The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-21-2019, 12:29 PM

Default IK Multimedia iRig HD2 as Practice Amp?

PREFACE
My family and I are living out of our suitcases for the next 3 months, in temporary corporate housing. Everything including guitar amps in transit to Denver, CO and then in storage until late August when our home in CO will be ready. Didn't want to put guitars in the moving van nor storage in CO, so keeping with me in temp housing to hopefully better protect from heat and arid climate.

MF's SDOTD was an IK Multimedia iRig HD2 Guitar Interface for iOS/Mac. Decided to purchase and to use as a practice amp for the next 3 months. Looks interesting and may be useful later as means to record my electric guitars.

Did a search on this forum to see who here has used the iRig with an electric...mostly classifieds and acoustic users came up in the search.

QUESTION
Curious to hear your comments on this product, and to learn how folks have been using it - e.g. recording, practice amp, live performance, etc.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:32 PM

I have just recently started to put together my very novice recording gear to run a large diaphragm condenser mike to capture voice and guitar simultaneously into a Yamaha MG10 Mixer, XLR mono out to the iRig into a iPad Pro for either video recording or to Garage Band for multiple tracks. I have big, big plans(Bahahaha). Now all I need is the time to invest and make this happen. Good luck to you and your move.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

I bought one when I was still working and traveling. Had an Epi LP Special II that I got for $69 used at a GC I'd unbolt the neck from and use the 1st gen iRig HD with my iPhone in a hotel room. A lot of fun and I thought it sounded great. I only ever did one semi-permanent recording with that using GarageBand, but I always had fun just rocking out in the hotel room with earbuds.

P.S. I got the Amplitube basic package and just used what looked like a Fender amp with some drive. I recorded a rhythm [electric] guitar part to a song called Swing Fever, it's near the bottom of that Home Recordings SoundCloud link in my sig.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars