The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2019, 07:01 PM

Default enclosed to replace Waverley's

Im not a fan of open back tuners so Im wanting to replace the Wave's that came on my guitar with some type of enclosed but would like recomendations of any that would cover the Wave's holes. Needless to say Ill be putting these on the For Sale forum soon. Ive liked M6's and Gotoh the best in the past. I like 18 not 21. Never tried 16 but I dont like 14's. Help please
Old 06-17-2019, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Just give a call to Stew Mac. They have most tuners in stock and own Waverly or at least distribute them. They have all the schematics on their website, but it’d be quicker to call them and they’d give you your options in a second.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Gotoh keys are the best machines I have ever used, without question... the issure is finding a tuning machine that matches the "footprint" of the Waverlys, so you don't have holes and imprints showing after the swap.

A couple years ago, I switched the Schaller keys on my trusty old Mark Angus F-40 to a brand called Ratio tuners, made in Canada. They are extremely accurate and wonderful machines, especially for switching back and forth to different alternate tunings. Each machine is numbered and calibrated for a specific string position (high E to low E), and the ratio is constant between them all... so, when I turn the low E string knob 180 degrees, I get a near perfect 1/2 step drop in the tuning... makes it pretty darned easy to dial in drop D or whatever... check them out! A bit heavier than Gotohs, but really nice machines. (They also come with several different plates to match up to various footprints from other tuning machines...)
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-17-2019, 01:01 PM

I dislike Waverly tuners as well as the OP. While I will no argue with jseth that Gotoh machines are really really good, I like Grover rotos just as much. Obviously the footprint of these will be different from each other. You may have difficulty covering the holes from the Waverlys. I think the key is finding tuners that have the securing screw on the back/bottom of the tuner which will hide more of the old tuners than those that have the screws on a 45° offset.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-17-2019, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Kluson wafflebacks might drop into the Waverly footprint, but they are 16:1 ratio. They are available with oval knobs or Gibson-style trapazoid knobs.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Im not a fan of open back tuners so Im wanting to replace the Wave's that came on my guitar with some type of enclosed but would like recomendations of any that would cover the Wave's holes. Needless to say Ill be putting these on the For Sale forum soon. Ive liked M6's and Gotoh the best in the past. I like 18 not 21. Never tried 16 but I dont like 14's. Help please
Stewmac just announced a new line of Klusons that are supposed to match the geometry of other tuners. I don't know more than that but it would be worth checking out.

Overall, I too think the Gotohs- 510s and SG 301s are the best enclosed tuners.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:10 PM

do you have any details to help me check them out. I mean SM doesnt give any info on their site that I can find of a universal Kluson tuner.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

He may be referring to the Kluson Revolution series tuners. There are several versions. I have 6/side set that replaces the Fender F tuners. They also have 3/side to replace the Kluson deluxe on Les pauls, etc.

As far as I know Stew Mac doesnt carry the Kluson Revolution line. Check Klusons site. I bought mine off EBAY. That said I dont believe they have a style that is compatable with the Waverly footprint, which are improved versions of the old Grover Sta-Tite.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:44 AM

Im shy of the the Kluson name but I will research it. Im thinking though that maybe theres a better open tuner. Ive been reading some good things about Schaller Grand Tune. Any comments on that would be appreciated. I need help here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion