The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-23-2018, 06:02 PM

Default Anyone want a NEW CA OX for $799?

I was at Groth Music in the Twin Cities today, and noticed that they had a Composite Acoustics OX on the floor. And even though it was was new, it was marked down to $799. I don't recall if it had electronics or not, but if you're interested, give them a call. Black, either RAW or gloss. Heck, if it had been a Cargo I would have bought it, but already having a GX and an X7, I didn't feel the need.

http://www.grothmusic.com/
Old 03-23-2018, 06:23 PM
Guest 928

Wow! This is an incredible buy. Any idea what year? Is it a CA or a Peavey?
Old 03-23-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Wow! This is an incredible buy. Any idea what year? Is it a CA or a Peavey?
Sorry but I was in a hurry and didn't have time to explore. Give them a call, I'm sure they'd be willing to answer any questions.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:33 AM

Cool... I still really like mine
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-24-2018, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Groth Music I an interesting place. They have been around forever. Years ago (late 1970s/early 80s when I first moved here), they were located in the heart of downtown Minneapolis, and the store was so crammed with stuff that you had to sort of slide sideways along an aisle to get around in it. I always enjoyed browsing there.

Then, at some point, they moved to their current location just south of 494 on Nicollet. I get there only when we are going someplace south of there (typically to take my wife to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester) and my wife agrees to stop on the way home.

Last time we went there, I bought my 1917 Martin 0-18, which was on consignment and priced to move quickly. Several years ago I got an Acoustic Image Coda Series III amp brand new on closeout at an incredible price that works really with my archtops. They seem to have the right combination of supporting school band instruments, mid-range acoustic guitars, a nice selection of electric guitars and amps and pedals, probably the best selection of music books of all kinds in town, some studio gear and keyboard stuff. They sell harps (Lyon and Healy, Dusty Strings, etc.), violins, and other stuff along those lines. They always have something out of the ordinary to keep things interesting.

With the demise of The Podium, we pretty much have Guitar Center (3 or 4 of these around town), Willie's American Guitars in St. Paul, Twin Town Guitars, Schmitt Music (several of these around town), Groth Music, a couple of Music-Go-Round stores, Vig Guitars and probably a couple of other very small such guitar stores, and a couple of "mom and pop" music stores, with the best probably being Cadenza Music in St. Paul. I would not want to lose any of these. The Twin Cities has always had a very active music community, but we are definitely feeling that same shrinking of the music store scene that I see discussed around here from time to time.

I am not surprised that Groth would have the occasional CF guitar. They do get interesting stuff in from time to time. It seems to me that they used to have some Rainsong guitars some years ago too. There are two guys usually in their guitar department, and both are knowledgeable in their respective areas, though I don't know how familiar they are with CA Guitars specifically.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-24-2018, 08:38 AM

The Podium... you know Marty the guitar repair guy for years?
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-24-2018, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
The Podium... you know Marty the guitar repair guy for years?
Yes. He introduced me to the CA Guitars Cargo back around 2007 when The Podium was selling that product line. Most recently, he did the neck reset on my 1917 Martin 0-18. That was a month or so ago. He works out of his house full time, now that The Podium is gone. He figured out a long time ago, how to do a neck reset without ANY of that fretboard hump where the neck joins the body.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-24-2018, 06:36 PM
Guest 928

Is there anyone doing CF repairs and setups? Michael and Marty were great resources as far as tweaking CF instruments--anyone else out there?
Old 03-24-2018, 07:19 PM

I bought one of Marty's custom string winder thingys when I went to a guitar event in Iowa he was attending... I gave it to a certain Irish guitar builder at NAMM a few years ago... and some how I ended up with an X-20 on the plane with me wenst I flew home. Stuff happens it appears.

Last edited by kramster; 03-24-2018 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-24-2018, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I bought one of Marty's custom string winder thingys when I went to a guitar event in Iowa he was attending... I gave it to a certain Irish guitar builder at NAMM a few years ago... and some how I ended up with an X-20 on the plane with me wenst I flew home. Stuff happens it appears.
I have one of those around here somewhere. I use Marty's guitar case humidifiers in all my wood guitar cases.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-14-2018, 09:07 AM

I was back at Groth's yesterday, and this OX is still there, waiting....at $799, new. I can confirm it is the Raw finish, but I'm not sure about the electronics. It does have an input jack endpin, but there's no "barn door" or controls visible anywhere. Could it have a passive PU? Or an active PU with no controls? Anyway, if I didn't already have a GX I would have taken it home.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
I was back at Groth's yesterday, and this OX is still there, waiting....at $799, new. I can confirm it is the Raw finish, but I'm not sure about the electronics. It does have an input jack endpin, but there's no "barn door" or controls visible anywhere. Could it have a passive PU? Or an active PU with no controls? Anyway, if I didn't already have a GX I would have taken it home.
Thanks for the tip! I bought it. Tough decision for me because I don't have the cash and had planned to trade for the guitar of my dreams (LOL). The earlier models had a 1 11/16" nut but the later models had 1 3/4" so I asked Felix at the store to measure the nut for me. Luckily, it is 1 3/4"
I'm an old fart and my taste does not support sandpaper gray. I hope large Rose decals will stick.

Guys, I need LOTS of reinforcement that this is a GREAT deal!

P.S. What the heck is a passive pickup?
Old 04-14-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braindead View Post
Thanks for the tip! I bought it. Tough decision for me because I don't have the cash and had planned to trade for the guitar of my dreams (LOL). The earlier models had a 1 11/16" nut but the later models had 1 3/4" so I asked Felix at the store to measure the nut for me. Luckily, it is 1 3/4"
I'm an old fart and my taste does not support sandpaper gray. I hope large Rose decals will stick.

Guys, I need LOTS of reinforcement that this is a GREAT deal!

P.S. What the heck is a passive pickup?
Contrats - I'm sure you will love it, and you did get a great deal. $799 would have been a good price used. A passive pickup is one that does not have an onboard battery powered preamp, so that you usually need to run into a separate stand alone preamp pedal before plugging into an amp or the board. Take a look inside with a mirror and let us know what you see. Are there indeed wires running from that jack to underneath the bridge? And is there a battery bag visible anywhere?
Old 04-14-2018, 01:34 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I’m surprised this guitar didn’t sell when Steve first posted about it. Could be that other brands/models have somewhat eclipsed CA’s earlier popularity. If it would’ve been listed in the AGF classifieds, it likely would’ve sold quick at that price. I’m a CA fan, once owned an ‘08 GXi, and still own an ‘08 Cargo RT that I love for what it is as a smaller guitar. Brain, I think you got a great deal.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:24 PM

I’ve not been as big of a fan of CAs as some of the other brands, but they’re fine guitars.

And if this is the same model you bought... what a steal!

https://reverb.com/p/composite-acous...&hfid=11082109

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber