The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-04-2018, 06:50 PM

Default New Tuning App

I've forgotten who told me that I should try out this tuning app but there was a free version. I had previously purchased the Peterson app and the sweetened tuning package. I think the two parts cost me something like $12.

So I came across this app Airyware. I downloaded it for free and I'm not sure if it's got a trial period or what, but I think they have a paid app for something like $4. I have to tell you, I like it better than the Peterson.

I'm told that it takes into account some sonic oddities because it doesn't exactly match my other tuners, but when I'm done my guitar is in tune and sounds in tune. I'm not sure if it's just the trial version but it comes with a lot of tuning options. They have a version of sweetened tuning. You can change the frequencies of each note to create your own custom sweetening. It has so much stuff loaded in that if I accidentally hit the wrong button it will take me to a page with so many customizable options. Too advanced for me right now, but it's there.

I know it's available for iPhone and Android... I think it's available on the PC. Not sure about the Mac. Just thought I'd put it out there for those looking for a very good cheap tuning app for those who really like precise tuning.

JMO
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-04-2018, 08:18 PM

Man... thanks for sharing. I will definitely have to check that out.

Does anyone else use Guitar Tuna? I use it pretty much exclusively.. I've tried 3 or 4 different ones, including a couple generic no-names, a Martin branded one, and I cant remember what else, but the Guitar Tuna app is the only one that I consider the fidelity to be accurate, at least on my guitar(s). Granted I haven't tried a whole bunch, I'm sure there might be better, but it's totally free for the base version which I enjoyed for probably a whole year or two, then earlier this year I bit the bullet and paid like $3.99 and got access to various open tunings, drop tunings, weird stuff I've never heard of... I think there's one more package left that I didn't buy, but it has ukelele tunings and other stuff I've never heard of (LOL.) Just curious if anyone else has tried it, because I personally like it and it's my favorite tuning app. Modest but relatively accurate. I would like to be able to dial in a little more, because sometimes I still have to tweak it, even after it registers "in tune".

my $.02. thanks for sharing.

Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 06-04-2018, 08:21 PM

Appreciate the heads up. it says it has a trial version but it'll keep working with the trial version as long as one wants, but expect a reminder to pop up every so often.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
Man... thanks for sharing. I will definitely have to check that out.

Does anyone else use Guitar Tuna? I use it pretty much exclusively.. I've tried 3 or 4 different ones, including a couple generic no-names, a Martin branded one, and I cant remember what else, but the Guitar Tuna app is the only one that I consider the fidelity to be accurate, at least on my guitar(s). Granted I haven't tried a whole bunch, I'm sure there might be better, but it's totally free for the base version which I enjoyed for probably a whole year or two, then earlier this year I bit the bullet and paid like $3.99 and got access to various open tunings, drop tunings, weird stuff I've never heard of... I think there's one more package left that I didn't buy, but it has ukelele tunings and other stuff I've never heard of (LOL.) Just curious if anyone else has tried it, because I personally like it and it's my favorite tuning app. Modest but relatively accurate. I would like to be able to dial in a little more, because sometimes I still have to tweak it, even after it registers "in tune".

my $.02. thanks for sharing.

Scott
I use GuitarTuna as well and second your positive review. When I'm at home it's pretty much the only tuner I use. I've found it to be very accurate and while I only use the free version, it looks like the 3.99 version to get additional access seems pretty solid.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
Does anyone else use Guitar Tuna? I use it pretty much exclusively.
When I got my first smart phone a few years ago I tried using several apps each for tuners and chord finders.

My take away after a few years of usage is that the Guitar Tuna is not only the most user friendly tuner, but also comes with a great chord finder built in already.

One app, two functions, easy to use and free.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 06-05-2018, 05:09 AM

Just put it on my phone and I really like it. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-05-2018, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

I didn't have a tuner app on my phone so I just downloaded both Airyware and Guitar Tuna to try.

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-05-2018, 07:20 AM

Pitchlab is another useful tuning app and works great. It has the same accuracy as the Polytune clipon, +/-0.5 cents accuracy, so much better than Snarks, etc., but less sensitive than the Peterson. Sometimes that's a good thing.

Polytune has found the sweet spot for normal tuning needs of most players, I think. I use it at home but only travel with my phone.

Pitchlab does not have a background cancelling feature thought like the Airyware (I don't think.) I haven't yet compared these two for ease of use.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:00 AM

I downloaded Pitchlab for free on my phone. It seems to be accurate and very sensitive. My question is when do you determine a string is in tune? When I strike the string, the pitch swings to very sharp, then it decays to what I think is in tune then continues to decay to a frequency below in tune. I'm guessing the string should be tuned after the initial strike, but the frequency is very dynamic and does not stay steady state for very long.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:15 AM

I use Fender Tune and found it to be quite accurate and very east to use. It also gives you lots of tuning options (open, step up/down, etc)

after tuning with it, I check my tuning with harmonics and it's always right on the money.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:33 PM

I've been happily using Guitar Tuna for awhile now. My Snark is feeling left out.

Jim
Old 06-05-2018, 07:16 PM

I have several tuning apps...
Peterson iStrobosoft
Clear Tune
Boss Tuner
Fine Tuner
MusiciansKit
Guitar Tuner
Guitar Tuna
DoubleTune
AccuTune
Pitchlab
...and of course Airyware

I used Guitar Tuna and think it's a very good tuner for it's simplicity. What I like about Airyware is that it's similar in many respects to the Peterson, but come stock with a lot of advanced features that you typically don't get in typical tuning apps, so I thought I'd share it.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-06-2018, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

Another Guitar Tuna fan. I don't use it very often, but it's awful handy for those times when you're out and don't keep a tuner in your pocket

I'll certainly try Airyware. Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-06-2018, 07:00 AM

I really like the new version of the Peterson tuner. I use the sweetener setting for acoustic guitar, mandolin, and banjo and it's dead on. I don't have to use my ear to tweak the tuning at all. That's great in situations where you can't hear yourself (tuning on the fly while you're playing).
Old 06-06-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbluegrass View Post
I really like the new version of the Peterson tuner. I use the sweetener setting for acoustic guitar, mandolin, and banjo and it's dead on. I don't have to use my ear to tweak the tuning at all. That's great in situations where you can't hear yourself (tuning on the fly while you're playing).
Yeah, the Peterson app is pretty cool. I did an experiment last night comparing different tuners, but I think it deserves a new thread.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion