The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-05-2012, 11:39 PM

Default Advice please on classical purchase

Hello everyone. I'm looking at either the La Patrie Etude, or the Cordoba C5 to buy and would like to hear your all opinions on them. I don't have access to play them locally so it would need to be a mail order purchase. I'm not concerned about traditional build or not as I know these two are quite different in those regards. Can anyone say yah or nah on either of the two in terms of quality? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 AM

I've not played a C5, but I recently purchased a Cordoba 75r (older model) and it is a wonderful sounding and playing guitar. I'm very happy with my Cordoba.

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 01-06-2012, 06:48 PM

I got a Cordoba C5 a few months ago, and took it to my local luthiers for a set up just to bring the action down a bit. They were all astonished, they said, when I picked it up. The essential comment was "It sounds better than a lot of thousand dollar classicals we see in here day after day!" I agree. I might eventually look for something higher end someday when I get better than I currently am, but this is a great guitar, and a spectacular guitar for the money. (I haven't played your other choice, though...) Good luck!
Cordoba C5
Yamaha CG172FS
Washburn Rover
Old 01-06-2012, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the replies, all. Well, as it turned out I went with neither of the mentioned. Instead, I just pulled the trigger and ordered this Breedlove Passport N200:

I know it is quite different from the others, but I really wanted more of a crossover anyways. This model has been discontinued by Breedlove and I have been curious about it for a long time. When I found one NOS online for a killer price I didn't hesitate. My plans for this guitar aquisition is to play the extensive library of flatpicked celtic, medival, and renaissance music that I have. So, this guitar will be a nylon stringed, flatpicker
Old 01-07-2012, 10:11 AM

Congrats Bryan! Great pics too. I'm glad to hear that you found a guitar that suits your need.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Musical minimalist

looks like I'm too late.....this doesn't have a 1 7/8 nut or radiused fingerboard, but WHAT a deal!!

http://www.guitarsalon.com/p15-anton...300e-cdin.html

If I didn't already have my AA100, I'd be calling these folks!

Old 01-14-2012, 09:03 PM

Woo hoo!! The guitar arrived today! It's very hard to leave it in the box for a day... Can't wait till tomorrow so that I can take it out. I'll be sure to post a small review of it.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:07 PM

Default Breedlove N200 review

Finally got to open up the Breedlove N200, and I am pleased with the guitar. First and foremost it should be noted that the specs on the Breedlove site, as well as the sales sites about the 1 3/4" nut width is incorrect. The one I have has the more common crossover nut width of 1 7/8". The guitar is not very loud, but seems to be well balanced. It is surely loud enough for folk singer stuff, which is one of the things I will be doing with this, as well as solo celtic and renaissance flatpicking. I was also going to be using this to back up my daughter and her boehm flute to play some duet celtic pieces, but I don't know yet if it will keep up - we'll see about that. The treble strings sound a bit tubby, but the bass strings show a bit of tarnish so they could be a bit old. The fingerboard is indeed radiused, but exactly how much I couldn't say. The construction appears to very well done for a budget friendly guitar, and the satin finish feels real nice. I am going to look for some brighter sounding treble strings as well as perhaps some bronze wound basses. All in all it is a nice crossover for a good price. I did notice that Breedlove discontinued these, which is a shame for those looking for a low priced crossover...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical