The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Default CA & Rainsong guitars...

Has anyone out there played the full carbon offerings from both companies, namely the Performer X from CA and the OM from Rainsong? Just curious on the comparison between these two models. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:33 PM

I have played the 12 string and drednaught size guitars from Rain Song. They are amazing guitars. I know a little about Carbon Fiber as I photographed indy cars for 15 year and the tub, body work and wings are all carbon fiber.

It is incredibly strong and light. The tops resonate like crazy because they are thin and have no bracing inside. Consequentially Rain Song guitars are loud.

They lack a little of the warmth of a wood guitar but they play like butter and weather will never effect the guitar. If you don't like the carbon fiber material you can always paint the guitar any color you like.
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 10-30-2006, 09:39 PM

I purchased a used CA X standard about three weeks ago. It was in perfect shape. All I can say is that I have been playing guitar for 30 years and it is the best most innovative guitar I have every seen or played. It is loud for a OM model and has great definition. Electrically with the Baggs IMIX system it is beyond awesome. I have played some rainsongs along side a CA legency and I thought the CA was much better. Had not had a chance to play the rainsong OM model. I would encourage you to try the CA X, I can't imagine that you will be dissapointed. Email me with any specific questions.
Steve
Old 10-31-2006, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Doubleneck,
You have a PM...

Mdunn,
I currently own a 12 string jumbo and a WS, so I'm very familiar with them, but I wish to downsize to a smaller carbon fiber instrument for gigging and traveling. Thanks for the heads up on 'customizing' the finish. I never thought of that. Could make for a cool 'one of a kind' instrument...
Old 11-02-2006, 09:24 AM

I have a CA X-standard and Legacy Dread. I also play a Collings CJ and a Bourgeois slope.

Acoustically, the CA's are in the league of a good production wood guitar...Taylor, Martin, etc. Plugged in, they really shine.
My X has Colosi Bone pins and saddle, with the iMix. I typically use it through a PA, and separate the two pickups, so I can EQ separately, and use a DTAR Mama Bear on the UST side. I do the same with the ProBlend on the dread. I like a 1 11/16 neck, so the Rainsong (1 3/4) wasn't really an option for me, although I did try them out.

For my ears, the CAs sounded more wood-like, although a lot of folks like the signature Rainsong sound.

If you're in the market to buy something, my worship group has gone more contemporary, so I haven't been using the acoustics much of late, and will probably be selling the X and one of the Slopes in the near future.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:47 AM

I had the chance to play both of them last night. My impression is that both the CA and the Rain Song give up much of the bass to get the smaller body size. It is there but not as pronounced. I also played a Rain Song dread and the comparrison confirmed what I had heard.

I hope this helps.
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 11-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

mdunn,
Yeah, I know that and expected you'd say that, but I want something a little smaller and more comfortable than the WS. How did the CA X performer and OM compare head to head in terms of acustic tone, feel, playability, fit/finish and pickup systems/plugged in sound?

morg21279,
I thought CA made a 1 3/4" nut? Which one is 11/16th, the dread or the x, or both? What year is your X?
Old 11-02-2006, 10:58 AM

I think everything at the original factory was 1 11/16. When the new factory came on line this year, they switched to 1 3/4. I think My X and Dread are both 2005 models.

Acoustically, the smaller body does give us bass - just physics. That's why you hook up a DTAR mama bear, and set the target guitar to a big-body, and let the electronics add-in the bass for you when plugged in.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:37 AM

Hi Morg,

Can I ask if the fretboard on the CA X is of composite material? Was just taking a look at the pics on Elderly.com, and to me, it looks a little wood-ish. (Perhaps the pics are not so clear.) Always had the impression that practically everything about the CA is composite.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/n...h-case--XP.htm
'15 Fender AmStd Stratocaster SB
Old 11-08-2006, 10:43 AM

I can't answer your questions, but the CA website has a lot info. The soundclips are useful, and from what I can hear the carbon guitars seem to magnify mistakes. I'd love to surprise my wife with a RS 12s.

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele
Old 11-08-2006, 04:55 PM

Talking

All CA's are entirely composite. There is no wood. I believe that you will find that they have improved the guitars because of the dollars spent retooling the plant. The retooling means they have tighter quality control along with some design changes.

As a rep for CA I can tell you that as the dealers are signing back on they have a common comment in that "we liked your guitars before but we like them even better now!" And that does my heart good Since the dealers are not on the website yet, if you want to know where you can try them just email me at [email protected]

I'm not trying to sell here just answer some questions. If you have more questions the guitars I will answer them.

The Doc
Old 11-08-2006, 07:31 PM

actually the older ca guitars had ebony fretboards. I played one older CA legacy model and the heck was in fact ebony, but all the recent ones are completely composite material.

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 11-08-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morg21279 View Post
I have a CA X-standard and Legacy Dread. I also play a Collings CJ and a Bourgeois slope.

Acoustically, the CA's are in the league of a good production wood guitar...Taylor, Martin, etc. Plugged in, they really shine.
My X has Colosi Bone pins and saddle, with the iMix. I typically use it through a PA, and separate the two pickups, so I can EQ separately, and use a DTAR Mama Bear on the UST side. I do the same with the ProBlend on the dread. I like a 1 11/16 neck, so the Rainsong (1 3/4) wasn't really an option for me, although I did try them out.

For my ears, the CAs sounded more wood-like, although a lot of folks like the signature Rainsong sound.

If you're in the market to buy something, my worship group has gone more contemporary, so I haven't been using the acoustics much of late, and will probably be selling the X and one of the Slopes in the near future.

How do you like the bone saddle and pins? did the ca come with composite material pins? My rainsong came with composite material pins and I've thought about "upgrading" my saddle and pins....how is the sound difference?

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 11-08-2006, 11:25 PM

Here is the history of Fretboards used on CA's. My dates for these may be off a bit. After having a son in 2002, my brain has been polluted by the Wiggles!

The very first circa 2000 to 2001 were rosewood.
Then, around 2001 to 2002, the change was made to Ebony for the Legacy AE.

As the new units, the Bluegrass Performer and C.O.T. (Crown of Thorns) were introduced, they employed the new composite fretboard.

During the summer / fall of 2003 (approximately) All Legacy AE, COT, and Bluegrass Performers had a composite fretboard-And had binding.

When the X Standard (1 and 11/16" nut width) was introduced in 2004, all had composite fretboards with no fret markers on the fingerboard.

All current production Composite Acoustic models have a composite fingerboard, no binding, and have fret markers.

I can look at a serial number and tell any owners what they have if there is a question...I am a bit of a CA historian.

The Chef

Last edited by The Chef; 11-08-2006 at 11:27 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-09-2006, 05:20 PM

Chef could you email me at [email protected]. I have some specific questions about my CA guitar.
Steve Kitchen

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber