The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2019, 01:58 PM
Guest 33123

Default shout out to Weston Instruments in Ottawa

I brought in my beloved 2008 Martin 000-28VS for a full refret to Weston Instruments here in Ottawa. They did an absolutely immaculate job. Jescar EVO frets are beautifully dressed, nut is gorgeous and the setup is perfect! Honestly I couldn't be happier. AND Ian and staff are a pleasure to deal with. They will be getting all of my business from this point on. Great job guys!
Old 02-26-2019, 02:13 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Thanks for the lead, Doug. Didn’t know about them. They’re just 5 min. from where I just moved to. I’ll be giving them my future business. I’ve been dealing with Lauzon Music in Westboro for quite some time and have always been happy, but I’m open to trying someone who comes well-referred and is so close by.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:24 PM

Fully agreed. I had my Martin 12 string repaired by Ian as it had a small but concerning crack on the side. He also made me a compensated bone saddle and set up the guitar while at it. All around terrific work. However, it takes a while so you might be without your guitar for some time as he is very VERY busy and has often stopped taking new orders due to backlog.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:11 PM
Guest 33123

It only took them 2 weeks turn around time to do the refret but I had to wait about a month before a spot opened up so I could drop it off. They are super busy.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:21 PM

What part of town are they? I don't live far from Lauzon's and Brian Dubbledam's shop near Somerset St. but I am also open to new places.

Thanks!

p.s.

Lauzon's is in "Wellington West" since it's on Wellington Street. Westboro starts after Island Park Drive on Richmond Rd. Also in order to live in Westboro it's mandatory to have a kayak on the roof of your SUV.

Edit: Google is my friend. I see he is located in Kanata. Way too far for me to travel via OC Transpo.

Last edited by bluesfreek; 02-26-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:36 PM
Guest 33123

I used to live in Westboro 20 years ago or so. Sure has changed.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
I used to live in Westboro 20 years ago or so. Sure has changed.
Oh yeah...haha! I was in a band that used to play the old Kingsway Tavern back in the mid-80's when it was a biker bar. Now it's "The Works" burger place. There also used to be a strip club near by. And of course "Puzzles" and the "Newport" which closed a few years back. It's really changed a lot. I miss the old RetroTown Music. He he used to have some cool stuff there.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:42 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
I brought in my beloved 2008 Martin 000-28VS for a full refret to Weston Instruments here in Ottawa. They did an absolutely immaculate job. Jescar EVO frets are beautifully dressed, nut is gorgeous and the setup is perfect! Honestly I couldn't be happier. AND Ian and staff are a pleasure to deal with. They will be getting all of my business from this point on. Great job guys!
Doug...EVO's are great! You'll never need another set of frets on that Martin
Old 02-26-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Doug...EVO's are great! You'll never need another set of frets on that Martin
Yes and apparently they have a Plek machine there too.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:55 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfreek View Post
What part of town are they? I don't live far from Lauzon's and Brian Dubbledam's shop near Somerset St. but I am also open to new places.

Thanks!

p.s.

Lauzon's is in "Wellington West" since it's on Wellington Street. Westboro starts after Island Park Drive on Richmond Rd. Also in order to live in Westboro it's mandatory to have a kayak on the roof of your SUV.

Edit: Google is my friend. I see he is located in Kanata. Way too far for me to travel via OC Transpo.
Haha, kinda true. According to Wikipedia, Hintonburg extends west to either Holland or Island Park...guess it depends on who you ask. It makes sense that it would be Island Park because that’s where Wellington St. changes to Richmond Road. If Holland is the west boundary, then the area between Hintonburg and Westboro is Elmdale. So, Wellington West is known as the shopping strip within Hintonburg/Elmdale. I spent my teen years (late ‘60s-mid-70s) living off of Churchill (Westboro), halfway between Richmond and Carling. Bombing around the streets of the area back then, it was all Westboro to me. Great memories!

Last edited by Acousticado; 02-26-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Haha, kinda true. According to Wikipedia, Hintonburg extends west to either Holland or Island Park...guess it depends on who you ask. It makes sense that it would be Island Park because that’s where Wellington St. changes to Richmond Road. If Holland is the west boundary, then the area between Hintonburg and Westboro is Elmdale. So, Wellington West is known as the shopping strip within Hintonburg/Elmdale. I spent my teen years living off of Churchill (Westboro), halfway between Richmond and Carling. Bombing around the streets of the area back then, it was all Westboro to me. Great memories!
You are correct! A lot of folks think that Hintonburg all the way up to Churchill is "Westboro". I remember Westboro in the mid-70's as the end of the line for the #2 bus. I took my very first guitar lessons from a young guy who lived in Westboro in 1975.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:18 PM

Yeah, Westboro sure is “upscale” now. Full of rich yuppies and even richer retirees. They are the ones who didn’t already have a place in the Glebe. Some think they’re hippies but they are anything but. If you want real hippies, you go to the MacDonalds Corners & Elphin area and you’re right back in the 60s - except, everybody is old.

Anyway, sure miss Newport pizza and the wacky but fun Elvis Sighting Society.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:20 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfreek View Post
You are correct! A lot of folks think that Hintonburg all the way up to Churchill is "Westboro". I remember Westboro in the mid-70's as the end of the line for the #2 bus. I took my very first guitar lessons from a young guy who lived in Westboro in 1975.
True. I pretty much knew the breakdowns back then, including Mechanicsville to the east (to Bayswater) and those to the west to where Richmond meets Carling. All that area was my stomping ground. Most of my friends were in the Westboro sector, so that’s how we tended to refer to the entire area.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:23 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Yeah, Westboro sure is “upscale” now. Full of rich yuppies and even richer retirees. They are the ones who didn’t already have a place in the Glebe. Some think they’re hippies but they are anything but. If you want real hippies, you go to the MacDonalds Corners & Elphin area and you’re right back in the 60s - except, everybody is old.

Anyway, sure miss Newport pizza and the wacky but fun Elvis Sighting Society.
Yep, Newport was great at the Richmond/Churchill location. Still is at Scott/Churchill. I continue to frequent there on occasion.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
In the past few years I have read a number of posts on another forum that were very negative about musical suppliers in the Ottawa area . So it's good to see a positive one come from that area. And I am sure Weston Instruments is glad to see you happy with their work and so pleased you took the time to tell us.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion