The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-13-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
A couple of things came to mind as I read your post. First, I thought you were joking. Then I saw you weren't. Next, I saw where you live and found it difficult to believe this kind of thing happens there. I must be naive, but I really didn't think Toronto was like that, at least according to what I've been told.
I guess it just goes to show you how crazy a world this is, no matter where you live. Glad you're ok though. We are playing a downtown street fair tomorrow evening. I'll be paying close attention to my surroundings.
Like any large metropolitan city, we have our share of crazies. On the whole, I have found Toronto to be a very safe place to live. Though as anyone who lives in a large city will tell you, be aware of your surroundings. To the OP, glad you walked away from this incident

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 07-14-2018, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the out pouring of regards and concern....

I am on the mend, the burn is already starting to heal. My head hurts a bit, helps that its made of iron slab.

We are pursuing finding him of course, the cops with statements and video...

I had to realize, I won. I was only slightly hurt, I did not injure him and got to jail for doing so, I went and played another gig later that night.

And last night I forgave him. Mission complete. Lets hope we dont have to go through that again.

Your mind goes through all kinds of things..what you could have done, should have done, would like to have done. Then shock at how close I was to one eye blinded....to exhaustion.

But its...as John Lennon sang...getting better all the time.

D.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
Like any large metropolitan city, we have our share of crazies. On the whole, I have found Toronto to be a very safe place to live. Though as anyone who lives in a large city will tell you, be aware of your surroundings. To the OP, glad you walked away from this incident
Apparently crystal methadrine just came into Toronto 6 months ago. The cops said unprovokeds are becoming "common" at the Yonge-Dundas square.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
...And last night I forgave him. Mission complete...
I love these words. There IS a better way than hate and revenge!

cotten
Old 07-15-2018, 05:13 AM

First, I have to say that even though I had some scary run-ins with drunks in my busking and barroom musician days, I never had anything that violent happen to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Apparently crystal methadrine just came into Toronto 6 months ago. The cops said unprovokeds are becoming "common" at the Yonge-Dundas square.
Not surprising. Property crime has skyrocketed in the Anchorage area in the past few years, and it's directly linked to drug abuse. While it's the opioids that garner most of the attention in the media, the Anchorage Police Department has tried to alert the public that they're finding meth right alongside the heroin and fentanyl: in other words, the druggies are often using both.

I was parked at a mall here this past afternoon, but had to stay in my car for a few minutes to take care of some things. There were a couple of heavily tattooed shagnasties walking back and forth in front of the stores, talking a mile a minute to each other and constantly fidgeting with their clothing: raising their hoodies, dropping the hoods back down, gesticulating and grabbing their crotches, swaggering back and forth up to one end of the sidewalk, then back down to the other.

I'd be extremely surprised if they were just "high on life," frankly. It looked like they had more than just a little bit of chemical enhancement going on.

whm
Old 07-15-2018, 06:53 PM

[QUOTE=Wade Hampton;5784113

I'd be extremely surprised if they were just "high on life," frankly. It looked like they had more than just a little bit of chemical enhancement going on.

whm[/QUOTE]

Abusers of modern chemistry, for sure.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
First, I have to say that even though I had some scary run-ins with drunks in my busking and barroom musician days, I never had anything that violent happen to me.

Not surprising. Property crime has skyrocketed in the Anchorage area in the past few years, and it's directly linked to drug abuse. While it's the opioids that garner most of the attention in the media, the Anchorage Police Department has tried to alert the public that they're finding meth right alongside the heroin and fentanyl: in other words, the druggies are often using both.

I was parked at a mall here this past afternoon, but had to stay in my car for a few minutes to take care of some things. There were a couple of heavily tattooed shagnasties walking back and forth in front of the stores, talking a mile a minute to each other and constantly fidgeting with their clothing: raising their hoodies, dropping the hoods back down, gesticulating and grabbing their crotches, swaggering back and forth up to one end of the sidewalk, then back down to the other.

whm
I have a friend who is a retired FBI agent who lived and worked in Wyoming and who's last 10 years on the job was as a liaison with the DEA . In Wyoming some remote "back woods" locations had become significant meth lab areas. He maintained that meth heads who were high at the time of arrest, were the some of most difficult to deal with of any abusers, right up there with PCP. But had become much a more of a wide spread problem because meth was much more popular and labs and distribution networks could be set up virtually anywhere in the states and did not entail the logistical problem of having to be imported into the US and then distributed. As well as being the most logistically dangerous to raid because of possible explosion.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-16-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I have a friend who is a retired FBI agent who lived and worked in Wyoming and who's last 10 years on the job was as a liaison with the DEA . In Wyoming some remote "back woods" locations had become significant meth lab areas. He maintained that meth heads who were high at the time of arrest, were the some of most difficult to deal with of any abusers, right up there with PCP. But had become much a more of a wide spread problem because meth was much more popular and labs and distribution networks could be set up virtually anywhere in the states and did not entail the logistical problem of having to be imported into the US and then distributed. As well as being the most logistically dangerous to raid because of possible explosion.
Bathtub speed made from antihistamines is some nasty stuff. Seeps into hair and clothing. Poison to breathe as well as ingest. People tweeking on it are crazy. Be careful.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 07-16-2018, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
Bathtub speed made from antihistamines is some nasty stuff. Seeps into hair and clothing. Poison to breathe as well as ingest. People tweeking on it are crazy. Be careful.
Thanks but It was not me it was my friend, and he is long retired.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-16-2018, 04:23 PM

My dad managed a bluegrass band in the 90's. They were playing a tiny venue in a large city and were tuning up on the sidewalk because of no room any where else. A "citizen" walking by punched a hole right thru a beloved D-28. He ran and everyone was to stunned too do anything. Insurance doesn't make up for a lost friend
2014 Yamaha LS16
2020 Squier CV 50's Telecaster
2022 Yamaha FG3
Old 07-16-2018, 04:53 PM

Pretty crazy story for sure. They are out there no matter where you are. More people equals more crazies. I remember a few years ago a family from Oklahoma walked into our building and asked if they could park their large RV in our lot when the took the bus into NYC. On the weekend the offices are closed so we said sure, no problem. They were all excited about going there and seeing all the usual NYC sights. Then the older male said "We would like to go for a ride on the subway, we dont have them back home". We all laughed and said "If you go on the subway and get off at the wrong station you may not get back home to Oklahoma". They laughed and thought we were kidding....we really weren't.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:37 AM

That's why I keep a few throwing knives at the ready.

So I don't have to chase those eye pokers.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic