The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-26-2018, 05:01 PM

Default New Fishing Tackle Day

On of my retirement plans is to get back into fishing on a regular basis. So, with warm weather coming, I decided to invest in some new gear. For most local opportunities, wanted to get an ultra-light spinning outfit. Found the Daiwa Presso line and ordered a 4 piece 6'6" in IM7 Graphite. Paired it up with a Daiwa Crossfire 500 size reel. Whole rig comes in under 12 ounces.

With light rigs like this,even smaller bass are a lot of fun and when you lock into something bigger, you feel like your really did something when you land it.

Handy too when I go back to the Appalachians as the outfit is well sized for trout.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

I think the reel is way way to big for the rod

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-26-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I think the reel is way way to big for the rod
Despite the magic of internet images, its actually under 6 oz.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:34 PM

How about adding a fly reel to the mix?
Old 03-26-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCave View Post
How about adding a fly reel to the mix?
Have quite a few fly reels and fly rods. This rig is for more casual local trips.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:36 PM

Nice setup. I just put the final touches on a musky rod for a buddy of mine I built. It did not weigh 12 oz. But he will be throwing 8oz+ lures. I’ve done it. I hurt the next day.

I am currently lining up to build my daughter (almost 3 years old) her first rod. She has been using mine and wants a pink one now.

I agree completely with you about hooking into a good bass on a lighter rod. It is certainly a rush. I caught a 3lber last year on my ultralight crappie rod. I was surprised to get her in with losing her.

Tight lines.

- Matt
Old 03-26-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocent75 View Post
Nice setup. I just put the final touches on a musky rod for a buddy of mine I built. It did not weigh 12 oz. But he will be throwing 8oz+ lures. I’ve done it. I hurt the next day.

I am currently lining up to build my daughter (almost 3 years old) her first rod. She has been using mine and wants a pink one now.

I agree completely with you about hooking into a good bass on a lighter rod. It is certainly a rush. I caught a 3lber last year on my ultralight crappie rod. I was surprised to get her in with losing her.

Tight lines.
That's pretty cool. I used to build a lot of fly and heavy spinning rods. I just couldn't build up the initiative to do it right now. Not sure where I would find a blank like this.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:44 PM

Yeah it’s a special blank 6’6” 4 piece rod. It is nice for throwing in the car or backpack and having it ready when you are.

I’m hoping to pick up a Tenkara fly rod to take on a backpacking trip in May. If nothing else as a way to unwind from 15-20 miles a day.

If the Tenkara does work out I may look into this line of rods.

- Matt
Old 03-26-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah it’s a special blank 6’6” 4 piece rod. It is nice for throwing in the car or backpack and having it ready when you are.

I’m hoping to pick up a Tenkara fly rod to take on a backpacking trip in May. If nothing else as a way to unwind from 15-20 miles a day.

If the Tenkara does work out I may look into this line of rods.
Had to look up Tenkara. Very interesting design. They definitely put the "minimum" in "minimalist"
Old 03-29-2018, 01:06 PM

The rod and reel arrived today and I'm very pleased. The rod is almost like no weight in your hand at all. I especially like the cork grip and reel seat. The reel seat is graphite with a cork insert. Daiwa sort of overdid it on the protective wraps, had to carefully remove them with an X-acto knife to prevent nicking the cork. Even the case is nice, has some sort of insert under the cordura that acts as a spring to hold it open. The 4 rod sections are secured by velcro straps inside the case to keep them from rattling around.

The reel is tiny but smooth as glass. Got a spool of 4 lb. Trilene to load it with. A 330 yd spool will fill it 3 times so its pretty economical.

If you are looking for a really nice spinning rod at a very decent price, hard to find a better value than these Daiwa Presso models. Actually got this from Wal Mart online, shipped to my local store in 2 days and I even got extra discount for store pickup. Bought a few lures in the 1/32oz to 1/8oz range to try it out as soon as it stops raining.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:16 PM

Sounds really nice. Our opening day for trout is Saturday. So getting my gear out respooling and clean/lube. It’d be easier to buy one of these. Lol

The Mrs thinks because I only have two hands I have no need for 16 rods and growing. She probably wouldn’t notice one more.

- Matt
Old 03-29-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Sounds really nice. Our opening day for trout is Saturday. So getting my gear out respooling and clean/lube. It’d be easier to buy one of these. Lol

The Mrs thinks because I only have two hands I have no need for 16 rods and growing. She probably wouldn’t notice one more.
Well, the good news is these break down to about 30 inches and come packed in a nondescript black cordura case, so nothing screams "New Rod!". Looks more like blueprints or a map case.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:51 PM

I’ve always been a fan of ultra-light spinning gear. I also picked up a tenkara rod from a place called Badger Tenkara. Haven’t had a chance to play with it yet, but expect to do a bit of fishing this month.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Like it wasn't bad enough now I really, really have spring fever.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-30-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
I’ve always been a fan of ultra-light spinning gear. I also picked up a tenkara rod from a place called Badger Tenkara. Haven’t had a chance to play with it yet, but expect to do a bit of fishing this month.
I have an order in with badger for a classic rod. Should be here in April. This thread pushed me to place the order.

If you think I have an issue with gathering guitars, it has nothing on me and fishing gear. I have 10 Plano trays full and still get my mystery tackle box every month. I think the badger Tenkara will make 17 rods

- Matt

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic