The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-21-2018, 05:55 AM

Default using richlite as alternative bridgeplate

I wonder if anyone has tried using richlite, or similar material for the bridge plate? With so many discussions about the ball end on the strings chewing into the bridge plate, something harder such as this would help in that regard. Perhaps not the entire bridgeplate, but maybe just small areas where the stirng passes through, using something like the StewMac tool to cut a pocket and plug.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:38 AM

With correctly fit bridge pins and slotted pin holes, wear of the bridge plate is a non-issue. In such cases any hardwood will do: padauk, maple, rosewood, etc all work fine. Weight can be a factor in ones choice of material.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:09 AM

The simple and effective solution is to install a Plate Mate.

I make my own from a thin strip of brass or aluminum. Stick 'em in place with 3M double-sided tape.

They weigh just a few grams and are a good choice for damaged plates--as well as preventing damage on new instruments.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:45 AM

Here's a pic. Simple and cheap to make using a small plier punch. You get three out of a single $4 12" strip of brass or aluminum. Your local hobby store sells this stuff.

https://ibb.co/kjrkwT
Old 05-22-2018, 03:06 AM

I do not think it’s overly important what the bridge plate material is made from, so long as it’s some form of hardwood. One advantage of richlite is that it has no grain, so it’s unlikely that it will crack like some bridge plates do over time.

Plate mates have a purpose but I do not recommend them unless you are after a cheap fix for a torn out plate, they can and have caused buzzing issues, the ball ends vibrate against them.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-22-2018, 04:14 AM

It's not the pin that anchors the string ball, it's the bridge plate. The pin is what holds the ball against the plate. String tension pulls against the ball and keeps it firmly in contact with the bridge plate.

If a string ball is vibrating in any bridge (Plate Mate or not), it means the string is improperly installed.

Last edited by Peegoo; 05-22-2018 at 04:15 AM. Reason: I can no longer spell!
Old 05-22-2018, 05:57 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
With correctly fit bridge pins and slotted pin holes, wear of the bridge plate is a non-issue. In such cases any hardwood will do: padauk, maple, rosewood, etc all work fine. Weight can be a factor in ones choice of material.
Worth repeating. My oldest guitar is 82 years old now, with a perfect condition bridge plate. Of course it started life with properly designed and fitted pins.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:57 AM

That is true.

But a whole lot of guitars out there have pretty soft plates.

And if you look into many of the affordable guitars today, you'll see the bridge pin holes appear to have been made with a knitting needle; there's a lot of tear-out on the bridge plate. The guitars leave the factories with those splinters hanging off the wood. If you reach into one without being careful, you'll get stabbed.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:03 AM
Guest 1928

Cleaner work would certainly be better, but the biggest problem is poorly fitted slotted pins. Fix that and you're done. Anything else is a second rate bandaid...in my opinion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair