-52's to help your fingers get started on steel string guitar.
The drop in tone and volume is minimal and they're a little easier on the fingers which will make it more pleasant to play for longer periods.
And the longer you play the better you become ... plus those calluses build up and you can step back up to .012's later if you want.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-20-2018, 07:51 AM

7/64ths is nothing and is within specs just do set up .

I’ve not heard anything about them changing the wood but because of cites there most likely going to fallow Blueridge and start using Santos Rosewoid which really is bit of the rosewood family . Tone it’s said to be is between a walnut and Maple but someone might know better.

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 04-20-2018, 10:09 AM

Need to correct my above comment they are discontinuing the Rosewood models
The OM 150 and F150 are discontinued.
Ralf at LTG says ,
The cutaway models OM-150CE and F-150CE are to be continued, both are in the 2018 catalog.

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 04-20-2018, 10:57 AM

if your measurements are correct, I'm surprised its "unplayable "
its sort of in the ball park of what most guitars are shipped.

I've found most guitars are initially set up on the high side knowing most players will set them up to their own liking.

Enjoy your new Guild, great to see your back playing
Old 04-20-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
Need to correct my above comment they are discontinuing the Rosewood models
The OM 150 and F150 are discontinued.
Ralf at LTG says ,
The cutaway models OM-150CE and F-150CE are to be continued, both are in the 2018 catalog.
Riakstonic:

I think you're right. I got one of the last Indian rosewood F-150s. That style (mini jumbo) will only be sold with cibo (?) from here on out, if that's the correct name. I just can't understand American business practices. They cut the price to rock-bottom on the better guitar, to make room for the one that is arguably not quite as good. Solid Indian rosewood is a highly prized tonewood. I feel I got away with a steal, just to make room in the warehouse for the newer, less desirable model. I'll bet you the price doesn't go down...LOL. I consider myself very lucky.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Great to read it's better for you.
Don't be afraid to go to a slightly lower gauge string like 11-52's to help your fingers get started on steel string guitar.
The drop in tone and volume is minimal and they're a little easier on the fingers which will make it more pleasant to play for longer periods.
And the longer you play the better you become ... plus those calluses build up and you can step back up to .012's later if you want.
Bruce:

I bought a set of lighter strings, for my finger's sake. I'm not playing for an audience any time soon, anyway. I bought a set of Martin M140s, but I haven't opened them yet. If you can recommend a particular brand, I still can exchange them. Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion