The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2019, 02:44 PM

Default Juan Estruch Guitars

Anyone have any info on these guitars? I have one that was my fathers, from the 70’s I believe. I don’t play it and don’t have any idea as to the value but I’d like to sell it. Seems like a well made guitar but I’m just not into classical guitars, I prefer Tele’s. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:06 PM

I owned a Guitarras Estruch that I lucked into at a garage sale in the late 1980’s. I paid next to nothing for mine, but my British friend John Pearse told me it was worth two or three hundred dollars then.

What John told me was that the Estruch guitars were built in fairly large numbers for the period, which he said was the 1960’s, not the 70’s. The one I had was all solid wood, with a spruce top and Indian rosewood back and sides.

My understanding is that they were built in an assembly line setting in Spain and were marketed in Europe rather than in North America. I do know that the one I had was the only one I’ve ever seen.

The fit and finish on it were kind of rough compared to the classical guitars that Yamaha and other Asian manufacturers were soon making - the fret ends on mine were a bit jagged and the glue joints inside the body cavity were not immaculate. That’s actually a reflection of the type of workmanship most guitars built in Spain had back then and not an indication of inferior quality: that’s just how most Spanish guitar builders operated back then.

But that less polished workmanship combined with the overall lack of brand recognition for Estruch guitars in North America means that it’s not worth a great deal in the used guitar market. Those instruments were an attempt to produce good-sounding guitars from good materials at a reasonable price for the period, but they were overtaken by a rapid increase in quality by the Asian manufacturers.

Short version: it’s worth whatever you can get for it. You might try pricing it around $450 and see if you get any takers, but it’s not a sought after brand of guitars.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-25-2019, 05:40 PM

Thanks man, mine has a crack, looks like it’s mainly in the finish, definitely not all the way through the body and the bridge might be separating a bit from the body. I listed it in CL at $300 and somebody’s interested. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t selling a $10,000 guitar for $300.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:23 PM

No, it's not worth $10,000! You've got it priced about right, given the issues that it has. The one I had didn't have any cracks but its finish was a bit ratty. I think I sold it for $275 - the guy that bought it from me was a surveyor who wanted an inexpensive guitar to take with him when he was out in the Bush doing his surveying work in remote Alaskan regions.

whm
Old 02-25-2019, 11:32 PM

Awesome, thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion