The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-21-2019, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Default Resonator "outfit" from Elderly

I am thinking of getting this Elderly Instruments Delta Blues Resonator Guitar Outfit from Elderly, featuring a Gretsch Alligator Biscuit resonator.

I have heard great things about Elderly, so I have faith that they will do a great setup, and the rest of the deal looks good.

It also comes with a DVD by Toby Walker, which should be very helpful to me, although I don't have a way to play DVDs at the moment.

One tiny doubt that I am having is that there seems to be a lot of love for the Gretsch Boxcar (spider bridge), but not so much for the Alligator (biscuit bridge). From what I've read, a biscuit bridge is generally preferred for blues, whereas a spider bridge is generally preferred for country. I do realise that the "you can play anything on anything" mantra is true, but the biscuit type definitely sounds like it would be better for me, especially since a Boxcar and an Alligator seem otherwise identical. And yet there seems to be little love for the Alligator, hence my concern.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:53 AM

the biscuit bridge gives a much more hollow, bluesy sound, with a shorter attack and delay than the spider bridge. While it's true you can use either for both, the biscuit bridge is THE blues cone type, and the spider bridge setup is for everything else. If you want a bluesy sound, definitely get the biscuit cone setup.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:08 AM

First does your computer not have the ability to play cds/dvds?

Second, here is some Toby Walker and his Boxcar:

https://youtu.be/FTUxHMJkaQE
Old 03-21-2019, 09:10 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
I have heard great things about Elderly, so I have faith that they will do a great setup, and the rest of the deal looks good.
Elderly is a great shop, but don't expect them to do a complete set-up before shipping your guitar; at best, they'll go through it and make sure it plays. But that's okay -- a set-up is a personal thing, and should be undertaken by the buyer after he/she plays the guitar a bit and decides on string gauge and action preferences. Also note that resonators are often sold with a fairly high action to facilitate playing with a slide. Anyway, I would discuss all this with Elderly before purchasing. They're very accommodating on the phone.

Quote:
the biscuit type definitely sounds like it would be better for me
I agree. For blues, a biscuit is where it's at. The wooden Gretsches that I've played all sounded pretty smooth, however, regardless of bridge type. If you want that low down, gut-bucket "honk" of a classic blues resonator, you might look at one of the metal-bodied models.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbluesman View Post
First does your computer not have the ability to play cds/dvds?

Second, here is some Toby Walker and his Boxcar:

https://youtu.be/FTUxHMJkaQE
No, my computer doesn't play CDs or DVDs, it's one of those "modern" laptops, LOL. I had a DVD player, but after I got a Fire TV, I gave it to my mother in-law.

I saw the video of Toby playing the Boxcar, and I read on AGF that someone said Toby did not like the Alligator, which is what is giving me some apprehension. Toby obviously leans more toward blues than country, so I'm wondering why he would not prefer the Alligator (biscuit) over the Boxcar (spider). Maybe he tried ONE Alligator and it was a lemon.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Elderly is a great shop, but don't expect them to do a complete set-up before shipping your guitar; at best, they'll go through it and make sure it plays. But that's okay -- a set-up is a personal thing, and should be undertaken by the buyer after he/she plays the guitar a bit and decides on string gauge and action preferences. Also note that resonators are often sold with a fairly high action to facilitate playing with a slide. Anyway, I would discuss all this with Elderly before purchasing. They're very accommodating on the phone.

I agree. For blues, a biscuit is where it's at. The wooden Gretsches that I've played all sounded pretty smooth, however, regardless of bridge type. If you want that low down, gut-bucket "honk" of a classic blues resonator, you might look at one of the metal-bodied models.
I do hope that Elderly will in fact do a good setup. I realise that it won't be setup to my personal tastes, but I've never played a resonator, so I don't know how personal they'd really be able to make it any way. Based on what I have read on the Elderly web site, they will indeed do a complete setup, presumably to the liking of whoever does the setup.

I'm put off the metal resonators by their weight. I have tried to search for a lighter metal resonator (relatively speaking), but they all seem to weigh too much for me to find them comfortable.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I do hope that Elderly will in fact do a good setup. I realise that it won't be setup to my personal tastes, but I've never played a resonator, so I don't know how personal they'd really be able to make it any way. Based on what I have read on the Elderly web site, they will indeed do a complete setup, presumably to the liking of whoever does the setup.

I'm put off the metal resonators by their weight. I have tried to search for a lighter metal resonator (relatively speaking), but they all seem to weigh too much for me to find them comfortable.

Thanks.
Elderly's setups are as good as they can be without being able to see your playing style.

I have had the Boxcar for about 4-5 years and it does blues great, but yeah, biscuits have a bigger thump and short sustain which lends itself to blues very well but you can absolutely play blues on the Boxcar too.

IME Gretsch makes the best budget Resos on the market. Buying from Elderly will assure you that you aren't getting a dud - they are great to deal with.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-21-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Elderly's setups are as good as they can be without being able to see your playing style.

I have had the Boxcar for about 4-5 years and it does blues great, but yeah, biscuits have a bigger thump and short sustain which lends itself to blues very well but you can absolutely play blues on the Boxcar too.

IME Gretsch makes the best budget Resos on the market. Buying from Elderly will assure you that you aren't getting a dud - they are great to deal with.
Thanks, that's all good to hear.

It's interesting that you and I both have a G&L Tribute Bluesboy and a The Loar LO-16, so I should probably get the Boxcar to match yours.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

+1 on Elderly. I've been dealing with them for well over 25 years and they understand what they are selling and have always treated me right. Which ever one you pick hope you'll find the dive into resonators as enjoyable as I have.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

You can't go wrong with Elderly. I've done business with them since they opened. I think it was the 70s. They used to mail out inventory lists before the internet.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments