The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-02-2018, 10:58 AM

Default NED (New Emerald Day)

X20 Artisan in amber ... not so’s y’d know from my pics. Very poor light here today, even out in the snow.

Very pleased with it, sounds great already but strings are extra light and action’s a wee bit low for my ham fists, will order a new saddle.

Bought used , but immaculate , from non posting (so far) AGF member “ebeneezerc” ,
with both of us being Scotsmen we were able to brave the weather and do the deal !
Thanks Charles, a pleasure to meet you.

Family shot:

Old 03-02-2018, 11:12 AM

Congrats, LJ. I too am enjoying a new-to-me Emerald day, having recently received a green X20 Artisan bought from a fellow AGF-er. Played it for an hour again last night, and my other CF guitars are lonely and ignored.

One of these days, I will get around to starting a NUGD thread myself, with a family pic with its big brother, the green X20-12. For now I am too busy playing (when not busy working).
Old 03-02-2018, 11:14 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Hey, that’s great Jon! You’ve really jumped on to the Emerald train. My X20 is due in May.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Congrats Jon ! Love the family pic. I wonder how many of us have more than 1 Emerald? Can't seem to stop at one.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations, LJ... I think it's beautiful! Sure would like to see it with better light. Those guitars are so sweet.

I like that guitar stand too.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:17 PM

Congratulations!

Enjoy your new to you guitar!
Old 03-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Hey, Jon - congrats! I wondered how long you'd be able to hold out. Great guitar, huh? You should be covered now, with a big one and a little one. In the words of the philosopher K.C.: "That's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it..."

After you get to spend more time with the X20, you can start playing the: "I like this one better, because..." game.

The X20 and the X7 should be sold as a set.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post

LOL....I agree with that !!
Old 03-03-2018, 07:43 AM

Congratulations LJ!
Old 03-03-2018, 07:44 AM

Nice... you done real good... I think I have a few Emeralds... need one of those X-7s.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-03-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Hey, Jon - congrats! I wondered how long you'd be able to hold out. Great guitar, huh? You should be covered now, with a big one and a little one. In the words of the philosopher K.C.: "That's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it..."

After you get to spend more time with the X20, you can start playing the: "I like this one better, because..." game.

One thing I’d change on the 20 would be the neck profile, I don’t know if the current ones are such a handful (this is a 2015, I think).
I would describe it as a pretty pronounced D shape , although no deeper overall than a Taylor (C shape ?) it feels very fat at the “cheeks” and not so comfy for me to wrap around.

I think the X7 is a bit slimmer in that area, feels more comfortable, but the short scale may be fooling me.

My fave is a Martin Mod-V and they are nothing like that, but ,,, what the hey ? I’m already adapting !
Old 03-03-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
.....I think the X7 is a bit slimmer in that area, feels more comfortable, but the short scale may be fooling me.....
You could test that theory by using a capo on the first fret, which will make the scale length just a bit over 24", pretty close to your X7. Technically that will also put you into a slightly thicker / wider part of the neck profile than in the first position.

PS: Notice no typos this time? I took time to proffread my work before posting.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
You could test that theory by using a capo on the first fret, which will make the scale length just a bit over 24", pretty close to your X7. Technically that will also put you into a slightly thicker / wider part of the neck profile than in the first position.

PS: Notice no typos this time? I took time to proffread my work before posting.
The 20 definitely has a chubbier profile , I’m pretty adaptable, another couple of days I probably won’t like anything else.

Well done on the typos I cheat and always use a smell-checker myself.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
The 20 definitely has a chubbier profile , I’m pretty adaptable, another couple of days I probably won’t like anything else.
UPDATE: I think they may both have the same profile after all* ; what changes is the ANGLE of my hand and wrist,
with the X20 being a much longer reach to my favourite end of the fretboard, more of the base of my fingers contacts the neck.

(*if anyone cares anymore....)
Old 03-09-2018, 06:36 PM
Guest 928

Yo Earl;

Spelling, smelling; who cares? the Brits have been mangling the English language for forever. Now that we're free of them, I think we should feel free to mangle at will. Misspelling is, after all is said and done, an art form. Viva el arte!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber