The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-15-2018, 07:31 AM

Here ya go Fingertips

Check out Swiftlessons on youtube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VRbc17qEMbc

Particularly this one it’s pretty easy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sG3NzYPxAH4

Last edited by Blueshoes; 06-15-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:49 AM

I'm in the north burbs as well, so probably not too far from you. PM sent.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-15-2018, 10:04 AM

I agree, Justin Guitar is a great source for learning a pile of beginner songs. Used his stuff a lot! The other two sources I found to learn popular beginner level covers is "Mahalo Guitar Lessons" and "ThreeChordGuitar.com" . Found these folks do a great job teaching popular beginner songs on Youtube and highly recommend them..

Warren
Old 06-15-2018, 05:41 PM

Default Justin Guitar

Great guy who made it easy to understand. Been playing 5 years and owe him more than I could ever repay!!!
Old 06-15-2018, 07:42 PM

Default Strum Along

Rob Swift of Swiftlessons is very good. All his lessons begin with a full performance and then a comprehensive and easy to follow breakdown. He can sing like a champ too.

Also check out Munsonmusic. He has an endless catalog of easy tunes to strum along to as well as fingerpicking versions of the same tunes. It is charmingly basic and lo-fi and his singing is marginal but he'll have you whacking out tunes in no time.

Pat Hedderman
Old 04-07-2020, 12:37 PM

Default This is another Good one for that song

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
The first song I learned to play that was recognizable was "Wish you were here." It is the perfect beginner tune. Anybody can learn to play that classic riff even early on. The first time you do you will grin. It just feels cool.

There are a lot of video lessons on it out there but I thought these two by Marty Schwartz were pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzxMeQgtyYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgUI9M3egVM

The only thing about these I would say is that for the solo, while there are not a lot of bends on this, it was easier for me to slide them. Does not really require much of a change to the videos. Just, where he bends, slide up a couple frets and you are good.
This is the lesson that got me going on Wish You Were Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwVKH89k0jQ.

Steve Stine is a very good teacher and I just for some reason really connected with how he broke it down. I really wanted to learn this song and after watching and learning from this video I now play it all the time.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:30 PM

There are a bunch of talented people who are doing this on You Tube - Justin Guitar, Marty Schwartz, Guitar365 are some of my favorites.

With time and exploration you will find the ones you like best - the way I started was to search YouTube for the song title I wanted to learn. For example: "Sara Fleetwood Mac Guitar Lesson." You will get various results for each of these searches, but you will eventually find that you are landing on the higher-volume folks like Justin and Marty more than others. They create a ton of content, but I will pay attention to the lessons of many others if they are playing it well.

There are a bunch of good online teachers out there and an bunch of lousy ones. You will be able to tell the difference after a short time.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 04-07-2020, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

I have found Justin to be more clear and concise than Marty, but it could just be me! I started with his "It's Alright Mama" and "Three Little Birds" song lessons and felt pretty good about being able to play something!
Old 04-10-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWKitt View Post

Steve Stine is a very good teacher
His lesson on how to play "She Talks to Angels" in standard tuning is very good, IMO.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcamp View Post
Doesn’t get much easier than Simple Man
I assume you mean Lynyrd Skynyrd and not Charlie Daniels?
Old 04-23-2020, 08:46 AM

I really like this guy's lessons. His teaching style is great. If you choose to subscribe to his Patreon site, it's only $3/month (no affiliation).

https://www.youtube.com/user/playsongnotes

A couple easy songs on this page would be "Take Me Home Country Roads" and "Knocking on Heaven's Door."

Have fun!

Last edited by emtsteve; 04-23-2020 at 08:55 AM. Reason: added songs
Old 04-23-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
I really like this guy's lessons. His teaching style is great. If you choose to subscribe to his Patreon site, it's only $3/month (no affiliation).

https://www.youtube.com/user/playsongnotes
YES!
What I mostly like is how simple he makes it look to add some fills and bass runs, etc...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write