The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-08-2019, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Talking Instrument artisans interested in a shared space? - NYC area

Hello everyone,

I wasn't sure where to post this, but thought I'd start here.

I have a coffee business in western Queens, NY, but I've always had a personal interest in guitars. A space next door to my coffee shop has opened up, and I'm starting to day dream again about a street-level instrument workshop in NYC.

The space is very big, 2300 sq ft or so, with additional square footage (1000?) in a lofted space. It's a uniquely sized and configured space for an area as busily trafficked as it is (Astoria, near the 30th ave subway).

The vision that came to me is a shared workshop space, that also has a showroom / performance space and a retail operation / dealer of some kind integrated into the space. I believe the amount of space exists that could accommodate some kind of comprehensive operation centered around musical instruments / music making.

I'm looking for people who may already have some business going in the realm of repair or building or otherwise, who might be interested in something as I've described. I could certainly use some perspective on feasibility, from someone who has experience setting up a shop.

As someone who's opened a brick and mortar business here, I know there are practical challenges, but I'm hoping there may be people out there who might dream with me a little, to explore if something like this could actually work.

If any part of this sounds interesting, please say hello! It's a very recent thought for me, and my gut is telling me it should at the very least be explored.

If there's a better place for this post, please let me know! I would love to hear any and all thoughts regarding this. Thanks AGF!

Last edited by DLQ; 06-08-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:28 AM

There are similar (ish) workshops in my area, where one can get a membership to have a workspace.

The issue is that they had a table saw, router, (very nice) miter saw table, and drills/hammers. I build almost primarily with hand tools, so the 150$/month membership would be an absolute waste of money.

If you do this, you have to cater to any builder/repair worker that may come. That is the people who slot frets with a table saw, and the ones who cut out neck blanks by hand with a rip saw and hand planes. That can be a challenge.

If you're looking for an excuse to order the entire stewmac catalog, this is your chance. If I'm ever in NYC it would be the first place I'd visit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair