The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
What kind of pickup are you using with it?
It is the stock LR Baggs Active system in my McPherson. It is not the Anthem with an internal mic, just the USP and internal Pre-amp.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:06 PM

You guys inspired me to experiment more with the Tonedexter. Today I tried various mic positions and the results were to say the least interesting.
Even the Baggs Session VTC pickup which on the Tonedexter website is not a good match with TD, turned out to be more than adequate.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:59 PM

I am finding that mic placement is the key. I have sometimes trained with a good-sounding placement and gotten a hollow and unacceptable wavemap sound, then moved the mic a few inches and gotten a great sound.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-09-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
I am finding that mic placement is the key. I have sometimes trained with a good-sounding placement and gotten a hollow and unacceptable wavemap sound, then moved the mic a few inches and gotten a great sound.
Mic placement IS key! Fortunately, I made 20 profiles with three different mics and placements. My favorites were the Neumann KM185 up top and in the arc.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:30 AM

FIRST GIG WITH THE TONEDEXTER:

Amazing.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
FIRST GIG WITH THE TONEDEXTER:

Amazing.
What pickup did you use it with? Sorry, I know you probably mentioned it but I went back a few pages and couldn't find any info. I am tempted to either put a Matrix back in or get the K&K.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
What pickup did you use it with? Sorry, I know you probably mentioned it but I went back a few pages and couldn't find any info. I am tempted to either put a Matrix back in or get the K&K.
Last he posted, it was a "Fishman Prefix Premium Blend pickup that has a piezo and an internal mic on the gooseneck."

Unless you don't like the SBT experience (picks up body vibrations as well as the string and top vibrations), I would highly recommend the K+K.

(I can still remember when I was forced to try K+K because my UST gave up the ghost. I was frustrated at having to get a new saddle, and resolved to try and ditch anything that would require me to put material under the saddle. When I first heard the K+K it was better than my previous system of internal mic + UST.)

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-09-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
No worries. Fishman Prefix Premium Blend in both guitars.

I also have a K&K as a backup in my J45. Personally, I don't like it as much as the Fishman, but it's nice to have as a backup.

I guess none of this matters anymore because of the Tonedexter, but I need EQ controls for when I use the octave pedal for bass lines. Even without the Tonedexter, I can get a better sound out of the Fishman.

I run my guitars through a Red Eye Pre which is needed for the K&K. I didn't like it on its own.

Everything on my board runs through the Red Eye loop. I ran the Tonedexter before the Red Eye ( for now ) because I didn't feel like tearing my board apart.

This is an old pic of my current board. I'll probably reconfigure with the Tonedexter.

Last edited by The Kid!; 06-09-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:42 PM

Quick review of the Tonedexter:

This thing is a game changer. I can't believe how good my guitars sound!

Guitars:

2016 Gibson J45 Standard with a Fishman Prefix Premium Blend
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom with a Fishman Prefix Premium Blend

Mics Used: Neumann KM185, AKG 414, Telefunken (???)

10 wave maps per guitar, with 3 mics, various positions.

Favorite combination: J45 / KM185 / Up Top / 6" & 12"

I like the mix on the TD to be either all mic or the least amount of pickup mixed in.

Interestingly enough, the Washburn sounded best on my favorite J45 profile. Maybe it works because it is the same pickup. The J45 sounds best on that profile too.

I loop, and I loop percussion sounds via the internal mic blend on my guitar pickup. For that, I put the Tonedexter in bypass mode, loop the percussion into the track, turn the pickup back to all piezo, and then turn the Tonedexter back on to lay the chordal parts.

I keep the Tonedexter on with the octave pedal to make the bass lines and they actually sound better with the Tonedexter on. It's only slightly more involved than it was before, and everything sounds better, but without any of the occasional feedback issues I had with the mic blend on my pickup.

The only drawback is that I don't get the percussive sounds that I used to get by always having the mic on, but I can live without it. I could split the pickup signal to stereo, but I need the internal mic to go through my looper to record the percussion.

Even lead lines up the neck sound great and they USED to show the limitations of the piezo pickup...

Here's a pre-Tonedexter clip from last weekend. One of the singers that I work with stopped through and sang on this one.

Keep in mind that this isn't an optimal recording situation. I'm behind the mains with no monitor pointed at the ipad mic. I'm more than off axis,... I'm BEHIND the speakers.

THIS VIDEO CLIP IS BEFORE I HAD THE TONEDEXTER.

It just shows that I loop percussion sounds with the internal guitar mic. You can hear the bass line better through headphones. Everything is looped live (nothing is pre-recorded) into a Boomerang III.

I love that the pickup controls still work and that you can tweak even further on the mixing board. Starting out with an incredible sound makes everything far easier. I am impressed.

Advice:

Try as many mics and mic positions as possible. You might be surprised at what a difference a few inches makes. TAKE NOTES on what you did!

Delete what you don't like and go back another day with a better idea of what works for your specific guitar and pickup.

I'm going back to the studio to try an SM81 and some others that weren't available that day. I want to get a bunch of profiles that I love.

Some of the ones I got sound better solo, and some sound better in a mix other instruments. I'm glad that I took the time to get 20 profiles.

I wish I was a better writer. I can't accurately express what the Tonedexter does in words. Just get one. You won't be sorry.

Disclosure: No affiliation with the cats that made this pedal. Just a satisfied customer.

Last edited by The Kid!; 06-09-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:17 PM

Relly great, Kid!
Have you ever thought of putting the looper on an aux send of the mixer and send it back to the aux return, or even better, a mixer channel?

So both the Dexter and the mic signal to seperated mixer channel, turning up a post fader aux (post mute) on both channals, sending the aux out to the loopers input and the loopers out to another channel of the mixer or just the aux in if you don't need any EQ or effects for the looper.

I think then you can just unmute the mic channel for the percussion loop and press the mute button again to cancel the mic. You could even try to find a footswitch for the mic signal before the mixer.
You just have to try if the channel aux send is after the mute switch on your mixer.

Just a thought.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:36 PM

Sorry, Kid,
I just saw you have a Zed10 mixer that only has 1 fx and 1 pre aux send and no mute switch. So its not that easy.
But maybe you can get the same result with the listen/monitor bus. I'm not sure.

Or just take an A/B box and select either the pickup or the mic output for the looper with one single step on a footswitch.

Last edited by Peter Z; 06-10-2018 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
Sorry, Kid,
I just saw you have a Zed10 mixer that only has 1 fx and 1 pre aux send and no mute switch. So its not that easy.
But maybe you can get the same result with the listen/monitor bus. I'm not sure.

Or just take an A/B box and select either the pickup or the mic output for the looper with one single step on a footswitch.
I have a little Lehle a/b. Would that work?

I’m not sure how it would work. I need the mic into the Boomerang III looper to lay percussion, but need to take it out for when the Tonedexter is engaged. All I can think of is putting the Tonedexter in the loop of the a/b box which would make it slightly easier to take the Tonedexter out of the mix. Holding down the button for bypass isn’t too hard at the moment.

I might build a secondary board with the Tonedexter and the a/b to keep them connected and powered up together.

Last edited by The Kid!; 06-10-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:09 PM

I think it should work.
Take an insert cable plug the TRS side (the 'stereo' plug) into your guitar. On the other end of the cable you have 2 TS plugs, one with the pickup signal, the other with the mic signal.

Plug the pickup signal into the ToneDexter and the output of the ToneDexter into the Lehle A input.
Plug the mic signal into the Lehle B input.
Then connect the Lehle output to your looper and the looper output to your mixer (channel 1 as I have learned from your pics).

Then you can switch between pickup and mic with one step. You can select what shall be looped and everything finds its way to the mixer.

Sorry if that sounds complicated. It's not so easy for me to describe it with my non-native english.
In fact it's very simple.

BTW: with the Lehle you have one of the best switchers you can buy!
Old 06-10-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
I think it should work.
Take an insert cable plug the TRS side (the 'stereo' plug) into your guitar. On the other end of the cable you have 2 TS plugs, one with the pickup signal, the other with the mic signal.

Plug the pickup signal into the ToneDexter and the output of the ToneDexter into the Lehle A input.
Plug the mic signal into the Lehle B input.
Then connect the Lehle output to your looper and the looper output to your mixer (channel 1 as I have learned from your pics).

Then you can switch between pickup and mic with one step. You can select what shall be looped and everything finds its way to the mixer.

Sorry if that sounds complicated. It's not so easy for me to describe it with my non-native english.
In fact it's very simple.

BTW: with the Lehle you have one of the best switchers you can buy!
Nice. I didn’t realize that I could use two inputs into one output. This solves my issue! Thank you so much.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:35 PM

Please check if your Lehle is 2 in 1 out or 1 in and 2 out.
Some of this boxes can be used in both direction but I think not the Lehle.
What is the correct name of your Lehle?
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification