The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-29-2020, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default ipad as a song writing note pad & more?

I don't have an ipad, but I'm thinking about getting one to use as a tool for capturing song ideas. I've heard the speakers on the ipad, and IMHO they sound better than the one in the Zoom that I have. And I'm thinking the apps I can get for the ipad would allow me to easily try out harmony parts--multi tracking. Is this true or am I in la-la land? I'd like to create mp3 files that I can then import into Logic to play around with more. Thanks for your thoughts.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 07-29-2020, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
I don't have an ipad, but I'm thinking about getting one to use as a tool for capturing song ideas. I've heard the speakers on the ipad, and IMHO they sound better than the one in the Zoom that I have…

…Thanks for your thoughts.
Hi Karen B

Which Zoom do you have?

I think I understand you're trying to create a portable 'workstation' to write songs, and work through ideas.

For me the Zooms do that very well. Most of my song ideas happen when I'm busy doing something else (driving somewhere, or practicing a different song etc).

So I need want to capture enough of the idea to work with later…and I have other gear to help me work through it later.

I have rarely sat down intending to 'write'.

It's not a pipe-dream to write or record using an iPad. I often copy lyrics to the 'Notes' App - since it populates out across all our phones and computers (we're a Mac family).

But using the video cam in your phone would probably be as good way to capture songs on-the-fly.

It's just as good as the one in the iPad. Listening back through earbuds would improve your fidelity issues.

Since you don't have an iPad (I've owned 6), you have to face learning apps, and the operating system (and protocols). It's more than a-big-phone.

Please keep us in the loop as to how you proceed.

Hope you find the ideal situation for your use…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-29-2020, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, LJ. I have the Zoom H2n. The speaker is so tiny and tinny. Back in the day, I had a shoebox cassette player that had a built in microphone and a decent-ish speaker. I captured a lot of song ideas and learned what I played and sang from listening back. I wish some one would come up with something like that in the digital realm...so easy. I"m actually thinking of getting a cassette player.

I am the last holdout on the planet...and have an old flip phone. I don't get cell reception where I live and don't see a need for it. Smart phones, though convenient,seem way to addictive. I've been to dinner with people and they're checking their smart phones. Unless you have someone in the hospital, it's downright rude. Oh well. That's another whole topic.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 07-29-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Back in the day, I had a shoebox cassette player that had a built in microphone and a decent-ish speaker. I wish some one would come up with something like that in the digital realm.
Digital Voice Recorders

You may want headphones or earbuds, as some of these might not have great speakers. Or transfer to your computer first if you want to use that, but that does add more complexity. But for just capturing ideas, these will probably have as much fidelity as that old "shoebox" recorder without spending a lot.

And they won't give you the fidelity you'd want to put those tracks into Logic to multi-track. That's where the Zoom really shines. Have you tried using headphones to listen back to the Zoom?

If speaker quality is the only issue, you could also plug powered computer-type speakers into such a recorder, although that requires a power outlet.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Chipolte. The reason I don't like using headphones or earbuds, is that I need to take them off when playing so I can really hear what I'm doing, and then put them back on to listen to what I've recorded. Perhaps I could get used to that extra step. I'll try it with my zoom. Been through all those digital recorders, but if I was going to go that route, I'd just use my zoom. They all sound bad without using a headset. With a powered speaker, as you say, I'd need an outlet. Maybe I'll just stay with my zoom for now. I'm not looking to use whatever I record as a real track in Logic, just a reference point. Thanks again.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I don't have an ipad, but I'm thinking about getting one to use as a tool for capturing song ideas. I've heard the speakers on the ipad, and IMHO they sound better than the one in the Zoom that I have. And I'm thinking the apps I can get for the ipad would allow me to easily try out harmony parts--multi tracking. Is this true or am I in la-la land? I'd like to create mp3 files that I can then import into Logic to play around with more. Thanks for your thoughts.
The "speaker" built into recorders such as the H2 are really more for verifying you have a viable recording, not for good sound.

A good set of headphones are a good solution, and you can slip one side off an ear if you need to hear your instrument while recording.

A far better way to enjoy your recorded work is to use a external stereo speaker. There are many to choose from and most of them run on battery power so you don't need to be around an AC source.

Many of these have bluetooth connectivity, but many also have a simple stereo 1/8" cable connection, too.

I use my Creative D100 all the time for all sorts of situations where I want to listen to great room-filling sound that the small speakers of a laptop or portable recorder won't provide. I consider my D100 to be one of the best purchases I've ever made.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/creative-d100-review/

These types of speakers are very popular, and there are lots to choose from if you do a bit of research to narrow down what's right for you.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…Smart phones, though convenient,seem way to addictive. I've been to dinner with people and they're checking their smart phones. Unless you have someone in the hospital, it's downright rude. Oh well. That's another whole topic.
Hi Karen
Yes, it is (both rude and a different topic).

I think the suggestion of ear buds is good because you can always remove one. Even with my wired headphones, I often pull one ear off to monitor the room.

Good luck with the project!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-30-2020, 01:36 PM

I have moved almost entirely from a Windows computer to an iPad Pro, and really am glad that I did.

I use it for recording and editing music, video editing, photo editing, and every else.

The one thing I would recommend is getting the highest amount of memory possible. I have 512GB, but I would get the 1TB model if I was to purchase it now.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I have moved almost entirely from a Windows computer to an iPad Pro, and really am glad that I did.

I use it for recording and editing music, video editing, photo editing, and every else.

The one thing I would recommend is getting the highest amount of memory possible. I have 512GB, but I would get the 1TB model if I was to purchase it now.
Hi lkingston

Have you considered a 1T or 2T outboard reliable hard drive and just offloading all your data? I have a pair of Western Digital 2T drives I share between my laptop and iPad Pro 2018 - one to store files and the other to back-up stored files. I move them off the actual devices quickly.

When I'm editing sound, pictures, video etc. My data is backed up to the external drive, and dumped from the iPad.

If I want to 'show' it to others I stick the edited files on a thumb drive. And all my video projects (huge files) are carried around on SD drives (tiny).

Just a suggestion concerning your 'if-I-were-to-purchase-it-now' thought.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 07-30-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
you could also plug powered computer-type speakers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
external stereo speaker. There are many to choose from and most of them run on battery power so you don't need to be around an AC source.

Many of these have bluetooth connectivity, but many also have a simple stereo 1/8" cable connection, too.
Good point. I was thinking about the 1/8" connection, but forgot that many bluetooth speakers have that as well. Much better idea--portable, and one "lump" (single unit) rather than two like computer speakers would be. That may be the best way to hear your Zoom tracks better without going to earbuds/headphones.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi lkingston

Have you considered a 1T or 2T outboard reliable hard drive and just offloading all your data? I have a pair of Western Digital 2T drives I share between my laptop and iPad Pro 2018 - one to store files and the other to back-up stored files. I move them off the actual devices quickly.

When I'm editing sound, pictures, video etc. My data is backed up to the external drive, and dumped from the iPad.

If I want to 'show' it to others I stick the edited files on a thumb drive. And all my video projects (huge files) are carried around on SD drives (tiny).

Just a suggestion concerning your 'if-I-were-to-purchase-it-now' thought.

Yes, I have a 10TB networked drive (with another 10 TB as backup). I also have a 1TB Gnarbox, though with recent IOS updates you can just use any drive.

I'd still like more onboard storage though. It would let me have more active projects going at once.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Yes, I have a 10TB networked drive (with another 10 TB as backup). I also have a 1TB Gnarbox, though with recent IOS updates you can just use any drive.

I'd still like more onboard storage though. It would let me have more active projects going at once.
Hi lk…

I use Samsung T5 SSD drives as my video project drives (for editing in Final Cut Pro X). They are slightly bigger than a tortilla chip, and weigh only a couple ounces.

When I upgrade those drives for my video work, a T5 will live in my iPad Pro pouch, and another will likely go into my Laptop case. I have too many projects which are at different places of development to leave them on devices. Some projects go for months.

Can the iPad read files directly from the drive, or do we have to transfer them to the iPad to edit them? (I never do any processing on the iPad because I have the MacBook Pro and iMac and prefer/need more sophisticated software).

Getting back to Karen's dilemma - an outboard bluetooth speaker would exceed the quality of the iPad's speakers and eliminate the need for earbuds. I travel with one in my suitcase/backpack for watching videos, movies or listening to music when I don't want things shoved into my ears but need my wife and I both to hear/enjoy the sound.

Ours are 'old' - we have both a Shark and an OontZ Angle 3 Plus. Neither cost us over $30 and will play for hours. And one or both would allow me to plug a cable in if bluetooth isn't an option.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Last edited by ljguitar; 07-31-2020 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added a thought
Old 07-31-2020, 02:08 PM

My son is studying music engineering at Berklee in Boston. He goes back and forth between Pro Tools, Logic, and Ableton. He uses a huge array of plugins, virtual instruments, and pitch and time correction. A typical project of his will have upwards of 60 tracks. He really needs a full computer for those types of projects.

My needs are much simpler. A project will be basically a live band type recording with maybe five or six tracks...or maybe just guitar and vocals. Auria on the iPad Pro for multitrack audio, or Luma Fusion for video works just fine for my projects.

With video, all project video has to be on the iPad, but I'm just doing short promo stuff and that works fine. I can easily audition media off the networked drive and just copy over what I need.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD