The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-11-2020, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: The Loar LH309

I love old Gibson ES-125's for rhythm type playing, as I mostly play in the folk/folk rock genre and they go well with that sort of thing. But I don't play them enough to justify shelling out what those guitars seem to be going for these days, so I took a shot at ordering a used LH309 from The Loar. I've had good luck with guitars from that brand in the past, and this one is no different thus far.

Bought it online which made me kinda nervous because I've read that this model can have some pretty bad neck angle issues, but I checked with the shop before buying and they assured me this is one of the good ones. And I'd definitely agree so far. The neck is pretty chunky with a V shape, maybe not my all time favorite neck but still plenty comfortable and actually works pretty well for what I need it for. The stock pickup actually sounds pretty nice too, might look to swap it out for something else down the road but overall the guitar definitely has ES125 vibes. Highly recommended for anyone looking to find a budget version.

Old 08-11-2020, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Loar 600

I bought the all-solid Loar 600 in black, put a DeArmond floating pickup on it, sounds fantastic. And a great neck profile, a bit fuller than most modern guitars.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefoolonhill View Post
I bought the all-solid Loar 600 in black, put a DeArmond floating pickup on it, sounds fantastic. And a great neck profile, a bit fuller than most modern guitars.
Yeah I'm trying to figure out what pickup I would want to swap in. Anyone know which winder makes a dogear P90 that'd be close to what you'd find in an ES-125?
Old 08-11-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
...Anyone know which winder makes a dogear P90 that'd be close to what you'd find in an ES-125?
https://www.lollarguitars.com/lollar...nd-p-90-dogear
Old 08-11-2020, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Thanks, Steve! I was looking at that and the Fralin P90, but probably will end up going Lollar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops