The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-09-2018, 07:39 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golffishny View Post
Still all theories and opinions. It's funny how if a theory is repeated often enough it becomes a belief, even when it can't be definitely proven. Then other theories and opinions are berated as nonsense. Kind of like which model guitars are best? Have a fun day.
Your post reminded me of an article from a few years back in Scientific American and the article's observation of the general public's perception of what is a theory. It is important to recognize and understand that theories and opinions are quite different from each other and not at all equivalent.

"Part of the problem is that the word "theory" means something very different in lay language than it does in science: A scientific theory is an explanation of some aspect of the natural world that has been substantiated through repeated experiments or testing. But to the average Jane or Joe, a theory is just an idea that lives in someone's head, rather than an explanation rooted in experiment and testing."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...science-words/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
A good theory is usually backed up with corroborative evidence; experimentally, observational, etc.

Theories that may be dismissed as 'nonsense' usually lack such evidence or in many cases appear to contradict the available evidence.
Well said...
Old 07-09-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Scientific theories are not simply opinions. They are thoroughly substantiated and documented explanations of our world.
Not really. Any honest scientist will admit to conjecture. We don't fully know what's up in the universe. I suspect in the end we will all slap our foreheads and say, "Oh yeah. So that was the thing!"
Old 07-09-2018, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
Not really. Any honest scientist will admit to conjecture. We don't fully know what's up in the universe. I suspect in the end we will all slap our foreheads and say, "Oh yeah. So that was the thing!"
Yes, really. No scientist equates conjecture with a scientific theory. Not even close. Scientific theories involve considerable research... conjecture does not.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:26 AM

Theory is theory. Nothing more and nothing less. Definitive is what we seek. Theory is conjecture as we struggle towards the final answer.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Scientific theories are based on repeated research, facts, empirical and observational data. They aren't guesses... they are substantiated with detail.

Jobe, we live in different worlds!

Another couple books I've read in the past that relate to this discussion...

...Origins, by the previously-mentioned Neil deGrasse Tryson and
...A Short History of Nearly Everything, by Bill Bryson.

Both great reads!

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-09-2018 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Added books
Old 07-09-2018, 08:37 AM
AGF Administrator

Relativity is a theory, but hardly conjecture. http://theconversation.com/scientifi...ust-work-73040
Old 07-09-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Theory is theory. Nothing more and nothing less. Definitive is what we seek. Theory is conjecture as we struggle towards the final answer.
Theory is not conjecture.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-09-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
The humble transistor owes it's existence to quantum theory. A lot of our modern world is based on the practical results of the theory.
It would be quite difficult to post here with a typewriter.

Not a bad result for "conjecture"
Old 07-09-2018, 09:07 AM

If a theory was a fact it would be stated as a fact. But no, it is simply a 'theory'. If you think science has all the answers then why does all the grant money fly around to clean up the rough edges? The best minds don't have all the answers. That is okay. We search. Don't believe everything you read. Be open to new discoveries. Theory? That doesn't cut it fully.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
If a theory was a fact it would be stated as a fact. But no, it is simply a 'theory'. If you think science has all the answers then why does all the grant money fly around to clean up the rough edges? The best minds don't have all the answers. That is okay. We search. Don't believe everything you read. Be open to new discoveries. Theory? That doesn't cut it fully.
Science doesn't claim to have all the answers. It just attempts to explain the world around us. How we use that knowledge is for society to decide.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited by Silurian; 07-09-2018 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-09-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
The humble transistor owes it's existence to quantum theory. A lot of our modern world is based on the practical results of the theory.
It would be quite difficult to post here with a typewriter.

Not a bad result for "conjecture"
I am not against 'theory'. I am stating that it is not the final determination of reality. Quantum is an interesting move forward. It has its' rewards. However, it still is not fully realized. We are still moving forward but don't think for a moment that we have got this thing nailed. The Theory of Everything is still up for grabs. I will keep an open mind.

Last edited by Jobe; 07-09-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Does anyone have any scientific ideas or theories as to how the universe and the earth and the world could have come into existence? I have no idea. It's beyond me.
Wonder no more good sir. This explains it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk
Old 07-09-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I am not against 'theory'. I am stating that it is not the final determination of reality. Quantum is an interesting move forward. It has its' rewards. However, it still is not fully realized. We are still moving forward but don't think for a moment that we have got this thing nailed. The Theory of Everything is still up for grabs. I will keep an open mind.
Still, a theory is not conjecture as you first stated. It is very far from it.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-09-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Basalt Beach posted this excerpt earlier:

"Part of the problem is that the word "theory" means something very different in lay language than it does in science: A scientific theory is an explanation of some aspect of the natural world that has been substantiated through repeated experiments or testing. But to the average Jane or Joe, a theory is just an idea that lives in someone's head, rather than an explanation rooted in experiment and testing."

It seems you're locked into the layman's definition of "theory" as just an "idea"...
Old 07-09-2018, 09:41 AM

Oops nevermind. Denny beat me to it...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic