The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2019, 08:01 AM

Default Classical String on a Traditional Bridge?

I've long wondered if there's a string maker that makes "alternative" strings for a traditional saddle? I'm curious to try some nylon/gut/classical style strings on my guitars. Just think that would be an interesting sound. Any thoughts? Basically, it would just need the little grommet at the end I suppose?
Old 11-12-2019, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywheaton View Post
I've long wondered if there's a string maker that makes "alternative" strings for a traditional saddle? I'm curious to try some nylon/gut/classical style strings on my guitars. Just think that would be an interesting sound. Any thoughts? Basically, it would just need the little grommet at the end I suppose?
Are you talking about using nylon type strings on a steel string? There are several manufacturers that make nylon strings with ball ends - Martin, D'Addario, and Ernie Ball are just a few that I've seen. I recently picked up a set of the Ernie Ball nylon/ball end strings just to experiment with at some point. Some people have said that there isn't sufficient energy in these strings to drive the top, but given the very unique stuff I do - classical fingerstyle on a steel string, I think it might be worth a try at some point
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 11-12-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

You can use regular nylon strings by tying a knot about the size of the metal grommet on a steel string, then you reach thru the sound hole with all the strings to run them up thru the bridge holes. If you have slotted pins, turn the slot to face the end pin.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:37 AM

That's exciting. Any recommendations on brands or weights, etc?
Old 11-12-2019, 09:46 AM

I've done both - tied knots and used ball-end nylon strings. I have also harvested the ball ends from removed sets of steel strings.

My choice is extra hard tension, because that is closer to normal steel string tension and feel. You'll probably have to use an alternate nut too, or else the strings sit high on top of the slots. And be aware that most guitars braced for steel strings are way over-braced for the much lower tension of nylons.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Problems: a steel string guitar will not sound good volume and tone wise with nylon strings and the intonation will be off more and more as you play up the neck.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion