The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2019, 02:22 PM

Default Where do you buy strings?

I am looking for a new place to order strings from, and am open to suggestions. I have been faithful to Strings and Beyond for years, but that stops today. For transparency, I got really annoyed by them not allowing me to combine two "offers" one of which was my USD20 loyalty reward (since when was that an offer?) with free shipping. Think of that what you like, I am pissed and ready to move on. I have spent USD335 at SnB this year alone FWIW.

It seems that SBM is well liked around these parts, I might give that a try. Any recommendations other that SBM? Comments and user experiences are welcome. Pricing seems to be very similar, shipping costs may be the deciding factor. I live in Europe, so European online retailers are of course an option.

Thanks.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 11-13-2019, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

I'm happy with Strings and Beyond... great service. Why would you get angry at them for their not allowing you to combine multiple discounts? Isn't that a pretty standard practice in retail? Hope you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:36 PM

Yes, I think that is pretty much standard in terms of combining two codes.

What I am pissed about is that me spending $500 the loyalty «reward» I recieve is a coupon code and not a gift card or real, actual discount.

I have been happy with SnB, and as I have said I have been using them for years. But after this so called loyalty reward I’m done.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Old 11-13-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I buy my strings from a variety of sources depending on the brand, including my local mom and pop music store. I use Strings and Beyond, have used Just Strings, and with some brands buy direct from the manufacturer and use their discounts. In all the sources that I have used, I have not experienced any of them offering multiple discounts. Good luck in finding a source that meets your needs.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-13-2019, 02:40 PM

While I buy often from Strings an Beyond, I have found some great deals on eBay, and with Black Friday on the Horizon, I would use that as an opportunity to stock up.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-string View Post
It seems that SBM is well liked around these parts, I might give that a try.
Well that's good to hear! We like you all as well.

We ship to over 230 countries and always do our best to provide the best pricing we can while ensuring efficient delivery times for international orders. We also strive to provide the best service we can with every order.

If you have any questions, feel free to give us a call or send us an email. And you can check out our shipping information here: https://www.stringsbymail.com/shipping.html

Also, just to add, for all domestic orders ordered before 3pm EST, we ship those out same day, every day!

Cheers!

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-13-2019 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Corrected quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-string View Post
It seems that SBM is well liked around these parts, I might give that a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strings By Mail View Post
Well that's good to hear! We like you all as well.

We ship to over 230 countries and always do our best to provide the best pricing we can while ensuring efficient delivery times for international orders. We also strive to provide the best service we can with every order.

If you have any questions, feel free to give us a call or send us an email. And you can check out our shipping information here: https://www.stringsbymail.com/shipping.html

Also, just to add, for all domestic orders ordered before 3pm EST, we ship those out same day, every day!

Cheers!
I can't believe that I forgot the plug one of our sponsors! Thanks for chiming in. We are spoiled here with lots of good choices.
Best,
Jayne

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-13-2019 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Corrected both quotes
Old 11-13-2019, 02:55 PM

Based on this thread I just completed an order to Strings and Beyond.

Free Shipping and 5% off with discount code.

Thanks!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-13-2019, 02:59 PM

I have used both Strings By Mail and Strings and Beyond. Their offerings are a little different, and when I get done with my Giant String Experiment, that might influence which one I do more business with.

I like them both.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Hi 4-string.

Obviously prices are cheaper in the US, because they don't have VAT (20% in the UK) but as you are ordering from the US for shipment to the EU - surely yoiu have to pay excise duty, carriage and VAT on the lot?

Are you sure that buying from Thomanns (I don't like them much, but OK for consumables) or strings direct here in the UK don't work out cheaper over all?

I use mostly D'addario and buy them on eBay almost always from "reddansette" which is actually Craig's Music in Bodmin UK. Service is good and prices are usually the best on offer.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Based on this thread I just completed an order to Strings and Beyond.

Free Shipping and 5% off with discount code.

Thanks!

Congratulations, that was exactly the combination I was after. Discount + free shipping.

SBM will be up next, a sponsor is a sponsor. [emoji4]

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Old 11-13-2019, 03:23 PM

I buy wherever I can get them on sale and there is free shipping.

I just ordered a bunch of D'addario on a buy 1 get one free deal from Strings and Beyond with free shipping.

I also get them occasionally directly from D'addario by redeeming points on their Player's Circle program.

A few months ago on Amazon Prime day I got a great deal and I bought a few sets.

I think I've probably got enough strings now to last me a few years, but it's hard to pass up a sale. Maybe I'll just have to buy a few more guitars to use up my string stash.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 11-13-2019, 03:23 PM

I'm in Australia so shipping costs can get expensive from USA sellers so I tend to keep a list of strings to purchase and take advantage of any 'Free International Shipping' offers from both Strings and Beyond and Strings By Mail.

Both are very, very good.

I received a delivery from Strings and Beyond just yesterday - they threw in a set of D'Addario EXP38's to replace a 12-string set of Martin strings with nasty corrosion I opened a few months ago. Much appreciated.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-13-2019, 04:19 PM

Default If You’re A Member...

Amazon Prime with free shipping.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:53 PM

For two years I was a member of the String Club at Guitar Center. If you folks don't know how it works, you pay upfront $20 for year which entitles you to $5 off once a month and it can start with your payment. So technically you can get $60 worth of strings for $20 a year. And you can use it on strings on sale, such as the expected Black Friday savings.

Great, right? But there's a catch ... you are restricted AFAIK to the strings in stock at a GC store. So if the store doesn't have the strings you really, really want (LOL) you have to settle for another brand or gauge. In my case, I used the card for two years and every month I got $5 for some strings. Mainly I used them on my electrics. However I like pure nickel strings and my local store only had a couple brands or gauges. Now if I lived near a larger GC store I think I would have done better. One time I actually got the manager to order me a set of strings and he did but then he said he couldn't do that any more because the promotion was essentially one to get customers into the stores and NOT to order online. Also sometimes I found that the in-store price was slightly higher than the price on strings at Guitarcenter.com or through other retailers. Still, for two years I got $120 worth of strings for about $40. I will probably wait until Black Friday and get my third card.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion