The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-18-2016, 05:34 PM

Default Looking for a songbook/chords/tab app for offline use

Hi all
Planning a trip where internet access will be generally undependable. I have been planning for a while to buy an app that would let me assemble a songbook, and now the ability to have that info available to me while *offline* is a priority. So many of these just curl up and die if they can't reach the mother ship...

Ideally, I'd like to be able to download specific song details - chords, lyrics, tabs, for offline use. Nice to have's would include having the app play the basic tune for me. If it could transpose keys that would be fantastic. But basic stuff showing chords, tabs and lyrics is the meat of it.

I will be using an android tablet, so can't leverage the various "i" options that seem already out there.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2016, 07:10 PM

Default I use LyricPad

I use LyricPad. It's Android only. Fairly easy and intuitive. It's been stable and handy in lieu of a notebook of printed stuff. There are features I've not used. I'd suggest that you check it out on their website, search for LyricPad and see if it has the features you are looking for.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:12 PM

I just use MS Word.

I have set up a template so that everything is in a fixed space font like Lucida Console. I have some quite complex macros and formatting options developed over the years but, basically it's not much different than alternating lines of chords and lyrics.

FWIW: e.g. some of the stuff that is automated

Chords are in a set style so will always appear that way, as a lyrics. Bass notes are shown in a different colour adjacent the basic chord. Headings are always formatted a certain way and indexing options automatically generated. (I like hard copy - with a comprehensive index) If there needs to be transposition, I can set the song to automatically change keys (with a bit of jigger pokery using VBA) but I normally just set the key I am likely to use and then transpose on sight. If there is a particular piece of music that cannot be readily conveyed using letters, I embed a section of Staff with the passage needed. Instructions like repeats and tags are usually set in a different colour on the end of a line so that I can readily refer to it. And lots of other customisations.

My hard copy music book runs to approx 500 pages now with all songs grouped according to key.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
android, app, chords, songbook, tabs