The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-04-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulin View Post
Check out the Roland CM-30 cube monitor. Mic stand mountable or set on a table at ear level. Actually I use mine as a PA for small venues.
I’ll check this one out too. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
The 1/4" input is balanced, so a cable like this

https://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSHXS...ABEgKcL_D_BwE=

would do the trick. My buddy's would not run a mic straight into it, we always ran out of a little mixer into the 1/4" jack.
The Kustom manual says the 1/4” is unbalanced though. But does it matter if the 1/4” cable is either balanced or unbalanced?
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin Custom 05 Java-DX(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Taylor GS-Mini-Hog(Traveler)
Old 01-04-2018, 10:40 AM

I really like the compact size of the behringer B205D though, I just don’t see myself paying twice as much than what the Kustom cost. Again unless I were to find it used/preowned.

My budget honestly is roughly $100 or so.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 01-04-2018, 10:43 AM

Since light and portable seem to be of importance to you, I will make a different recommendation and it's reality based as we use it ourselves as a monitor.

We use a Roland Mobile Cube as a monitor. Very small - runs on batteries or AC power. Plenty of volume for solo or duo. It is also capable of playing small gigs or busking.

We run a line out from our Street Cube EX to the Mic input on the Mobile Cube. Works great. You could just use the cable suggested by Yamahaguy in the same way.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-04-2018, 10:49 AM

You're right, the manual does say the 1/4" is unbalanced, so this cable should do the trick

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...ct-patch-cable

I've used balanced cables in place of unbalanced and never had a problem. On the flip side, I've used unbalanced cables in place of balanced and on occasion would get unwanted noise.

Best of luck.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Since light and portable seem to be of importance to you, I will make a different recommendation and it's reality based as we use it ourselves as a monitor.

We use a Roland Mobile Cube as a monitor. Very small - runs on batteries or AC power. Plenty of volume for solo or duo. It is also capable of playing small gigs or busking.

We run a line out from our Street Cube EX to the Mic input on the Mobile Cube. Works great. You could just use the cable suggested by Yamahaguy in the same way.
Nice, this one seems a lot more convincing then the Behringer in terms of price.

Quote:
You're right, the manual does say the 1/4" is unbalanced, so this cable should do the trick

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...ct-patch-cable

I've used balanced cables in place of unbalanced and never had a problem. On the flip side, I've used unbalanced cables in place of balanced and on occasion would get unwanted noise.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the recommendation!
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 01-04-2018, 01:07 PM

Apparently there is also a Kustom KPM4, which looks exactly like the KPC4P same specs. But has a balance 1/4” input, same price too. And another one called Powerwerks PW4P, same everything but listed at $119.

I wonder if the KP4M and KPC4P are the same, just renamed model number. Anyone know?
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 01-04-2018, 03:38 PM

I just got in touch with Kustom, and they’re are in fact the same. The KPC4P is just a newer model.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 01-04-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf702 View Post
I just got in touch with Kustom, and they’re are in fact the same. The KPC4P is just a newer model.
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:21 PM

I just purchased one at GC, went home and find out the power adapter isn’t in the box Lol. Now I gotta go back to the store and get that situated. I’m curious to get this running already.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 01-04-2018, 06:24 PM

I have an interesting problem, I hooked everything up but no sound. But if I plug the 1/4” TRS(balanced) about half way or so in, sound comes out. But I have to literally have the volume at max on the Kustom to get decent volume. I’ve turned up the master volume on the Loudbox and helps a bit.

I would think I’d get more volume out of the Kustom Also I’m hearing lots of hissing coming from the Kustom.

Any ideas what’s going on?
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:03 PM

Maybe you'll have to use an unbalanced cable? Have you tried XLR to XLR?
Old 01-04-2018, 07:07 PM

Ok so, apparently I had a Whirlwind little imp adapter laying around that I bought months ago and never used. Figured I try that with a regular xlr cable, I then plugged that up to the Kustom monitor and it seemed like it wasn’t getting a full signal, the volume sounded low even though the volume knob was turned up to the max.

But the moment I pulled the plug out about 1/3. Then it immediately sounded like I was getting a full signal and the volume was loud and sound quality improved. What an odd way to connect this unit to get it operating properly.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf702 View Post
I have an interesting problem, I hooked everything up but no sound. But if I plug the 1/4” TRS(balanced) about half way or so in, sound comes out. But I have to literally have the volume at max on the Kustom to get decent volume. I’ve turned up the master volume on the Loudbox and helps a bit.

I would think I’d get more volume out of the Kustom Also I’m hearing lots of hissing coming from the Kustom.

Any ideas what’s going on?
The Kustom stuff can be great bargains or duds/busted straight out of the box.

We have a Kustom PA50 mini PA that works great. We had to send back two defective units to get the good one though.

The one that works is a great little PA and monitor for larger gigs. Their QC is atrocious though IME/IMO.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-04-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Maybe you'll have to use an unbalanced cable? Have you tried XLR to XLR?
That’s what I ended up using was my spare xlr to xlr with the Whirlwind little imp adapter, plugging it in about 1/2 way in. And oddly enough it works and sounds really good.

Although the xlr to 1/4 balanced and unbalanced, I had both cables still worked if I plugged it halfway but didn’t sound as good as the xlr with Whirlwind adapter. Odd setup fumbling around like this, but works nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
The Kustom stuff can be great bargains or duds/busted straight out of the box.

We have a Kustom PA50 mini PA that works great. We had to send back two defective units to get the good one though.

The one that works is a great little PA and monitor for larger gigs. Their QC is atrocious though IME/IMO.
Yeah that sucks, I don’t have time for constant returns and exchanges Lol. With this setup I just did with the Whirlwind little imp adapter and regular xlr cable it seems to work fine.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:27 PM

I have a pair of PA50s I use at my room at school along with the matching powered sub, and on occasion I have to swap the order of the speakers in the chain to get the one to work right. I can relate to the finicky nature of hooking up Kustom products. I had owned two of their powered 10s with dual 10s and a horn, and they always worked, but were sometimes finicky with getting a clean signal to them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification