The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2019, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
I hear you, and I have no hints. If you learn to relax and go with the flow in Celtic DADGAD, please let me know how you did it.

And yeah, I also bought a guitar for this express purpose.
I've got some books and I really want to learn some tunes as this music is one of the few styles that really 'speaks' to me any more. The melodies of the Irish and Scottish folk tunes are some of the most beautiful ever written IMHO.

What guitar did you buy?
Old 02-25-2019, 10:23 AM

I'd love to be able to play slide on my National. I'm predominantly a finger picker, a la Paul Simon, James Taylor etc but have learned a few chord melody solo jazz standards. Love jazz but will never sound like a jazz guitarist. A little bit of electric and a dabble here and there with this and that.

My problem is whenever I start looking at exploring other areas I start feeling guilty that I should be spending the time perfecting what I'm already quite good at to keep improving. I'm only ever really going to be a finger style guitarist.

But I love my National...and the few notes I can play, sound stunning!
Old 02-25-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post

What guitar did you buy?
A big Lowden. It's full of harps and pipes and ready to go. It wants to turn me into a fingerstylist who plays beautiful tunes.

I am not worthy.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:25 AM

Someday, I am going to learn to play the pedal steel guitar. It is my favourite instrument to listen too and just sounds so beautiful in the hands of a master player.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Flamenco...but it's a total commitment, lifelong, really.

I have too much respect for the music to half-wit it.
Me too.

I've had the guitar and I began learning the style a year ago, but it's been in fits and starts...I haven't accomplished a lot yet, mostly due to time restraints.

My hopes are to dedicate myself more fully to it when I retire later this year.
I'm not fooling myself that I'll ever be considered anything close to an expert, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy what I can accomplish...

Just like everything else.

Last edited by menhir; 02-25-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Not really a genre but I would like to score films. Hey, Spielberg! My phone is always on!
Old 02-25-2019, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Someday, I am going to learn to play the pedal steel guitar. It is my favourite instrument to listen too and just sounds so beautiful in the hands of a master player.
It's a whole 'nother ball game! I recently gave it up after 44 years due to lack of work in my area, plus the 65 pounds was getting too hard to load for the 74 year old back. It's not an easy instrument to play (both feet, both hands, both knees, both eyes) and you have to play every day or you lose your chops. I love the sound and the music (I've backed numerous Country Music Hall of Fame member over the years) but I'm not a 'bedroom' player so decided it was time to give it up. If you start, invest in a GOOD guitar, not some low level student thing, then learn a few things that you can play IN TUNE and then find a band that will let you play with then - that's the only way you'll learn - you have to get out of the house and play the thing. Also, most areas have some sort of steel guitar club that welcomes all levels of players. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 02-25-2019, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
It's a whole 'nother ball game! I recently gave it up after 44 years due to lack of work in my area, plus the 65 pounds was getting too hard to load for the 74 year old back. It's not an easy instrument to play (both feet, both hands, both knees, both eyes) and you have to play every day or you lose your chops. I love the sound and the music (I've backed numerous Country Music Hall of Fame member over the years) but I'm not a 'bedroom' player so decided it was time to give it up. If you start, invest in a GOOD guitar, not some low level student thing, then learn a few things that you can play IN TUNE and then find a band that will let you play with then - that's the only way you'll learn - you have to get out of the house and play the thing. Also, most areas have some sort of steel guitar club that welcomes all levels of players. GOOD LUCK!!
Another fan of the pedal steel guitar. That sound is fabulous in the hands of a good player/musician. Sounds like you had an enjoyable career. It is one of those instruments that I hope has younger folks who want to keep that traditional instrument alive.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-25-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Thank you very much for your thoughtful post, Skip!
Old 02-25-2019, 12:23 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
I hear you, and I have no hints. If you learn to relax and go with the flow in Celtic DADGAD, please let me know how you did it.

And yeah, I also bought a guitar for this express purpose.
I bought a book on dadgad chords. It's has a lot of inversions. It's not perfect, but a decent start. It's called "The Big DADGAD Chord Book."

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-25-2019, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Another fan of the pedal steel guitar. That sound is fabulous in the hands of a good player/musician. Sounds like you had an enjoyable career. It is one of those instruments that I hope has younger folks who want to keep that traditional instrument alive.

Best,
Jayne
Unfortunately, NO, it doesn't appear so for various reasons: 1.) they're expensive (min $1800 for a used, decent single neck - new double neck runs anywhere from $4K-$6K) plus you have to add a decent amp with a lot of headroom, especially with C6th tuning on a double neck - then there's a volume pedal, seat, etc. 2.) they're HEAVY in most cases 3.) they're just not used in country music much any more so they're not heard. Another problem is, you can't go running to your friendly neighborhood guitar tech if you have a problem - you have to be able to work on them, change setups,etc. Most of the younger people nowadays don't know how to use a screwdriver, much less dismantle and setup a double neck, 8 pedal, 7 knee lever steel guitar.
Out of 17 players at a recent steel guitar jam here in central Florida, there was no one under 55 or so - most were in 70s and 80s. We're all dying out with no replacements in sight.....sad for sure.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:26 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
I've got some books and I really want to learn some tunes as this music is one of the few styles that really 'speaks' to me any more. The melodies of the Irish and Scottish folk tunes are some of the most beautiful ever written IMHO.

What guitar did you buy?
Check out Stephen Wake, most of his stuff is in orkney tuning though. Beautiful music.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-25-2019, 01:36 PM

Some of the most interesting acoustic guitar music to me, the "New Age" stuff, the "tappers", and Hawaiian slack key, often use alternate tunings. I like the sound, but like others, that idea drives me nuts.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Check out Stephen Wake, most of his stuff is in orkney tuning though. Beautiful music.
I listen to and enjoy him a lot.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGinNJ View Post
Some of the most interesting acoustic guitar music to me, the "New Age" stuff, the "tappers", and Hawaiian slack key, often use alternate tunings. I like the sound, but like others, that idea drives me nuts.
Haven't heard "New Age" in a long while - thought it was gone. Slack key is cool and I've messed with it a little. "Tappers"? Not in this lifetime - those people should just go buy a drum if that's what they want to do - guitars are not for beating on. I guess some flamenco players do it a little but that's a different thing. I'm old and like things traditional.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion