The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W View Post
I was at the shop that I frequent for fingerstyle instruction when Tony McMannus showed up with his signature guitar and gave us all an impromptu half hour concert on his Signature PRS, as he was promoting them. He was plugged into a fishman acoustic amp and it was of course an amazing experience. A couple of weeks later I tried one of those guitars. I found it to be kind of heavy and not as good as I thought it would be and in the 6K price range with Brazilian and Spruce. I heard that the PRS guitars are not his favorite either but loves to promote them. I felt that there were many other guitars in that range that were better. I also understand that Tony McMannus can make a plastic toy guitar sound good.
PRS acoustics are not his favorite? Quite the contrary from what I've seen.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I played three or four of the handmade Paul Reed Smith acoustics at the tent the company had at the Fretboard Summit a couple of years ago. Mr. Smith himself was in there, but there's another luthier on his payroll who was also there who's actually in charge of building their acoustic guitars. I'm sorry that I can't recall that gentleman's name, but Mr. Smith was quite deferential to him.

The guitars themselves were fine instruments, very even across the tonal spectrum. Their playability was great, as were the materials used to make them. The fit and finish were what you'd expect from guitars in that price point, which is to say excellent.

The tone was similar to guitars built by high end custom builders like Mike Baranik and Jeff Traugott, and all of the guitars were very responsive to a light touch.

Wade Hampton Miller
That luthier would probably be Steve Fischer?
Old 02-07-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
That luthier would probably be Steve Fischer?
Might be, probably is. Both of them were friendly and helpful.

While in their presence I didn't delve too deeply into either the guitars or their goals and philosophy about them, for the simple reason that the instruments themselves are out of my price range. Basically, I stepped into the tent, said howdy, played a few of the guitars and then left.

Had the guitars been within the realm of something I could afford, I might have stayed longer and talked more searchingly about them with them both. But since I knew I couldn't afford one, I didn't want to waste their time or mine.

whm
Old 02-07-2018, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

I bought a PRS Acoustic when they first decided to venture into that market. I was a big fan of their electrics.

I went into Guitar Center and inquired and was shocked when the found one in stock in another store. At that time there were two model only the Angelus and Tonarre. I did not love it and do not remember exactly why. It was beautiful and sounded nice. I probably did not like its neck as I only get along with a neck shape similar to Martins MLO neck, but after playing their electrics, the neck was somewhat surprising to me. I honestly cant say 100% why we didn't get along. But I copied the retail slip. Looking back, that was a heck of a good deal at $4250 on sale.

PRS Angelus Cutaway Acoustic Guitar with Rosewood Back and Sides Regular Natural $4795.00 $4250.00

Just found a few Pics:

Old 02-07-2018, 11:13 PM

It appears utilising fan bracjng behind the bridgeplate seems to be the main difference between the prs approach and conventional x braced acoustics.

However avail Michael bashkin has been using hybrid x brace with fan bracing behind the bridge plate long before prs started selling their acoustics.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:13 PM

There's a NOS Grand Tonare, Brazilian b/s in my local music store that's gorgeous. They're selling it for 60% off their original price--not the fake MSRP--the store's original price, because they've had it for two or three years now.

The owner says they can't move it because no one knows PRS acoustics; all they sell are Martins and Taylors. If it was a lefty I would have bought it on site.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakar12 View Post
There's a NOS Grand Tonare, Brazilian b/s in my local music store that's gorgeous. They're selling it for 60% off their original price--not the fake MSRP--the store's original price, because they've had it for two or three years now.

The owner says they can't move it because no one knows PRS acoustics; all they sell are Martins and Taylors. If it was a lefty I would have bought it on site.
Do they have a website?
Old 02-09-2018, 03:35 PM

There's a nice tonare on sale on reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/5893319-prs-...bacco-sunburst

And a nice angelus:

https://reverb.com/item/9862323-paul...nian-blackwood
Old 02-09-2018, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

I played a couple at the Woodstock show a few years back. The guys at the table were so disinterested, talking with each other, never once asking if I had questions or anything. Not a good way to make an impression. As far as how they played, they were just “okay” to me in a sea of hand crafted gems. Maybe it was a bad environment, but there were many other guitars at Woodstock that sounded far better. I’d buy a Furch before a PRS, or Collings. I know I left with a bad impression, I just think you can find better for the same money, SE line not included because I have not seen those yet.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 02-10-2018, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
Those are some excellent prices!
Old 03-19-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20C View Post
When the PRS acoustics first came out several years ago, I was living in a small town east of Seattle. One afternoon, I and a couple of friends went into a small store in Bellevue to try them out.

We all agreed they were, at once, one of the more mediocre sounding and best sounding guitars we had ever played.

By that, I mean that, while playing the guitar, I was thinking, “for $7k, this guitar doesn’t sound all that great.” My friends, on the other hand were saying it sounded fantastic.

So, we switched off. Sure enough, when seated in front the guitar, it sounded amazing. But, from the player’s perspective, not so much.

I’ve played other guitars that displayed this characteristic, but not to this extent. If the store owner had been willing to be the least bit flexible with the price, I might have left with one. I haven’t played or seen one since.
Paul Reed Smith says he wants the back and sides of his acoustics to be firm and the top to project sound outward - perhaps this is what you heard and makes sense. That sounds like a great philosophy but like you experienced, maybe isn't as enjoyable for the player - which is probably the most important thing to me since most of us play to ourselves.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:52 PM

They're polarizing guitars. I've owned one since they were released. I love dearly the sound profile but I realize it isn't for everyone. They record beautifully though. Here's a tune we did using two PRS Angelus. I thought the recording came out pretty well.

https://soundcloud.com/elton-clifton/southern-belle
Old 03-19-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodguy2k2k View Post
Paul Reed Smith says he wants the back and sides of his acoustics to be firm and the top to project sound outward - perhaps this is what you heard and makes sense. That sounds like a great philosophy but like you experienced, maybe isn't as enjoyable for the player - which is probably the most important thing to me since most of us play to ourselves.
I have had an Angelus now for a while and it sounds great to me from the player standpoint.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
They're polarizing guitars. I've owned one since they were released. I love dearly the sound profile but I realize it isn't for everyone. They record beautifully though. Here's a tune we did using two PRS Angelus. I thought the recording came out pretty well.

https://soundcloud.com/elton-clifton/southern-belle
Nice guitar tone...Really Nice Vocals!!
Old 03-19-2021, 06:06 PM

I played a couple of them when they were first introduced and found them to be clunky. They were overbuilt, too heavy, and they just didn't sound very good.

I haven't played on in many years, though, so maybe they worked those bugs out...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion