The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

I don't know that I could choose just one favorite, but if I was forced to it would probably be my D18. But, I play all of my guitars fairly regularly. Perhaps not every day, but they do get played.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Yes. My Taylor GC7 fingerstyle dream - it's way far ahead as my favorite. I just bought an equally fantastic guitar (getting delivered tomorrow in fact) which is just as nice but since I don't play electric nearly as much anymore it will be a distant distant second and I know that before it even arrives.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-10-2018, 08:21 PM

It is all up to you and your comfort level. I have only one guitar. Took me more than 2 years to find something that I will be happy with the sound and playability.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:31 PM

Two favorites: one for when others are listening, the other for when I'm playing alone.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
There is probably no "right" answer but, doing what is right for you (OP) is what is most important.

For a number of years I had multiple guitars, sometimes as many as seven. I would buy, sell, swap, reduce, and then add again. Eventually, I had enough and sold all but, one.

I enjoy having one guitar. My guitar playing life is simpler. However, that might not be for you. Take your time...the answer that is best for you will eventually surface.

Good luck!
Thanks for this insight. Actually I think I probably should have picked a better title to my thread. While most folks took it as a "what is your favorite guitar?" thread it was meant to be a "why do I have many guitars when I only really play one?" thread. You nailed it. Someday I will probably just wake up and divest myself of the ones I don't play. I agree....it seems like a waste. I am into collector cars as well. And I drive the hell out of the one I am down to.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:13 AM

My 1938 Gibson L5,my Campellone Deluxe archtops.....
Old 04-11-2018, 09:38 AM

For me it's hard to have a favourite since I usually only have 3-4 guitars to begin with and they all serve different functions. For instance I usually have one solid body electric guitar a nylon string guitar and one or two steel string guitars. Almost always one steel string acoustic guitar is designated the beater or one used for busking outdoors. It's generally all laminate and made by Yamaha. If I have another acoustic it's usually nicer with at least a solid spruce top of some kind. I would bring this guitar to say informal jams or open mics. Venues where I'd not have to be concerned with the guitar being stolen or damaged by the environment.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:28 AM

I have four guitars. Three Taylors and a just purchased Alvarez I bought to travel with. I keep all four in different tunings so they all get regular play. My favorite of the four though is my Taylor 514CE LTD with cedar top over Granadillo back and sides. This combination is simply magical. The Alvarez I just bought is a MFA66SHB all solid Magogany OM. It is the finest sounding, looking and put together sub 1000.00 dollar guitar I've ever played. I paid 509.00 for it and honestly it would be worth every penny of it's MSRP of 899.00. It's made in China but I'm pretty sure it's still made by humans.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:34 AM

Now that I have the 3 guitar hanger built I rotate what's up there, but the J30 (on the left) is up all the time. It's just fantastic. Everything I was looking for in a Gibson.IMG_20180221_221041.jpg
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 04-11-2018, 11:36 AM

If you leave a bunch of your guitars out on stands, each time you go to play you will make a decision as to which one you want to play at that time. I am quite sure you will not choose the same one every time.

You probably have that one Martin D. Jr out on a stand and all the rest in cases hidden around the house. (I'm psychic)
Old 04-11-2018, 11:39 AM

Yep, without a doubt my Bourgeois L-DBO.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

I had GAS for years, and knew I had many good guitars sitting in cases while I only consistently played a few. I eventually sold most of them after watching the Neil Young "Prairie Wind" film in the theater and the lines of a song about an old guitar hit home:

"The more I play it, the better it sounds
It cries when I leave it alone
Silently it waits for me
Or someone else I suppose"

I started selling my herd and never looked back.

Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 04-20-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
If you leave a bunch of your guitars out on stands, each time you go to play you will make a decision as to which one you want to play at that time. I am quite sure you will not choose the same one every time.

You probably have that one Martin D. Jr out on a stand and all the rest in cases hidden around the house. (I'm psychic)
BINGO Jorge!! And its just that simple ladies and gentleman. Excuse me while I go buy some guitar stands. LOL
Old 04-20-2018, 02:05 PM

THIS

TAYLOR 324CE
Old 04-20-2018, 03:14 PM

I have more than I need , bought them all used for decent prices and nobody went hungry because of my indulgences ...

BUT, you are correct, I HAVE got too many now to concentrate on really trying to just PLAY .

I intend to sell a few this year and stop impulsively bidding on stuff on eBay,,,, trouble is, I find it much easier to be a buyer than a seller, takes a lot more effort to sell something.

The good part is that if I do as well as some recent sales I’ve been watching, I may not lose any money at all, after getting to test drive a whole range of great guitars for a couple of years.

I’m a bit fickle and I like to play the field, but my current crush is my Emerald X20. That one ain’t going anywhere for a while.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion