The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-05-2018, 06:59 AM

Default Lighter tailpiece & finger rest?

So I want to repurpose my Eastman AR805ce into an acoustic only. I know I don't really have to do anything but I like acoustic guitars to be on the lighter side. The tailpiece is ebony with metal underneath(LOOKS heavy?) and the finger rest is 1/8" thick ebony. The 13 year old tuners are getting gritty and not so smooth so those need to be replaced anyway.
I'm guessing something like this would be lighter:
http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...Tailpiece.html
or this
http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...Tailpiece.html

I'm open to any and all suggestions (i.e. is it even worth trying). I know ebony is a "heavy" wood, but would swapping the TP and finger rest cut weight enough to even notice? If I swap finger rest I would also remove the attached floating pick up too.
The bridge is ebony and is cut from better intonation, no problem keeping that but I did see this:
http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...ne_Saddle.html
and wonder if it would lean slightly more flat topish tone than archtop?
Any suggestions for appropriate looking quality tuners welcomed also.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:20 AM

IMO the weight savings will be negligible with the Kluson tailpiece - should add a nice vintage vibe though, and a set of these not only completes the package but will save you some weight at the headstock:

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_..._Bushings.html

You might also try a laminated-plastic (postwar L-7 style) or single-layer tortoiseshell-type (prewar Epiphone Zenith/Blackstone) pickguard, although I think the weight savings will also be minimal...

As far as the bone-saddle bridge is concerned I personally wouldn't use it on a 16" guitar, which generally has no problem with treble response; IME these are intended to brighten up a muddy-sounding 17"/18" comp box (Gibson L-7/L-5/Super 300/Super 400, Epiphone Triumph/Broadway/DeLuxe/Emperor) or add a little "bite" to a "thud-&-mud" electric jazzbox with built-in pickups - bear in mind that an archtop is very much sui generis, and you'll never really turn it into something it's not. I'd focus on experimenting with string brands/types/gauges to achieve a more subtle and complex coloration; you don't say what you're using right now, but if you're going straight acoustic I'd start with a set of acoustic strings - a little fine-tuning (no pun intended) should get you close to what you're after...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 04-05-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:03 PM

Thank you Steve. I guess I’m not surprised at all by your comments. Different strings and picks will get me there. I’m not trying to make it sound like a Martin, but yeah, as you infered it is being solid maple b&s bright enough as it is. I have coated D’Addarrio .13’s on it but I have a set of Martin retro monel 12’s next in line.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:04 PM

Save the 12's for your OM/parlor - you'll need a set of 13's (in your case Martin Retro Monel MM13) to properly drive the top; great stuff, BTW - they've made a change for the better on every guitar on which I've installed them, and I'm presently in the process of going over to Monels on all my acoustics...
Old 04-06-2018, 12:44 PM

The ebony over metal tailpiece is actually just a trapeze with the ebony part stuck on top. Somebody on the Just Jazz Guitar board replaced his tailpiece with a trapeze, but I don't recall it being a huge difference.

I put a vintage style tortoise guard on my 805 non cutaway, and it looks a lot better to me, but I never got around to replacing the tailpiece.

Set up and strings will make the big difference in making the guitar more acoustic. If the guitar is lightly built enough you can make 12's work, but I have 13's on my 805. I prefer 80/20 bronze for projection, but I also dig monel if something a bit woodier is up your alley.

1932 Gibson L-5
1939 Gibson L-5
1937 Gibson ES-150
2012 National Style 1 (German Silver)
2004 Eastman 805 non-cut
2002 John LeVoi 12-fret Petite Bouche
2016 Waterloo WL-14 LTR
1939 Gibson EH-185
Vintage '47 VA-185G
Old 11-05-2021, 06:11 AM

Shouldn't a "floating tailpiece" be as heavy as possible, so that it acts as a fixed fixation point for the strings? Or is a lighter one going to help dampen any acoustic contribution of the string segments between saddle and tailpiece?

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 11-08-2021, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I used to have an AR805e which I traded but now have an AR805.

The electrics on the "e" were very good and very subtle placements of he tone and volume pots were impressive, but every time I took it out I thought "lectric guitar!"

Both have the same tail piece but I have to say I t don't think there is significant weight much weight in them, and doubt it would affect tone in any way (look at some of the heavyweight monstrosities on old Gibsons and Epis!

I would council leaving well alone.

and

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops