The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-13-2018, 08:31 AM

Toby...I feel the same about my H&D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1567.jpg (39.2 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1570.jpg (31.9 KB, 248 views)
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 06-13-2018, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

I'd say it's my Carruth 12-fret 000 (steel string). Great fit for playing solo fingerstyle arrangements, especially where supporting the melody while still being balanced is critical. I assume part of its ability comes from a luthier also skilled in classical guitars.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 06-13-2018, 08:52 AM

Something that is only touched on here is how the story of the guitar—how it came to you—often invests the guitar with a special kind of value, enhanced of course by the sound of it or the look of it. The very best guitar (at least in my memory) that I ever owned was a 1928 Martin OM 28 that John Fahey sold me when I was 16 years old. It was on the cover of his Album number six and was later stolen in a burglary. Each of the guitars I have now has some kind of narrative that goes with it, an origin story. None of them was just purchased at a guitar shop.

I once had a 1983 Martin HD28 that had belonged to a Canadian country music player, used in a hundred bars across the Canadian prairie. It had a poorly repaired headstock break, cigarette burns on the rosewood faceplate from butts parked under the strings, finish cracks like shattered glass across the top from going out of overheated bars into the Canadian winter, and so much arm-sweat damage on the lower bout that the herringbone was separating and the finish was permanently fogged. But it was the best D28 I have ever heard, bar none. I eventually gave it to my son.

When we have a guitar that was our father's or that we discovered in the closet of its elderly first owner, or that was hand made for us with wood we chose and built by someone of great skill, that story becomes part of what makes the guitar irreplaceable. And particularly with an older guitar, marked with playing wear or old repairs, wear that shows how long and hard it was played by someone who loved it, we experience its life before it came to us—the musical life that helped to make it the guitar that it is.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 06-13-2018, 09:02 AM

For me, I'd have to say my 1972 D35. I'd wanted a Martin all of my adult life. Set out to buy one in 1980 and was led astray by my first Alvarez Yairi which is now officially my daughter's.

A few years back I was killing time up the road and saw it hanging on the rack at the local mom-pop store. I picked it up and couldn't put it down. It was the first Martin I was compelled to pull the trigger on. No other Martin (or other guitar) has ever spoken to me the way that this one did. And that was before I found strings that matched even better. I pick up a new D35 and think to myself "pfffff".

My stepson has a 2003 D35 and my friend whom I play with occassional has a newer model (thinking 2011) and neither compare with mine in any category. Don't get me wrong, they're both nice. But that 40+ year old sound, the harmonics, the warmth, balance and ability to just make music musical, my '72 beats them all handily. It did have the bridge filled and saddles slots recut for split saddle to handle the '70's Martin intonation issues but is great now. I have two beautiful Taylors which I play regularly, but when I pick up my D35 I subconsciously ask myself why I even bought the Taylors in the first place... and I can never come back with an answer better than "I just wanted a Taylor". With the right offer I could sell either of my Taylors... But my Martin will be with me til the end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg martin_body.jpg (51.5 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg martin_back.jpg (22.5 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg martin_sideclose.jpg (39.3 KB, 235 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-13-2018, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Something that is only touched on here is how the story of the guitar—how it came to you—often invests the guitar with a special kind of value, enhanced of course by the sound of it or the look of it.
Here's my story:

My H&D was purchased used. Guess who it was owned by? Read on.

I discovered this used guitar at Lark St. Music in NJ. I asked the owner, Buzzy if he could come down on the price. He replied that it was on consignment but he'd be happy to call the owner and ask if they would take my offer. Five minutes later Buzzy comes back and says, 'The owner wanted to know if the buyer was a professional musician and when I said yes she said then give it to him at his price.' Boy, was I happy about that. Buzzy said that the owner would be in touch.

Two weeks later I received a letter in the mail from the owner. Take a look at the next picture. Here's what it said.

To Toby Walker,

I hope you get as much enjoyment from owning the Huss and Dalton MJC as I did. I found it to be a very versatile instrument, and especially enjoyed using it for my strange tunings - the cutaway helped immensely in certain cases. I hope it brings you many years of pleasure and musical inspiration.

With best wishes,

Mary Chapin Carpenter
June 8th, 2010.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Hi Toby…

It's my 1993 Olson Dreadnought, East Indian Rosewood/Cedar…

James signed it in November of '92, but competed and delivered it in May of 1993…it's difficult to shoot pics inside the particular spot in my guitar he signed!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 06-13-2018 at 09:40 AM. Reason: added Jame's signature, date, and serial number on the underside of the top…
Old 06-13-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Here's my story:

My H&D was purchased used. Guess who it was owned by? Read on.

I discovered this used guitar at Lark St. Music in NJ. I asked the owner, Buzzy if he could come down on the price. He replied that it was on consignment but he'd be happy to call the owner and ask if they would take my offer. Five minutes later Buzzy comes back and says, 'The owner wanted to know if the buyer was a professional musician and when I said yes she said then give it to him at his price.' Boy, was I happy about that. Buzzy said that the owner would be in touch.

Two weeks later I received a letter in the mail from the owner. Take a look at the next picture. Here's what it said.

To Toby Walker,

I hope you get as much enjoyment from owning the Huss and Dalton MJC as I did. I found it to be a very versatile instrument, and especially enjoyed using it for my strange tunings - the cutaway helped immensely in certain cases. I hope it brings you many years of pleasure and musical inspiration.

With best wishes,

Mary Chapin Carpenter

June 8th, 2010.

Very cool. She’s a great artist.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:49 AM

I have played a lot of very nice guitars over the years.
I decided that there is no "Holy Grail" for me.
There will always be a guitar that is the best at the time.

When I add up cost + desire + need+ sound, I am very happy with two great guitars that I already own.
My 1981 Martin D-35 and my 2005 Guild D-55 are all the guitar that I will ever need.
Other guitars have come and gone but these guitars stay with me.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:56 AM

For me, right now it's my '69 Martin 00-18 that I bought a few weeks ago. The shop I was in had a selection of nice guitars - Collings, Huss & Dalton, Goodall, Martin, Taylor, Waterloo, but I just kept coming back to this well worn 00-18. I knew I'd kick myself later on if I walked out of the shop without it. Certainly for myself and my needs, nothing compares to this wee guitar.

Regarding stories attached to guitars contributing to why we revere particular instruments, the last guitar I felt this way about was a very sweet '57 Gibson J-50 that I got in a pawn shop for $180 back in 1999. I was out of work and had arrived early for a job interview at a thrift store nearby. I was looking in the window of the pawn shop killing time when I saw the J-50. The price tag was slipped through the strings on the neck so I assumed that one of the strings was obscuring another number, expecting the guitar to cost more, but when I asked the guy in the shop if I could play it he got it out of the window and it was indeed $180, with original case no less! It played and sounded fantastic, but all I had in my wallet (and to my name!) was $10. I asked the guy if I could put $10 down on it, and pay the remaining $170 off in two weeks time and he said "Yes, but only if you play me another song because you play so beautifully..." Needless to say I obliged with a song, and still managed to make it over to my job interview in time! Got the job, and a second job later that week, and paid the guitar off as promised.

That J-50 played many shows, toured around the country with me, flew back and forth to Ireland and the UK at least 4 times. I regrettably sold it to fund a move back to Ireland in 2006. Definitely kick myself over that decision.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00-18.jpg (38.1 KB, 215 views)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

I have not yet met my 'nothing compares to you' guitar. I've played some that have been seriously great tone monsters but in many of those cases they were at stores and had high-end price tags that precluded me from an actual purchase. And it's difficult to say from a single sitting/playing session in a store whether it would have continued to be 'the one'.

Those guitars were, in no particular order:

Santa Cruz Custom F in Italian spruce over Cocobolo
Goodall mini jumbo in Koa
Froggy Bottom H14 Brazilian

I did own briefly a Huss & Dalton MJC in cedar over EIR that was something special so I understand what Toby see's in his.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:39 AM

my gibson chet atkins CE. solid body electric with nylon strings and piezo pickup.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-13-2018, 10:57 AM

Is this a different way of asking what is your favorite guitar you've played?
Old 06-13-2018, 11:12 AM

It would have to be my 1938 Gibson L5.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Is this a different way of asking what is your favorite guitar you've played?
Maybe, but I think the original question can be taken two ways:

"nothing compares with this" great guitar

OR

"nothing compares with this" crap guitar!

I've played some low-end instruments that barely qualified. I mean they were guitar-shaped and had strings but they were essentially expensive firewood. The point being that "nothing compared to them" (except maybe actual firewood).

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Every guitar I own serves a purpose. All are impressive in their own way and each one has a unique voice or feel to it.

Of the guitars I own, only one would qualify as a "nothing compares" but only because it was a custom order to my specifications. It's my new Elijah Jewel dread with sinker redwood and walnut. It's different enough from most guitars so that it is unique.

20180608_225822.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion