The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-26-2012, 04:43 PM

Default Zoom H1 vs Tascam DR-05

Hi,

I'm looking for a decent portable recording device that is easy to use, can hook up to my PC for uploading the recordings and not exceed $100. I'm going to be using this for recording some sessions with my teacher and then recording myself playing the guitar.

I did some research and see these two come up a lot as good buys for the $100 and under recorders. I looked at both and they seam to be what I'm looking for. I just wanted to know if one or the other has some feature that makes it the better buy, or if they are both good and just comes down to personal preference for control layout and such?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...handy-recorder

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...state-recorder

I'll most likely be going to a local store to buy one of these tomorrow after work (both available near). So, any information that might sway me in either direction would be appreciated.

Thanks
Wasper

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 07-26-2012, 08:55 PM

Default STOP! Get this one:

Went through the same exercise last week, did a lot of research and found a Tascam DR-07 MKII price reduced on Amazon it was under a hundred bucks and is a definite upgrade from the models you are looking at.

Between the ones you mentioned get the Tascam, it has a better layout and the buttons have a more positive feel and response (click).

Good luck!

Last edited by GregEL; 07-26-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:37 AM

I have found the H1 to have very nice sound, be great with batteries (just one) and to be able to pick up several voices well, in a large room. The downside is that it feels brittle, and causes people to worry about breaking the door off for the mini sd card.

I don't own the Tascam but in doing research, the 07 MK2 seems to have a lot of nice features, including doing a bit of "multi track" recording: I think it does two tracks, which for someone laying down an idea, is nice.

The reviews are all high but with the price of the DR 07mk2 coming down to near the $100 mark, it seems like a great buy. Reviewers say it is intuitive and seems to have a less 'brittle' feel to the plastic.

I did a lot of reading up on the Tascams. Reading the manuals is a big help.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Fwiw ... I don't know anything about this recorder, but I saw it yesterday online for under $50

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PR10rec

(musicians "fiend" has it lised for $129)
Old 07-30-2012, 08:41 AM

Jim,

we have tried a few of those at work...they are fine for recording an interview for later transcription or proof in court, but they don't do well for podcasts or music.

For under $50, companies use them for HR disputes, interviews, and even some lectures, but they must be very close to the speaker in order to get a decent recording.

The Tascam DR 07 mk 2 seems much nicer for music, just as the H1 is nice, but the mk2 may have more features for the musician.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregEL View Post
Went through the same exercise last week, did a lot of research and found a Tascam DR-07 MKII price reduced on Amazon it was under a hundred bucks and is a definite upgrade from the models you are looking at.

Between the ones you mentioned get the Tascam, it has a better layout and the buttons have a more positive feel and response (click).

Good luck!
If you go to Tascam website, you can print out a $10 rebate on the Dr 07 MKii (unless you bought it used). Under $100 is a great price and it has lots of nice reviews.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:48 PM

To the OP:

So, what'd ya get?
Old 08-03-2012, 11:33 AM

By the way, with some of the online dealers, there is price match but I found that Guitar Center beats best price...

The Tascam DP 07 mk2 has been marked down to $118 at a few sites, $109 at another, and Guitar Center beating the best online price: $105, even though it is listed there at $149. At that price, it rivals the nice H1.

Having time on my hands during vacation to record and web surf is a wee bit dangerous...but a lot of fun.

as to my horrific percussion bongos, and loud egg shakers, we have added a triangle, and a tambourine. Recording them is challenging as some of them are really loud.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregEL View Post
To the OP:

So, what'd ya get?
Oops!

I forgot to update. I ended up buying the Tascam DR-05.

I played with both the DR-05 and Zoom H1 for a while in Guitar Center. The salesman was very helpful and took a couple out so I could try them and compare them, he spent a good chunk of time with me.

The Tascam was much easier to navigate, seamed to respond faster to button pushes, booted up and shut down faster and felt, overall, more sturdy. The sound quality between the two were about equal, but the Tascam just was a step up in features, ease of use and build quality in my opinion.

I have used it already for my last guitar lesson to record my teacher playing the piece I am currently working on. The recording sounded great (although I have to play with the mic sensitivity a bit more, as I distinctly heard a car driving by in the rain outside her window during the recording, lol).

I will try to record something and get it posted.. but since I'm really just a beginner, I can't promise anything I record would be worth listening to, lol!

Thanks for the responses

Quintilian
Old 08-03-2012, 02:03 PM

One advantage to the Zoom is the ability to use it as an audio interface with ASIO support. But that's not necessarily something everyone needs or wants.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-04-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post

I will try to record something and get it posted.. but since I'm really just a beginner, I can't promise anything I record would be worth listening to, lol!
Here is a quick recording.. failed recording,lol... still have some adjustments to make as the sound is recording to softly. I guess I'll have to actually read the manual, lol

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=261059

Quintilian
Old 08-04-2012, 09:42 AM

It sounds really nice.

It is amazing that such an entry level recorder is so nice.

You have a nice playing touch, too.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:15 AM

I picked up a Tascam DR-05 today at Guitar Center for $49 as one of their
Labor Day doorbuster sale items. The salesman said at that price they will be gone by dinner time. I believe him; great price!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD