The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-20-2011, 08:58 PM

Default Adding Pickup to my Classical

Hello folks,

I have a 1973 Ramirez Andre Segovia guitar. Those particular models apparently were somewhat of a scandal when they were imported.

The guitar has a pretty good sound. My wife was the instigator of me buying the thing. It was locked up in the shop and she ran down a sales dude to get the keys. She liked the sound and started trying to negotiate the price down. I ended up walking out with it that night.

I was thinking of putting a pickup system in the thing but I was wondering first if modifying the guitar would affect the value either monetary or collectible aspect, if there were any.

I don't mind paying for a good system.

Any thoughts?

Steve Vasquez
Old 11-20-2011, 10:39 PM

(This thread might get moved to the "Electrified!" section, where pickups are frequently discussed.)

I have a K&K classic pickup in my nylon guitar and am very happy with the results. It uses the same preamp that my pure western mini pickups use, which is convenient.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:00 AM

A Schertler Dyn G sticks temporarily onto the top of the guitar and works very well. They are expensive but one can be used on several different guitars as they are not fixed permanently.
Best regards,
Malcolm
Old 11-22-2011, 02:27 PM

Hi Steve,

I've written at length on the topic. Personally I think external mics are the best option for classical guitars, with removable external pickups such as the DynG and the Ehrlund being a close second. Internal installations, especially active one, are not for me when dealing with concert-level instruments—even though they work alright in a dedicated plug-in guitar.

Here are some of my thoughts:

http://www.classicalguitar.org/2011/...plification-1/
http://www.classicalguitar.org/2011/...amplification/
http://www.classicalguitar.org/2011/...ps-amplifiers/
Old 11-26-2011, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

It looks like I will not add anything that requires drilling or other types of mods.

It will be the external mics or stick on types.

If I am still employed after Christmas I might go get one.

I really want one so that I can record at home. I have a few Taylors with their Expression systems. Pretty convenient.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical