The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-11-2019, 08:04 AM

Default Zoom R8 Question

I just got an AT2020 that needs phantom power
According to the manual for the Zoom, Phantom power will be supplied to inputs one and Two
Does that mean I can't use a Dynamic mic like an SM57 and the AT2020 at the same time?
Or is the Phantom power on a un-used connector for Dynamic mic's?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

I have a Zoom H5 and the menu allows you to apply phantom power to each mic individually or to both.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have a Zoom H5 and the menu allows you to apply phantom power to each mic individually or to both.
The manual says it turns it on for both inputs, I'll look the manual over closer to see maybe internal or externally i can shut one off, or buy another condenser mic lol
Old 01-11-2019, 09:14 AM

I have an R8 too. When activated, the phantom power goes to both mic inputs, but the phantom power will not affect dynamic mics like the SM57. So, you can use your SM57 without damage to the mic or deterioration of recorded sound.

Nowadays, lots of recorders supply phantom power to both channels when the PP switch is activated.

As I understand it, there is a chance phantom power could damage a ribbon mic.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:16 AM

Phantom power will not normally damage a dynamic mic. Here's some further reading:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/ph...ic-mics-again/

I've plugged dynamics into my R24 (phantom power on) with absolutely no ill effects.

FYI, "modern" ribbons that have built-in circuitry won't be damaged by phantom power.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:07 AM

Not a problem with any dynamic mic. Phantom power can destroy ribbon mics, though.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I just got an AT2020 that needs phantom power
According to the manual for the Zoom, Phantom power will be supplied to inputs one and Two
Does that mean I can't use a Dynamic mic like an SM57 and the AT2020 at the same time?
Hi CASD57

You CAN most definitely use an SM-57 and AT-2020 at the same time with the phantom power on. Phantom power is only dangerous to ribbon mics. And when exploring mics, I've never seen a ribbon mic that was not clearly marked with the word RIBBON in either it's name of product description.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-12-2019, 06:11 PM

ARG!

There's so much misinformation about ribbons that I hate to see this parroted.

The ONLY ribbons that are sensitive to phantom power are the "original" ribbon designs that did not have FET front ends, transformers, or built-in preamps.
If your "ribbon" is of the vintage variety you're most likely a LOT higher up the food chain than an R8!

If you DO have a ribbon and you're remotely concerned about this, simply contact the manufacturer and ask if phantom power can harm your particular ribbon.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
ARG!

There's so much misinformation about ribbons that I hate to see this parroted.

The ONLY ribbons that are sensitive to phantom power are the "original" ribbon designs that did not have FET front ends, transformers, or built-in preamps.

If your "ribbon" is of the vintage variety you're most likely a LOT higher up the food chain than an R8!

If you DO have a ribbon and you're remotely concerned about this, simply contact the manufacturer and ask if phantom power can harm your particular ribbon.
Nope, no ribbon, but my AT2020 came and im having fun with that today

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD