The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-11-2018, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs down JC Penney customer service

Quick version:

Bought chairs. One screw-on foot was broke. They couldn't send me a new foot and had to exchange an entire chair (!?), then couldn't figure out how to do that (?) then couldn't figure out how to not charge me.

Got it resolved but look at this pic.

SMH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2018-04-10-21-54-53.jpg (18.2 KB, 177 views)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-11-2018, 03:28 PM

i thought they sears and kmart were out of business. i haven't been in those for many years.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-11-2018, 09:10 PM

Our local JC Penny did indeed go out of business. Not soon enough though, for most people who tried to do business with them. Though it was once a great company, they gradually became a great example of how not to do business, with your own people, and with your customers. There were no winners when they shut down here, especially not those who needed those jobs.

cotten
Old 04-12-2018, 07:44 AM

I have worked in customer service for years now, still do. It makes you or breaks you for sure.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 04-12-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i thought they sears and kmart were out of business. i haven't been in those for many years.

play music!
Not quite yet, but they've been closing locations and getting worse year by year.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-12-2018, 08:26 AM

Around here people who used to have simple jobs spraying paint or putting fasteners on automobile, ag and industrial products are now standing in Menards or Home Depot or Penney's or Sears as your paint and fastener advisors and they're not all so good at that.

My small city had a niche in customer service before the sagacious move to biotech, ag genetics finance and health care. What's left in those call and service centers can't afford home ownership here like the people who used to do those jobs. The new wave of more advanced jobs have staff with greater compensation so they can still afford to live where they work.

It's tough stuff. Where I work we've been known for good service jobs - 4 generations of it. Now the competition includes Wal-Mart, Amazon, Starbucks, and many more. That's been a whole lot of pressure on wages and benefits. One very interesting aspect is how some good people have left the company or planning to do so. It's not just jumping ship but retraining and finishing school. All the retired staff in two areas were great people who never did college. Right now it looks like more than 1/2 the people in those positions are all after business and IT degrees or certifications with a few after health care certifications or degrees. The good ones will move on.

Most employers can't get the top tier staff and offer the compensation such as your walking into the Apple Store.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:13 PM

I worked at JCPenney off and on through a good portion of my school days until around 2000, when I was finally able to leave that behind. Other than my coworkers, I don't miss it at all.

Trouble with stores like that is that they can't pay enough to really compete in the marketplace, so they have to take what they can get. That was starting to happen when I was there, and I can't imagine what it's like now. So, you get some people in there who really don't care too much about what they're doing and aren't going to put themselves out too far. Back when I worked there, the furniture salesman was a classy older guy who knew the products he sold. Now, you're more likely to find someone who got rotated in to stand in the department and make sure nothing gets shoplifted and take money in the event that someone buys something. The best store workers are always looking for something better, so they don't stick around like they used to.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

LOL... Well Costco online is even worse....
I purchased a pool table for $3000.00 that included white glove delivery and set up. When we checked it out after the installers left, it clearly wasn't leveled. I called Costco and explained the situation to them and the girl says to me that they don't pay people to relevel the table, that is my responsibility. I can either pay to have them level it or return the table... LOL So after going back and forth letting her know how ridiculous that is... I finally came to my senses and realized I was talking to a rock..... I asked if this call was being recorded and she replied most are... I said I hope her bosses get to listen to this conversation... They'll love the fact your going to pay that team of drivers to come back, disassemble my pool table and haul it away instead of just leveling the stupid thing...
I think this is why the world is in a lot of trouble..... can't get common sense out of anybody... and Yes they took the table back... LOL
Old 04-17-2018, 03:47 PM

Rigid and inflexible policies that will not allow individual judgement makes customer service suffer.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:17 PM

That's a name I haven't heard of in a while. I worked in their automotive center in the way back as a kid. I still have some of their branded tools.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

My wife and I stopped at Penney's yesterday as she was looking for some jeans. We haven't been there in years. What a mess. The place was totally unorganized. But they had allot of clothes. The marketing seemed like they are trying to please everybody but aren't pleasing anybody. They had about five sizes of jeans for her. Of coarse they didn't have the size in her size in the style she wanted. I hate to say this but it's easier at Walmart.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-18-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbintegrity View Post
... and Yes they took the table back... LOL
And in the process earned your undying loyalty, right? The leaders of some companies have figured out the difference in cost between attracting new customers (very high), and keeping the ones you have happy, (much lower). The leaders of other companies have yet to discover this. The former will thrive; the latter will evaporate.

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic