The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-18-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
yes, hopefully there's no one left who doesn't know about this at this point :-)
You don't know how much I wish this were true!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-18-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Oh and by the way contrary to what the gent in the video renoslim linked says, there is a way to turn on "Original sound" with a Mobile device also
Here's how:

For Zoom on iPhone, iPad, and Android:
1. Go to “Settings,” Then “Meeting.”
2. Scroll down and enable “Use Original Sound.”

On these devices the setting is persistent, so you don't have to enable it for each session.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-18-2020, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
You don't know how much I wish this were true!
Yes, I just told my son about it last night. He's been doing Zoom open mics and was complaining about the sound, so I asked... He had never heard of it. Funny, I wrote a book about this going online stuff, including how do deal with music on Zoom, and he designed the cover for me. I guess he didn't bother to read what was inside :-)
Old 07-18-2020, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
Some people I was playing with before the pandemic hit were looking for a platform that people can use to play together live. Just doesn't seem to be anything. Even if there were such software and a fast internet, could it not still encounter bottlenecks somewhere?
I mentioned this already in this thread, but here's an article I did for AG on realtime jamming, outlining the various platforms that exist as well as some of the issues:

https://acousticguitar.com/virtual-j...-in-real-time/
Old 07-18-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Funny, I wrote a book about this going online stuff, including how do deal with music on Zoom...
I ordered it about ten minutes ago!

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-18-2020, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I ordered it about ten minutes ago!
Let me know how you like it (or don't). It's more general than just live jamming, trying to go thru all the ways musicians can "collaborate", with a broad definition of that word.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I mentioned this already in this thread, but here's an article I did for AG on realtime jamming, outlining the various platforms that exist as well as some of the issues:

https://acousticguitar.com/virtual-j...-in-real-time/
Doug,
Thank you for the article. Very informative!
Old 07-18-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Let me know how you like it (or don't). It's more general than just live jamming, trying to go thru all the ways musicians can "collaborate", with a broad definition of that word.
I ordered the paper version, so it'll be a few days before I get back to you.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-20-2020, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, I just told my son about it last night. He's been doing Zoom open mics and was complaining about the sound, so I asked... He had never heard of it. Funny, I wrote a book about this going online stuff, including how do deal with music on Zoom, and he designed the cover for me. I guess he didn't bother to read what was inside :-)
We run into this all the time in the Jackson Hole "Virtual" Hootenanny, especially with new participants.
Unfortunately the GUI (at least on computer) is at first glance a bit counterintuitive ,,, because "original sound" is actually enabled, when the box. says "Turn Off Original Sound" I think it would more clear if the box simply stated "Original Sound" and had selection check boxes for (On) or (Off)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-20-2020 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
We run into this all the time in the Jackson Hole "Virtual" Hootenanny, especially with new participants.
Unfortunately the GUI (at least on computer) is at first glance a bit counterintuitive ,,, because "original sound" is actually enabled, when the box. says "Turn Off Original Sound" I think it would more clear if the box simply stated "Original Sound" and had selection check boxes for (On) or (Off)
Yeah, it's a toggle, so it first says "Turn On Originai Sound". Click that, and it's on, and then reads "Turn Off Original Sound". Understandable, but bad UI design... The UI for Zoom in general is a mess. I'd say the worst thing about the original sound button is not the toggle, but the fact that you first have to find a setting under advanced that "Allows Original Sound". Once that's activated, then you get to toggle the confusing button. Apparently they want to be sure you really, really want it to sound better, and don't improve things by accident :-)

But I'd put up with a bad UI if the quality was better. JamKazam, BTW, is even more in need of some UI designers.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:16 PM

The test one issues definitely sounds like internet glitches. I hear that in people's sound even when they have all the settings right. And sometimes I will notice their video freeze up momentarily while the sound continues. The worst is when the glitch cause a video & audio freeze for a moment, then when the feed starts again it is fast (but not pitch changed) until it 'catches up' with real time.

No matter what is used for audio input (webcam, phone, tablet, interface/mics) the bad sound can be worse if the mic(s) used pick up the speaker sound, creating a phasey feedback ("underwater") sound. Close-miking the vocal and DIing the guitar almost eliminates this problem, otherwise you need to use earbuds or headphones to monitor the feed, or remember to mute your speakers when playing.
Even then, if you are using the computer's soundcard for audio, it may not eliminate the problem.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-20-2020, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
T
No matter what is used for audio input (webcam, phone, tablet, interface/mics) the bad sound can be worse if the mic(s) used pick up the speaker sound, creating a phasey feedback ("underwater") sound. .
I don't see that issue with Zoom, it's half-duplex, and I have local monitoring off, so there's no sound coming from my speakers when I'm playing - occasionally, you get a brief echo during a hand-off as someone else starts speaking, tho when I'm doing workshops I mute everyone by default. You absolutely get this effect with JamKazam, which is full-duplex, so you need to use headphones.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I don't see that issue with Zoom, it's half-duplex, and I have local monitoring off, so there's no sound coming from my speakers when I'm playing - occasionally, you get a brief echo during a hand-off as someone else starts speaking, tho when I'm doing workshops I mute everyone by default. You absolutely get this effect with JamKazam, which is full-duplex, so you need to use headphones.
In my experience Zoom mutes you when you're speaking/singing/playing. I use in-ear monitors, so for me it would be nice if it didn't so I could monitor myself. I may get an A/B switch so I can switch output between my PC and my mixer.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-20-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
In my experience Zoom mutes you when you're speaking/singing/playing. I use in-ear monitors, so for me it would be nice if it didn't so I could monitor myself. I may get an A/B switch so I can switch output between my PC and my mixer.
A USB mic with direct monitoring works well for this.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
A USB mic with direct monitoring works well for this.
I can simply turn on direct monitoring on my interface - tho in this case, I don't want to. You'd most likely want to wear headphones if you do this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD