The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-05-2011, 01:16 PM

Default DIY Guitar Kits

All,

I recently stumbled upon a website that sells DIY guitar kits. Apparently, they provide all of the parts you need to build a guitar from the ground up. They offer a wide range of guitar types (e.g., telecaster, stratocaster, SG, etc.) I've always been interesting in building my own guitar, but am not sure where to start. I'm definitely not a "hands-on handyman" kind of guy, so a DIY guitar kit seems ideal. Has anyone ever purchased one of these kits? If so, was it a relatively fun and easy process to build the guitar? Also, does anyone have any recommendations on DIY guitar kits that provide good quality parts with easy-to-follow instructions? Thanks for the help!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:17 PM

Well, I put my toe in the water with a Saga mandolin kit I'm working on, so far so good. The kit was complete and while the instructions are not so great I can figure most of it out and then Google the rest.

There is a website called GuitarAttack and they have a whole section on the Saga kits. They call it Saga Saga's and I go there to get more info.

Today I got the Les Paul style kit and it looks pretty complete at first glance. There is lots of info on YouTube and Google.

I think I'll end up with something nice to have and I built it. Sure maybe a real Les Paul is in my future (I'm jealous you have one) but not soon so I'll make do with my little kit guitar until then.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:07 PM

Check out the Kit Guitars Forum.com
Old 12-09-2011, 11:37 AM

John Hall at Blues Creek Guitars (also the "owner" of Kit Guitar Forum) sells the Saga kits.
I bought one last winter and put it together. The main emphasis on an electric kit is doing the finish. That was 95% of the work to me. The assembly of the electric parts was pretty straightforward and took no time.
If you do, here's some pitfalls I ran across:
1. Make sure the neck fits the body snugly. I put finish on and ended up chipping a part of the body where the neck fit. Didn't kill me, but I shoulda watched better.
2. If you sand with wet/dry paper and use water, be sure to seal all the holes where the screws go, or any unpainted wood surface. That stuff can swell up on ya.
3. Buy from John Hall. I asked, and he provided, an upgrade for the pickups, which I like. I did not listen to the original pickups, so I can't compare, but the upgraded ones (about $50?) are nice. John will also help if you have questions on the wiring. The wiring is simple, but if it's your first time, you might need someone to call and help you with it.
4. Prep your wood. Seal it, pore fill it if needed - I didn't, but was ok. But seal it first. Then prime, spray paint, and finish coats. At Kitguitarforum.com you can get good info on products to use for finishing.
Good luck,
The kit was fun (certainly cheap enough), but again it was all about the finish to me.
Bob
Old 12-10-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naccoachbob View Post
John Hall at Blues Creek Guitars (also the "owner" of Kit Guitar Forum) sells the Saga kits.
I bought one last winter and put it together. The main emphasis on an electric kit is doing the finish. That was 95% of the work to me. The assembly of the electric parts was pretty straightforward and took no time.
If you do, here's some pitfalls I ran across:
1. Make sure the neck fits the body snugly. I put finish on and ended up chipping a part of the body where the neck fit. Didn't kill me, but I shoulda watched better.
2. If you sand with wet/dry paper and use water, be sure to seal all the holes where the screws go, or any unpainted wood surface. That stuff can swell up on ya.
3. Buy from John Hall. I asked, and he provided, an upgrade for the pickups, which I like. I did not listen to the original pickups, so I can't compare, but the upgraded ones (about $50?) are nice. John will also help if you have questions on the wiring. The wiring is simple, but if it's your first time, you might need someone to call and help you with it.
4. Prep your wood. Seal it, pore fill it if needed - I didn't, but was ok. But seal it first. Then prime, spray paint, and finish coats. At Kitguitarforum.com you can get good info on products to use for finishing.
Good luck,
The kit was fun (certainly cheap enough), but again it was all about the finish to me.
Bob
I just got the LC-10 and was a little puzzled on the finish. If I want to paint it it's ready to go....right? If I want to stain it, I would first need to sand off the sealer (I know to watchout to not go thru the veneer) and then stain it....right?

I think I am going to try a sunburst of some type and from what I read it seems I can get as simple as some spray cans. I guess if I mess it up I can decide to do it a solid color.....
Old 12-11-2011, 02:48 PM

Afraid I won't be of any help with staining. I've never done any. If you go that way, best of luck. Hopefully, someone with experience will chime in. Can your vendor tell you about removing sealer?
Old 12-14-2011, 05:47 PM

I did a Saga Les Paul kit it goes together easy but then you have to either set it up yourself or have it set up. The nut has to be re-cut is first thing to be done or it will go sharp as soon as you fret it and I glued the neck in the pocket to get it tighter and better tone.. It sounds awesome now but it took a while of fiddling to get it right action intonation etc. It has real Nice tone etc I play it all the time. When they are done right they sound like a guitar worth a lot more.
Dwight

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair